Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB

synthetic insulation

i'm a member of a local rescue unit HCRU (Huntsville Cave Rescue Unit) and we do also do land searches. I have a bag that is strictly for search and rescue that's always packed and in my car. i have a SLD topquilt and bottom quilt that's synthetic that is not packed and stored uncompressed. My question is if i stuff it in my backpack that stays in the car (because you never know when a callout will come) how long does it take the synthetic fibers to get destroyed and not keep me warm if we have to stay overnight?

thanks
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

I own four synthetic Wiggy's sleeping bags, a nautilus, a hunter, an ultima thule, and an overbag that are all about 15 years old and are stored compressed in an uninsulated garage. I have noticed absolutely zero loss in loft and I go camping a lot. Wiggy's insulation is called lamilite which is made by climashield and so should be comparable to, if not the same as, apex. Wiggy's is very confident in their bags and offer a lifetime guarantee (which companies do that any more by the way?) should their bags lose loft, they will be replaced. Unfortunately, Wiggy's bags are very heavy and they don't compress very well at all and so I had to make my own apex top quilts and under quilts.

I've read about other's issues with synthetic insulation, but I wonder if they are caring for their bags properly? I follow all the Wiggy's guidance for care with my home made apex quilts, I wash them regularly, usually after only two hangs, I don't use any fabric softener, and I tumble dry them on very low and make sure they are good and dry before I store them compressed. During a hang, I give them some time to loft up after I pull them out of my bag, usually only about 30 minutes and they seem to have all restored their loft after being compressed. Wiggy's states on their website that if their lamilite isn't washed, oil from perspiration builds up on the synthetic fibers and will cause both a loss in loft and temperature ratings. I have noticed the very same thing with my home made quilts, after they are washed, they loft up so much more. I have read about others who wash their quilts and bags maybe only once a year! I know it's kind of gross to think of but my bags have had to deal with a lot of sweat and humidity. I've woken up with frost on the outside top of my sleeping bag which is caused by my perspiration and sweat wicking through the bag so I have no doubt that oil builds up on the synthetic fibers if left unchecked.

I hope this info helps!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    thanks for the reply. i really need to keep these in my rescue bag packed and ready to go because you never know when i may have to go out on a call. i may never have to use the two quilts so they won't get too dirty or get a lot of oil from use.

i think i'm going to take the chance and have them packed in my bag .
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I get that time is of the essence, but what if you kept them uncompressed in your car and spent the 2 minutes stuffing them into your go bag when you and your team gear up.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    How much other stuff is in your go-bag? My lady keeps hers in her backpack full time but not in a compression sack, just loose. If you don't have loads of other things in the bag they may not be getting "compressed" as much as if they were in their own bags.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    It’s more that the quilts in the bag. It’s all kinds of first aid stuff, ropes, carabiner and webbing etc. it’s everything that I may need while out on the search.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Test, mike test,

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Another vote for wiggys stuff for long term compressed storage. At one point the air force was using vacuum sealed wiggys bags for its pilots I believe.

Ive had one that ive used for an emergency car bag for years. I once pulled it out on a car camping trip where it got colder than expected, and even after being stuffed for 5+ years it was fine. They are **** heavy though.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diamondback
    Suspension
    Becket or whoopie
    If you had them loosely stored in a "storage bag" or large compression sack (or just a big trash bag) in your car/trunk, it would be quick and easy to compress it when time to pack it and hike in for an emergency. You could probably get it down to around 30-seconds.
    Or perhaps getting a very big pack that you can let it fill the upper parts of so it is only minimally compressed.
    Thanks for what you do for those in emergency situations!

hi,

my main sleeping bag I am using, is from 1996. For me the insulation is still good. Might have been better when it was brand new, but it's not gonna completely loose it's properties. I don't see the necessity to replace it with anything brand new, as long as it performs according to my requirements. The zipper broke, and I replaced it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast