Question Need advice for camping and/or sleeping hammock

Hello, I am brand new to this forum. I apologize if this sort of question is in the wrong area (Camping Hammocks area?), if I need to move it please let me know.

I am searching for a higher quality camping hammock with a mosquito net built into it. I am also a heavier person, I would need something that is able to take over 300lbs. (currently 280 but slowly losing weight)

I've tried to research this before but I quickly become so overwhelmed with tons of brands and I wanted to see if you experts would give me a good place to start.

I'm wanting to use it either with a metal hammock stand with adjustable hooks (for sleeping in backyard) Or for future camping trips that I could somehow string between two trees. I'm hoping this will replace the need for a tent essentially.

I'm also thinking of something to help make sure I don't get wet if it rains but I read it is not a good idea to get a built in rain cover. What would be an ideal way to keep dry otherwise?
    -----------------
    -----------------
    Lastly, does anyone have recommendations for a indoor sleeping hammock in particular? I'm thinking of trying it as an alternative to a mattress to see if it would help my apnea/sleep quality.
    -----------------
    -----------------
    Thanks in advance!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome to the hammock forums Wilford! I know you'll get a lot of good information from the group. You will want to try for a 11' hammock length (at least), and likely a fabric that will support the weight. A lot of cottage vendor hammocks can be ordered in different fabrics and even multiple layers of fabric (which can hold more weight).

I'd also like to recommend watching some of Shug's videos to get a better sense of what you should be looking for. It's a steep learning curve, but you'll quickly decide what's going to work for you. Here's a link to one of his playlists: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8752777861C2AA8

Enjoy!
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Perfect I will give that a watch later today and see if I can try to narrow down what I'm looking for. Ideally I want something that will last a long time and I have a decent budge to pay for quality. I'm glad to see that it is a learning curve and all, I became overwhelmed so quickly!

Thanks!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Welcome to a better way to sleep! I sleep in cotton Brazilian hammock every night at home. I secured it to studs in the wall with the Dutchware hook kit.
    My camping hammock is a trail lair from Jared at Simply light Designs. You will need a tarp and underquilt or pad to keep your tush warm at night. Dutchware, HammockGear and others have full starter kits. You can buy the pieces separately, as well. The fabric used in the Hammock construction will be pertinent to your weight and how much "give" you want in your hammock. Any of the manufacturers on here should be happy to talk to you about their offerings. Check out the vendor section of the forum for contact info and zip them an email.
    Looking forward to hearing what you end up with.

Charlotte

Take a look at the subforum "Hammock Gear - Manufacturers and Services" to get a feel for the various cottage vendors whom have been popular with folks here. There are at least a half dozen vendors that offer what you may want. Browse their websites. Rain protection comes from a separate fly. Built-in covers are rare and much less versatile.

Edit. Update after typing the above:

I see xMagnolia had some similar suggestions.
    Last edited by TominMN; 07-20-2023 at 18:18.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images

Exclamation

This is important ... don't look for "perfect" immediately!

Many come into hammocks expecting immediate panacea and give up too soon when they discover that the road to Nirvana has some detours and wrong turns along the way.

Hammocks and their accessories are a very personal thing. Even those who have been hanging for years continue to play with different hammocks of different styles with different lengths, widths, and fabrics, and trying out different suspensions, insulation, hardware (or hardwareless), etc. And we haven't even touched on tarps yet. It can become a never-ending fascination and very much a life-long hobby for some.

Many of us started with cheap-o hammocks like the kind you can find at Amazon, Costco, or Wal-Mart. And quite a few folks still rock them because that's all they need to check all the blocks that they deem important.

You've already taken a good first step by coming here. There is a lot of great advice on this forum with folks often recommending minimum lengths, widths, fabric weight limits (both for strength and comfort), etc. You'll find others lauding their favorite cottage vendor, debating bridge vs gathered end hammocks, dedicated to down or synthetic quilts, avoiding hardware or loving the bling, and more. But the bottom line is that only you will know what is ultimately going to work for you. And the only way you will know is to try out different things.

My recommendation is simply to get something (almost anything) that is strong enough for you and simply start. Used is okay. Most take good care of their hammock gear (or it hasn't gotten much use so isn't very worn). There are regularly folks offering used gear on the forum here. You can also often find good deals at online sites like Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. Check your local outfitters, gear exchanges, and thrift stores too. Start with the inexpensive. That's okay! As you try different things and you'll learn what you like and don't like. Go into it knowing that there's a bit of a learning curve and that you'll almost certainly not be particularly comfortable right out the gate. But if you stick with it, learn techniques that work for you, and gradually fine tune your kit, eventually you'll discover that idyllic peaceful slumber that happens when everything is dialed in just right.

You'll see Shug's name come up a lot. (He's also from MN). He has a video on virtually any Hammock related topic you can imagine and he's insightful and fun to watch. It's worth checking out his stuff. There are others with great videos as well so don't overlook them, but Shug just seems to be one of the most prolific.

I also recommend going to a Hammock Hang if there's one in your area. I can't remember if there are any in MN, but know that there are quite a few each year in WI. See the sub forum on "Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning". All kinds of folks with all kinds of gear and experience show up to these hangs and virtually everyone is willing to let you see their kits, answer questions and even let you try out their stuff. Plus, hammock hangers are just fun people to "hang out" with!

Welcome to the Forum and enjoy the journey ahead!
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Need advice for camping and/or sleeping hammock

When you order from reputable vendors, they can help you decide, depending on your needs. They have sold thousands of hammocks.
    Maybe 11 feet long by 64 to 66 inches wide with Hexon 1.6 fabric or comparable for a gathered end hammock.
    If you are getting a bridge hammock—-I have no experience with bridge hammocks.

I like zippered bug nets for hammock. And you will need insulation both top and bottom.

Good luck

BTW, where in MN are you? I may have something...
    Last edited by TominMN; 07-20-2023 at 19:29.

I hope you come back!

Hammock
    Superior Hammock / Dutch / Majestic
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    Superior Hammock
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension
    Lots of great advice above. Here is the opinion from a bigger guy

Two hammocks that I purchased this spring that I have spent many nights in already that are simple to use and setup.

Superior Gear Superior Hammock it has a built in underquilt and if you use his suspension system it is no nonsense super easy. Also, the superior shelter is a great tarp.

Dutchware Chameleon hammock, you'll have to get an underquilt but the hammock is great and dutchware has a similar suspension system. Dutch's tarps are some of the best out there too.

You can't go wrong with either of those, they both offer everything that you were asking for and more. I have 15 nights in my superior gear already and between my daughter and I we have 12ish nights in the chameleon. You can find videos from Shugmery on both of them as well as many other content creators on YouTube.

There are several other amazing vendors out there, and you will find many opinions here. I did a lot of research before purchasing these hammocks since I am a bigger guy myself, the hammocks and suspension both are holding up well and have never slipped.

• + New Posts