Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I've never given, nor sought, permission. I'm single now, so take that into consideration.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Another tip I'd like to pass along on getting permission is that I just put it on the calendar and write "Camp". That way, if she questions it, I always have the excuse of "it was on the calendar, didn't you see it?

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Fortunately my wife likes to camp/hike....stil a ground dweller but i am working on converting her to enjoy hammocks vs tents. On our last outing she was in a tent and my daughter and I hung side by side. We awoke refreshed and rested while my wife was complaining of being stiff after sleeping on the ground in her Big Agnes Tiger wall tent with Thermarest Xlite $200 1 lb air mattress. I may convert her yet, or maybe she will revert to only staying in hotels while I camp in the woods

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I've never given, nor sought, permission. I'm single now, so take that into consideration.
    I'm single now too. But in the past I always tried to look at the calendar and make it work for everyone. But what I wasn't going to do was have someone make my schedule for me.

In general, when you have one person telling another what they can do, when they can enjoy their hobby, and still give them a hassle for it, it's not good for anyone. That's not living, that's a dictatorship. Of course, it's a compromise. Especially with kids. You need to take turns and make sure everyone has some time to do what they do.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Thunder/Mtn fly
    Insulation
    WBWookie/EEEnigma
    Suspension
    DClips/BeatleBuckl
    You guys are hilarious. Having to ask the wife to go camping, that is so crazy. If I ever had... Ooops, gotta go, wife just got home!

When I met the present wife, early on she told me about her trip on the AT years before. When I had a young child, camping and motorcycle riding ended up including her most of the time. I cannot image needing permission to go anywhere. At one time spouse's schedule was taken into consideration as was mine. If a wife called the law to find me in the woods when there was not an emergency she would not be my wife for long.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    If I had to ask permission to do something, I'd reconsider being married.

In our house, we talk about things to do together and separately - nobody gets permission to do anything, but we figure out schedules. A little consideration and compromise (from both of us) goes a long way - I'm not going to go off on my own on our anniversary or something like that, but if the weekend forecast looks good and there's nothing else planned, see ya Honey! Half the time it will be her suggestion anyhow.

BTW, been very happily married >40 years

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    I just take my wife with me! She loves to hang with me

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker Bob View Post
    If a wife called the law to find me in the woods when there was not an emergency she would not be my wife for long.
    Mental health is not one of my wife's strong suits. I was at fall MAHHA (Gathland State Park) back in 2012, and lost my cell phone. Somebody found it, called the wife, and said that I could pick up the phone at the group dinner that evening.

For some reason, my wife thought this required a call to the local police to report me as missing. If I had lost my cell phone, I must be in danger, right? Next morning, I woke up and found my cell phone was missing, so I backtracked to where I had been the previous evening. As I walked around looking for the cell phone, Papa Smurf came up and told me I had better get lost, because the police were looking for me. I have no criminal record, and I didn't do anything wrong, so I kinda disregarded that advice.

Soon the police found me, about the time I found my phone. I found this note on my car later that day:

missing.jpg

The end result of my wife's call is that the Maryland Park Rangers discovered MAHHA had been packing 70 to 100 people into Gathland State Park for years, and it wasn't designed for that capacity.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...cially-missing

MAHHA had to move from Gathland to Pine Grove Furnace the next year, all because of my wife's "missing person" phone call.

A week and a half later, Hurricane Sandy put 4.5 feet of water in my living room, so I kinda forgot about this incident.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 08-23-2019 at 20:35.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Banned
    Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Poor guys. Just put on a dress if it comes to this.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast