WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Discussion moving Yates to a different location

A number of Yates campers and Old Pro Yates campers have spoken to me about moving Yates Time Change Weekend Camp to a nearby PAID campground with a group campsite just for us campers. Preferably a site with Flush Toilets, Sinks with Hot and Cold running water, Men’s and Women’s Showers, and Spigots with Potable Drinking Water.
    And also our chance meetings with other campers who are not Yates, and are drunk and disruptive, and possibly on illegal drugs, and having various mental meltdowns.

Problems
    A charge would be required to pay for our group campsite. Each camper would be charged a fee just to attend.
    Scheduling and renting group campsite as many as nine months in advance.
    Also some of our Yates campers would still choose to camp at Yates on time change weekend. This could be even if I did not post a hang at Yates.
    And there would be no guarantee that another camper would post it, even if I did not.
    Would campground allow our wood delivery as before, or would we be required to buy their campground wood?

We would call it the Time Change Weekend Hang at (fill in location)

Possible locations
    Morrow Mountain at past Tar Heel State Hangers camp
    Badin Lake Campground group site
    Falls Lake
    Medoc Mountain

We welcome your comments and thoughtful opinions. Please help Phantom think.
    We await your discussion here

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I am in favor of this change. Keeping the hangs in the same general area as Yates would be favorable. Badin Lake Campground Group Site sounds interesting. A modest charge per hammock (or tent) would be worth it for improved facilities and our own reserved site.

Questions:
    - Are there adequate trees for our hammocks?
    - Can the site accommodate 40 to 60 attendees?
    - Adequate parking?
    - Taz's kitchen OK?

Others?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    A few of thoughts, FWIW:
    1. I like the idea of a group site like Morrow Mountain because it's away from other camping areas and we wouldn't have much noise from others. Same thing with Baden Lake, but it's not as close to the water. Logistics are a bit more challenging for the hang organizer (i.e., Phantom) with this kind of a solution, I realize, so may suggest that you get assistance from others in the future to make the administrative burden light (many hands make light work, and all that). I am happy to pitch in and help, and I am betting others would be willing to as well.
    2. I don't mind paying for camp sites. It can't be THAT expensive, can it? Especially if we get a group site.
    3. As far as amenities go, I was totally cool with what is available at Yates, but I realize that not everyone is. Maybe more would come if there were slightly more amenities (e.g., water, flush toilets, showers, etc.).
    4. The alternative locations you mention are all fine with me, but Falls Lake and Medoc Mountain may be a different drive situations for some.
    5. For firewood, that sounds like a logistical issue that could potentially be overcome through negotiation with the property owners.

Thank you for asking for input on this! WE ARE YATES (or some close facsimile thereof)!
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    I agree with PappyAmos and iceman - I think it’s a good idea to move to a paid site where we can control the camp environment more and make it welcoming to all hangers including those with young families in attendance. All hangs are social, but this one has historically been low key and focused around casual meals, the Purdy Boil, the campfire, and individuals showcasing their favorite gear while helping others learn. I don’t think we need/should turn it into a more commercial event with sponsors. So a modest attendance fee would be the trade-off.

I would also echo the need to select a campground with a lot of trees suitable to hanging so we don’t have to rely on hammock stands to fit the group (unless that’s a personal preference from some campers).

If we go with a paid site with amenities, there will be a charge/deposit required well in advance for the campground rental. And I think we’d need to set-up some form of electronic pay system for the host to manage those costs that are not currently associated with Yates. I don’t think it would be much on a per head basis assuming we get the usual attendance that Time Change Weekend/Yates brings. But the host shouldn’t be out of pocket for hangers whose plans change after they have signed-up and committed to the dates. I know that’s an advantage of Yates - plans do change and Yates makes that flexible. So some people may be out a few $ for the reservation fees if they later can’t make it, but the trade-off would be more amenities, friendlier environs, and a dedicated area for just our group.

if we go this route, someone with some tech and organizational skills will need to volunteer to help Phantom with a simple payment and reservation system.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I agree with everything that has been mentioned above. I'm all for a move to a more organized area not necessarily an over organized hang. I can deal with and appreciate the camping situation at Yates but some amenities would, at least for me, make for a more enjoyable experience.

1) Firewood - If you remember the Medoc hangs Greg had firewood provided but I think we had to go get it. Hickery has wood delivered to Grayson.

2) Losing people - I've noticed a splintering of people into small groups in the last couple of years and having their own mini hang. It's VERY understandable that some want to be off doing there own thing. They may continue to camp at
    Yates and choose not to follow to a new site.

3) Organization - Unfortunately moving to a group camp will require more planning and everyone would be expected to share at least some of the expense. Not to mention voluntarily participate to some degree in camp chores.

I'm retired and have plenty of time to assist in whatever way needed according to my abilities.
    Got time to breath, you got time for music - Brisco Darlin

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY winter/summer
    Insulation
    DIY Costco UQ/TQ
    Images
    We're up in Northern VA (Fredericksburg) and used to go to Medoc Mtn when Greg/Trish coordinated those (3 hour drive). Falls lake might be doable for us (4 hour drive)....Yates and Morrow mountain is more like 5+hour drive, and pushing our limits. We'll keep watching.

...Bob

Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    I think it should be explored.
    "I like grits,because they have no bones" Chet Atkins

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon
    Tarp
    Hg dcf 12 winter
    Insulation
    Cro 20 set
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    I’m ok with ether way the locals at Yates seems to always get on the weirder side a lot of times.but getting to another camp site might be harder for me unless it’s like morrow
    Not all those who wander are lost

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_tom View Post
    I’m ok with ether way the locals at Yates seems to always get on the weirder side a lot of times.but getting to another camp site might be harder for me unless it’s like morrow
    Another reason Baden Lake Group Camp - only about 10 miles from Yates. Same firewood guy would probably deliver there too.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AA2FD View Post
    We're up in Northern VA (Fredericksburg) and used to go to Medoc Mtn when Greg/Trish coordinated those (3 hour drive). Falls lake might be doable for us (4 hour drive)....Yates and Morrow mountain is more like 5+hour drive, and pushing our limits. We'll keep watching.

...Bob
    Good to hear from you Bob. Would be great to see you guys again. Angel must be in her 20s now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast