Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I use a bridge- so long as you got 15' or so worth of suspension you can run 35' without climbing higher than you can reach.

Though starts to feel a bit like slack lining rather than hanging at some point, lol.

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Wise Owl (for now)
    Insulation
    HangtightNaturhike
    Suspension
    Straps and DIY UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I use a bridge- so long as you got 15' or so worth of suspension you can run 35' without climbing higher than you can reach.

Though starts to feel a bit like slack lining rather than hanging at some point, lol.
    What do you mean a bridge?
    New to hanging!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    MikeCD - a bridge is a type of hammock that uses spreader bars at the ends. The bars are usually aluminum and around 35 to 40 inches. Often the head end is wider (bar is longer) than the foot end. A commonly used Bridge Hammock is the Warbonnet RidgeRunner. Dutchware has its Banyon and even REI offered its model. Other vendors have their own version.

Because the ends are held upon - instead of closed as with a gathered end hammock - the body shapes more like a shallow bathtub. There are plenty of posts and YouTube videos to describe the characteristics. Just Google WB RidgeRunner and add YouTube for the video examples.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    So now I’m wondering: doesn’t a bridge hammock still need the same hang angle as a gathered end?

I thought the reason for the 30 degree suspension was to minimize the forces on the trees and on either the hammock or the hammock’s structural ridgeline (if it has one).

But I am not super familiar with bridge hammocks. So I could be missing something.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCD View Post
    What do you mean a bridge?
    Bridge Hammock......

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic View Post
    So now I’m wondering: doesn’t a bridge hammock still need the same hang angle as a gathered end?

I thought the reason for the 30 degree suspension was to minimize the forces on the trees and on either the hammock or the hammock’s structural ridgeline (if it has one).

But I am not super familiar with bridge hammocks. So I could be missing something.
    They generally take a bit less of an angle....25 degrees or so.
    From Warbonnet site:
    Ridgerunner Setup
    Ridgerunner setup is similar to the above setup in that you want the foot end of the hammock set higher, but maybe only 12′′ higher instead of 16′′ on the Blackbirds. You might set the suspension slightly tighter as well, closer to a 25 deg angle. There is a built-in neck support, Most like to lay with their neck on that high spot and their head in the slight divot behind it.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    They generally take a bit less of an angle....25 degrees or so.
    From Warbonnet site:
    Ridgerunner Setup
    Ridgerunner setup is similar to the above setup in that you want the foot end of the hammock set higher, but maybe only 12′′ higher instead of 16′′ on the Blackbirds. You might set the suspension slightly tighter as well, closer to a 25 deg angle. There is a built-in neck support, Most like to lay with their neck on that high spot and their head in the slight divot behind it.
    Interesting. I learned something new.

Thanks, Shug!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    You have a world of good information here. Everybody's contributions are useful, but there's no single way you could implement them all, so you may discover a hybrid set-up that will be quite different from my hybrid set-up (or anybody else's). I use a bridge hammock with a structural ridgeline to maintain the hammock's sag angle. Then to mitigate the extra tension on the suspension when the trees are too far apart, I place my tree straps as high on the trees as I can, but not as high as I'd need to if I didn't have that SRL. Note that the sag angle will be quite different with a bridge than a gathered end hammock. Find your most comfortable sleeping position and work from there. I have climbed on sticks to reach higher, like popcorn fool, and have fallen from a height of 2 ft. on occasion, which is embarrassing and sometimes painful. I should experiment more with using my trekking poles as a post at one end (or both). I don't trust stakes to anchor them though - use a tree(s).

You can hang with a single tree AND a strong enough pole and ground anchor. I like a stout down tree as a ground anchor...but YMMV.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    [QUOTE=Semiuseless;2097983]You can hang with a single tree AND a strong enough pole and ground anchor. I like a stout down tree as a ground anchor...but YMMV. [QUOTE]

The No Ground Hiking Pole video is a bit outdates as of now. Tensa has made much easier to use gear since then.....

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast