DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images

Portable Hammock Stand for 12' Hammock - What Options?

Does anyone know of any vendors, currently in business, who sell a portable hammock stand that will work with a 12-foot hammock?
    I know that YoboGear sells the Hive and Tensa Outdoor sells the Tensa4. Both of those will work with a 12-foot hammock, but I'm looking for other options to consider.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Images
    Maybe a Facebook Marketplace Thunderdome?

https://i.kickstarter.com/assets/024...uILJybSEpLw%3D

Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 04-25-2024 at 02:58.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post
    Maybe a Facebook Marketplace Thunderdome?

https://i.kickstarter.com/assets/024...uILJybSEpLw%3D

Thanks Joe! I wasn't aware of this one.

However, I should have added the caveat that the stand also needs to be able to support up to at least 300 lbs. I'm a big boy. The Hang Solo can only support up to 250 lbs, so it won't work for me. It's a moot point anyway, since they are sold out on their website.

Still watching to see if anyone else knows of any other stands.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Images
    So, if you define portability and weight limitations then that will help to narrow it down.

https://www.amazon.com/SUNCREAT-Heav...09D7PTPH1?th=1

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post
    So, if you define portability and weight limitations then that will help to narrow it down.

https://www.amazon.com/SUNCREAT-Heav...09D7PTPH1?th=1
    This Amazon stand, like many of the others I've seen on Amazon, is for hammocks that are 11' or less.
    But you are absolutely correct. If I really want targeted suggestions, I should provide some constraints/limitations/considerations, etc.
    To that end, please see the following criteria:

Required (must meet all these criteria):

• Currently available for purchase (not sold out or only available as a Kickstarter project)
    • Fits 12' hammocks
    • Supports at least 300 pounds
    • No curved component poles (small connecting pieces may have a slight bend)
    • No (or very little) flex - will maintain SRL tension when the hammock fully loaded
    • Must allow a 12' hammock to have at least 18" ground clearance when fully loaded
      • Most free standing Amazon hammock stands will fail this criteria
      • The only way I know to ensure a stand meets this criteria is for it to have the capability to adjust the height or to be designed specifically with camping hammocks in mind

Desired (prefer that it meets all these criteria, but will consider stands that may not meet all of these):

• Free standing (much preferred, but will consider Tensa-style stands or other creative ideas that require them to be staked)
    • Total weight (including any carrying bag) is less than 30 pounds (the lighter, the better of course; but will consider any total weight at this point)
    • Packed length doesn't exceed 36" (the smaller the packed size the better as well; it will need to fit in a car trunk and/or be strapped to canoe thwarts)
    • Designed to also support 12' or longer camping tarps
    • Available for purchase online
    • Cottage vendor
    • Made in USA (this could be a stretch I know)
    • Able to construct/deconstruct without tools
    • No small parts to lose (like washers, nuts, etc.)
      • I realize that most stands will likely require, at a minimum, some sort of coupler or shaft locking pins or similar hardware
      • But bonus if any required small hardware is permanent attached to the poles
      • Also bonus if any small hardware is commonly available for purchase when a replacement is needed (not custom-made or purpose-crafted for the stand)

Price is not a consideration at the moment. I'm just looking for options to consider.
    Primary use will be for car and/or canoe camping when there are few trees or local restrictions against hanging from trees.

I probably have missed a few things I haven't thought of yet. I'll update if/when they come to mind. But this should help frame what I'm looking for.

Both the YoboGear Hive and Tensa4 meet all the required and most of the desired criteria. I'm just curious if there are any other options.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I wonder, with those stands - like the one referenced above - if you could find some pipe or thick PVC that would fit (as snugly as possible) over the support bar to add an extra foot to foot and a half. Being that short, it doesn't seem like it would have to endure excessive bending force. But it would open the support up to more hammock sizes - even a bridge - and make it easy to deploy a tarp.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    If you cannot find a vender to meet your bid specifications, the DIY should meet your needs.

I purchased all of the below items and had the metal shop cut the Schedule 80 pipe, so the pipe was purchased as polished aluminum.

23-lbs for all of the pipe, and then whatever the five Tarps.com pieces weigh. You may cut the pipes to lengths and have 2 bags for less than 30 lbs.

I have this set up in the home at this very moment, 160-inches ridgepole length and 80-inch legs.

Each 80-inch could be cut in half for 40-inch lengths and add six couplers for ease of assembly.

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0297[1].JPG

This is very thick pipe, and will support my 200 lbs without any bend in the ridgepole.
    IMG_0018.JPG

Total $34.00 Dollars at Tarps.com

Qnty. (1) Product Name: 1 3/8" Tubing Splicer - 2 Way Fitting (FC-138) $5.40 ea

Qnty. (4) Product Name: 1 3/8" Flat Open L - 2 Way Fitting (FOL-138) $7.15 ea
    https://tarps.com/products/1-3-8-fla...pr_seq=uniform

The following Aluminum Tubing...

Item Description – 0.581 lbs/foot
    Qnty. (2) Part#: API61140 20-foot 1" Sch.40 Aluminum Pipe 6061-T6
    (1.315"od x .133"wall = 1.049"id)*
    (Cut in thirds) – 6.66-feet each or 80"

Each 6.66-foot section (weight is 6.66 x 0.581) = 3.87-lbs
    3.87-lbs x 6 (poles) = 22.88 lbs for the frame

Heck, if you want, I can have Westbrook Metals cut all the pipes to your specifications and then you can pay for shipment to your location. This way, you get what you want. No problem for me, I just make a phone call... you don't pay me, only deal with Westbrook Metals Invoice and Tarps.com.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Thanks for the suggestion and for the offer, Joe. I actually dabbled in the DIY stand realm already. I made my own tensahedron stand using EMT a couple of years ago following instructions I found here on the forum. I didn't much care for the instability (I taco-ed more than once). But worse, my fluffy fannie was too much to handle and I kept bending poles. I bent and replaced poles several times and it quickly became clear that I needed to have used thicker EMT even though others who had built the stand before indicated that the thickness I used would be more than adequate for my weight. Eventually I sold it to a much lighter hanger at a group hang.

I'm not opposed to going the DIY route again and almost certainly will if the $1200 Hive is the only realistic free standing option available to me. But it was a lot of work and I'd prefer to find a ready-made stand. I was just hoping that our growing life-above-ground community might have spawned a few more enterprising mousetrap builders by now. From my own research and the relative lack of responses to this thread, it appears that YoboGear and Tensa Outdoors seem to have cornered the market at the moment. But I'm hoping someone proves me wrong.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I wonder, with those stands - like the one referenced above - if you could find some pipe or thick PVC that would fit (as snugly as possible) over the support bar to add an extra foot to foot and a half. Being that short, it doesn't seem like it would have to endure excessive bending force. But it would open the support up to more hammock sizes - even a bridge - and make it easy to deploy a tarp.
    Interesting thought. I've tried a couple of these types of 'open' stands in the past though and there is usually fairly substantial flexing for me, even with a hammock without an SRL. I would think that lengthening support post distance would only exacerbate this tendency. But maybe if I lengthen AND add some sort of horizontal support as well ....

But then again, I might as well build my own at that point.

• + New Posts