View Poll Results: Do we want a group meal(s) or not on Friday and Saturday? Pick 2 from 1-5 or one from 6-7.

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chowder

6 66.67%
  • Pea Soup

4 44.44%
  • Goulash

2 22.22%
  • Chili

1 11.11%
  • Big Roast (eg. Goat/Leg of Lamb)

0 0%
  • Nothing. I prefer not to participate

0 0%
  • I don't care, just feed me!

1 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Ok, I'll meet you guys at 9ish am at the permit office. I'm still waiting to hear from Kasuko whether he secured a bow seat somewhere. He says Friday on the spreadsheet but I didn't hear if he found someone to paddle with. If anyone knows an alternate way to get in touch with him - he can paddle with me if he's ok going in a day early.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hey guys.

Just to make sure we're all aiming for the same sites, go for the bracketed 2X on Jeff's Maps. If those are taken, I'd suggest that we continue rounding that bay and check out the three sites out to the next point. Worst comes to worst, a loud "Whoo Buddy" should get the group together.

Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ JRB UQ, PAD
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Is anyone else going in on Saturday...or just me?

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Stock Cinche
    Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    Ok, I'll meet you guys at 9ish am at the permit office. I'm still waiting to hear from Kasuko whether he secured a bow seat somewhere. He says Friday on the spreadsheet but I didn't hear if he found someone to paddle with. If anyone knows an alternate way to get in touch with him - he can paddle with me if he's ok going in a day early.
    Hey thanks for the offer. I have not figured out how I am getting in yet. I have been having some back-pain flare ups for a couple weeks and I have been worried about my ability to make it on the trip overall.

My original thought was that if my back is feeling better after tomorrow's emergency massage therapy session I would head in Friday and given that the weather was manageable just try to solo paddle in so that I could go at my own pace, switch between kneeling and sitting a ton and stop and rest if needed.

I always tend to push myself too hard and I'm afraid of being seen as a slacker if I am in the bow of some nice person who was willing to let me hitch a ride.
    I like metric, I use metric, for those of you who don't ... you should, for those of you who won't ... here.
    0*C - 32*F, 10*C - 50*F, 20*C - 68*F, 30*C - 86*F
    100g - 3.52oz, 500g - 17.63oz, 1kg - 2.2lbs, 16oz - 1lbs
    10cm - 3.9", 1m - 3.28ft, 1km - 0.62mi

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    3Season Crowsnest
    Suspension
    DIY whooppie
    I'm going in for Wed-Monday. I've added it to the spreadsheet (Linked Here - for easy access)

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    Web + Beckit Hitch
    Images
    Just got home from the beginning part of my "bookender".

I met up with KWK and LMB Saturday morning at the Put-in. We pushed of together around 10am. Partly cloudy brisk 5c. Wind at our back. Lollygagging at bit around the totem pole with LMB, we made it to the 1st portage in about an hour.

Had a few events along the way before the second portage into Ink Lake. I have done that portage a few times and every time I do it, it seems to get longer.

Out of Ink and into McIntosh a winding paddle then slight headwinds. We were not able to secure the coveted island site, it was already occupied by a lovely young couple who were very apologetic that they took our island. Not to worry we paddle south to the site on the point.

A quick fire and a steak dinner for myself, KWK and LMB didn't eat much and everyone was in bed and fast asleep by 9.

Sunday: wind

Monday, I pushed of by myself to retrace the path I took less 36 hours prior. Leaving the two on the site, they were awake and ready to pounce on the island site as soon as the couple passed by, they told us they would be pushing of Monday morning. The caught up to me on to Thompson and passed by me as I took a break just before Tepee. They return of the way was all headwinds. There were six canoe converging on the portage into canoe so I sat back and let them all get across before I took my canoe out.

Paddling down canoe I ran saw a solo kayaker skipping across the water, I paddled closer to say Hi... Lofty.. I figured we may meet along the way just didn't know where. Turns out it would be at the traffic sign "left potters Creek, right Joe" we talked for a bit I warned of his upcoming portage and then I pushed of for the last leg of my paddle.

It would be another hour and fifteen minutes of paddling to the access point.

Stopped for fudge at the trading Post, my kids love the fudge, and was home by 6.

LMB and KWK plan to secure the sites Chard mentioned above early Thursday morning.

Iguana

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk - (Tablet = lots of typos), got my days mixed up.. not used to entering the park on a Saturday.
    Last edited by Iguana; 09-24-2018 at 20:56. Reason: spelling and grammar

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iguana View Post
    Just got home from the beginning part of my "bookender".
    Nice. Brief, succinct and to the point. Just the way I like a trip report..

Glad to hear that all parties were accounted for, but it's a shame about Chicamoula.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    Nice. Brief, succinct and to the point. Just the way I like a trip report..

Glad to hear that all parties were accounted for, but it's a shame about Chicamoula.
    succinct indeed... my favourite part....

"Sunday: wind"
    Last edited by ggreaves; 09-25-2018 at 00:13.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    1.7 dbl, WBRR LSOH Swift
    Tarp
    superfly Razor
    Insulation
    Lynx' toaster z
    Suspension
    webbing, whoopies
    Sadly struggling with debilitating back pain.
    Hoping for devine intervention or an angel of mercy. For now rest and meds.
    No signs,no fees,no rules,nobody. My kind of campsite.

Hammock
    LSH
    Tarp
    LSH Hex
    Insulation
    LSH UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar straps
    Hey Ya'll, I am near Ottawa now. My loose plan is to head to Algonquin tomorrow and start in the water mid afternoon after I get a rental sorted. Pricey at the portage store! I am contemplating trying to hobo-out someplace for one more night and starting on the morning of the 27th. Anybody know of any good tucked away wild camping spots nearby that one may hide for the night?

How does the permit system work? Do I show up to the office and say I am with: Niagara* IN18-220729001, pay for the nights I plan to be out, then just mosey over to that area described in post #72?

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast