Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Quick look at Morrow Mountain State Park group sites online - $62 per night, max 35 people per site. Water, bath house and toilets available. You can make reservations 6 months in advance, so the window for the Fall hang reservation time will be about May 1st. We usually have more than 35 I believe so we would probably need to rent two sites. I wouldn't want to restrict it - "OK...1st 35 people who sign up get the spots!" But then it gets pricey. Say 3 nights (Thu-Sun), 2 sites = $372. The park's website says most of the campground is closed for major renovations, but the group sites are still open. And then there is the no alcohol allowed...

I think this will be our most expensive, most money-risky option but the best option in terms of available facilities and camping safety. Just an option to consider. But a $$$ option.
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Yes, I’m still looking at campgrounds. Went too late today to talk with anyone at Badin Lake and Arrowhead Campgrounds.
    Looked and saw group campsites designated with letters instead of numbers….Group campsites A B C D…
    Somehow did not see Arrowhead group campsites.
    Going to doctor tomorrow for foot skin maintenance
    Maybe go back to campgrounds Wednesday

This weekend, camping with my family.

Also El Dorado camp store owns a private campsite. It’s mainly a mowed meadow for tents.

It has a shelter and some amenities, it’s been so long, I don’t remember. I’ll check it2
    And I’ve got to see how far back in woods we can set up hammocks. I think back of that property border’s Uwharrie Trail—-if so, we could camp anywhere back in there. That could be our best bet.

Another possibility is to have twin hangs on Time Change Weekend—one at Yates and one at a nearby paid campground. That way no one would have to camp somewhere they did not like.

This fall’s Yates Hang could be Retro like it was when first started by Running Feather—“ever man fur hisself”
    Our new campsite will hopefully have electric, water spigot, flush toilets, sinks with hot and cold water, and maybe showers.

We will explore our options, including continuing Yates at Yates with no substitutes.

Several of us will join together, one weekend, possibly this month or next month, to check out campgrounds. Multiple hammock campers have been known to think up a storm.

We are Yates

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Yes, I’m still looking at campgrounds. Went too late today to talk with anyone at Badin Lake and Arrowhead Campgrounds.
    Looked and saw group campsites designated with letters instead of numbers….Group campsites A B C D…
    Somehow did not see Arrowhead group campsites.
    Going to doctor tomorrow for foot skin maintenance
    Maybe go back to campgrounds Wednesday

This weekend, camping with my family.

Also El Dorado camp store owns a private campsite. It’s mainly a mowed meadow for tents.

It has a shelter and some amenities, it’s been so long, I don’t remember. I’ll check it2
    And I’ve got to see how far back in woods we can set up hammocks. I think back of that property border’s Uwharrie Trail—-if so, we could camp anywhere back in there. That could be our best bet.

Another possibility is to have twin hangs on Time Change Weekend—one at Yates and one at a nearby paid campground. That way no one would have to camp somewhere they did not like.

This fall’s Yates Hang could be Retro like it was when first started by Running Feather—“ever man fur hisself”
    Our new campsite will hopefully have electric, water spigot, flush toilets, sinks with hot and cold water, and maybe showers.

We will explore our options, including continuing Yates at Yates with no substitutes.

Several of us will join together, one weekend, possibly this month or next month, to check out campgrounds. Multiple hammock campers have been known to think up a storm.

We are Yates
    Best to you on the search. Change happens. You sure had a lot of good hangs at Yates.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Thank you Shug. We love you, man, world traveler, explorer of the near impossible.

Maybe we can have twin hangs. We are Yates.
    Yates has hold of my soul. Yates is truly a laid back hang….no one is required to do anything…except lollygag. We have a few activities, none are mandatory.

Reminds me of a true story “I was minding my own business when”…..

Whatever is decided, I’m sure that we will go with the group, and yes we will probably be caught saying that it so different,or a bit further or whatever, but in the end it’s mostly about seeing old friends, making new friends, and enjoying the outdoors. We are Yates! We can adapt! We will survive! We will even thrive! If change must be the order of the day, then let’s make it fun!
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Hickery's Favorite
    Insulation
    UQ: HG 20F
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    There's a wide range of "Hipcamp" sites that might be worth considering as well (think AirBNB for campers). This one is in Yadkinville and has 160 acres with access to drinking water, pond, creek in the woods, etc. They also sell firewood (along with their own beef and pork). No vagrants. No Forest Rangers. Could be interesting....

https://www.hipcamp.com/en-US/land/n...s=1&children=0

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Discussion moving Yates to a different location

I visited a private campground very near Eldorado Outpost (camp store)
    Men’s and Women’s bathrooms.
    Flush toilets
    Sinks
    Showers
    Hot and cold water
    Pavilion
    Electric outlets in room at pavilion
    Water spigot with drinking water
    Adequate parking

$500 for Thursday Friday Saturday nights until Sunday
    Each adult camper would pay $20
    Kids with family are free
    Socialized dogs on leash permitted
    This will cover both campground and firewood
    You may additionally tip your cooks if you and our fantastic chefs are so inclined.

The owner of this private campground is-was owner of Eldorado Outpost. He is-has sold the outpost, but is still there for advice for new owner

This campground policy like all other campgrounds I’ve checked———No Alcohol Zero Tolerance

Directions to this campground
    From Eldorado Outpost go north on 109
    Turn Left at first road Mullinix Road also called US Forest Service Road 1154 Troy NC

Then take first Left onto gravel road
    Might have a sign Riverbend Foundation

I believe this is our best option for a good campsite near Yates
    Maybe several of us can go tour this and any other campsites in the area.
    This campsite has fire rings, a large mowed (bush hogged) field. And enough trees for 40 and possibly 50 hammock campers.

If we go here, I propose that we continue Yates Hang too!
    We can try this for our 2024 fall hang and our 2025 spring hang.
    This way everyone can camp where they want to camp.
    Some campers will continue to camp at Yates, and some will choose our new campground

Address Google Maps
    Riverbend Foundation
    275 US Forest Service Road 1154, Troy NC 27371

US Forest Service Road is also called Mullinix Road
    The road going opposite way at 109 is marked with a sign Old Thayer Mill Road.

They host many camping events.
    Everyone is free to make their own decisions. We can try this for a fall and spring hang. And if not satisfied we can individually and or as a group decide to return to Yates Place Campground.

The reason for this possible change is the increase of mentally unstable campers at Yates. I believe this will happen more as time goes on.

How do you tell if a camper is mentally unstable?
    Possibly on illegal drugs, excessive alcohol consumption….and most of all…they have a hammock, and begin true stories with “I was minding my own business, when……..”
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 04-18-2024 at 15:13.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Some of our more experienced Yates campers have a long history with Yates. Our memories of Yates hangs are always with us.
    Maybe it would be best to continue Yates Hang on Time Change Weekend in perpetuity….always…..forever

And then insert new hangs at campgrounds, with amenities, into our fall and spring calendars.
    We will have to look at schedules of other hangs in Virginia, South Carolina as well as North Carolina.

This new hang with amenities could also be on Facebook…if if if Facebook hammock groups are interested. There are at least three past and present Facebook North Carolina hammock camping groups. So many their names escape my meager mind.

This could give area hammock campers a place to group camp, that is a bit more closer in time to better seasonal weather, than Yates.
    Some years we’ve had late spring snowstorms at Yates. By having a hang one month later in spring and one month earlier in fall….possibly we can have better temperatures for campers who also want a campground with full facilities.

Scheduling can be challenging, and there can be too many hangs scheduled during spring and fall months…even if they are not same weekend.

This is a discussion group thread. And possibly there might be future hangs scheduled.
    Your opinions are valued. Please help Phantom think, otherwise I’ll mess up.
    Thanks hammock creatures

I too, want to go to group hangs that are not over regimented, with hourly schedules requiring me to do anything but lollygagging.
    Some group activities are good to have, but nothing should be required

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon
    Tarp
    Hg dcf 12 winter
    Insulation
    Cro 20 set
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    We will alwas be yates no mater where we move to
    Not all those who wander are lost

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    "The reason for this possible change is the increase of mentally unstable campers at Yates. I believe this will happen more as time goes on." Im afraid its too late Phantom.. weve All gone downhill

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast