WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Superior suspension and bridge hammock dog bones

I just received a superior suspension buckle set. I am very impressed with the design and functionality of the suspension- its pretty sweet! My only question is , I am using the buckles on a bridge hammock, and noticed the amsteel dogbones tend to flatten out where they go thru the hooks on the buckles. Is this going to compromise the strength of the dog bone? Has anyone had any problems with this? Thx!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've been hanging hammock off of amsteel loops and Superior Gear buckles for a few years with no bad results. I think you will be just fine. Dogbones are amsteel right..?
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    I just received a superior suspension buckle set. I am very impressed with the design and functionality of the suspension- its pretty sweet! My only question is , I am using the buckles on a bridge hammock, and noticed the amsteel dogbones tend to flatten out where they go thru the hooks on the buckles. Is this going to compromise the strength of the dog bone? Has anyone had any problems with this? Thx!
    Anytime you combine metal hardware that introduces a hard bend with rope- you'll eventually generate some wear.

Being thicker (as compared to beetle buckles for example) there is likely less wear with the Superior Buckles.

Carabiners, being roughly double the diameter of the amsteel, well polished/finished and rounded, pretty much stretch that 'eventually' into 'practically never'.
    Or basically- you'll probably wear out the bridge itself before you kill the amsteel.

I haven't had the chance to play with the Superior Suspension enough to seriously comment, but I do have a few now to test this upcoming season.
    One reason I was interested in them was that you can directly clip a carabiner to them, which is something many of my customers prefer.

Long point being- the simplest solution remains to clip a carabiner to the buckle- and your bridge to the carabiner.

When you want to reduce hardware but still play it safe- a soft shackle or doubled over continuous loop does the job.
    I like the soft shackle because you can leave it attached, and just loop it over the buckles.
    Being handy enough to splice yourself- directly splicing a loop is something I do for some of my personal bridges too.

If you're talking about an end bar bridge where you can easily replace any worn dogbones... I wouldn't consider it an issue worth debating.
    You're probably talking about a few hundred nights before you'd consider replacement.

If you're talking about a bridge like mine where the suspension is functionally part of the bridge (not easily repaired or replaced) then it's worth some more debate.

When you're talking about 'home use' or base camp use- then erring on the side of caution makes additional sense. After all- who cares about clipping in a spare carabiner?
    Repeating the exact same hang night after night on a hard edged piece of hardware would wear it out. In much the same way a buckle will kink the webbing when set to the exact same spot.

But in the field... you probably have enough dynamic use (changing setups) you can get away with it if you want to save some grams.
    And if you're talking a few dozen nights a year... probably not a big risk.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I've been hanging hammock off of amsteel loops and Superior Gear buckles for a few years with no bad results. I think you will be just fine. Dogbones are amsteel right..?
    Shug
    Yes- amsteel!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thx Bill! I'm really impressed with these buckles. They are crazy easy to adjust and you save a bit of minimum distance between trees ( compared to whoopie slings)

--unknown

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Thx Bill! I'm really impressed with these buckles. They are crazy easy to adjust and you save a bit of minimum distance between trees ( compared to whoopie slings)
    Yar- that was the other big reason I wanted to give them a shot.
    I used to dismiss the issue (easy adjustment)... but it literally hit home when I watched my wife struggle to break another system after hanging.

Former climber/carpenter so I'm pretty bad at being sensitive to that struggle and this suspension looks to be a good solution for folks.

Glad to hear it's working for you and excited to see how this season goes for us as we test them out more.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Yar
    Bill are you by any chance a fan of the Gunslinger series by Stephen King? Do you ken it? Long days and pleasant nights.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    Bill are you by any chance a fan of the Gunslinger series by Stephen King? Do you ken it? Long days and pleasant nights.
    I'll set my watch and warrant on it.

An may you have twice the number Sai.

• + New Posts