Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diy vs. store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Diy vs. store

Is diy TQ and UQ cheaper and better than buying one?

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Saralynn7401 View Post

There is no way I could possibly sew/make a quilt that would come close to a HG, UGQ, WL, AE, LL, TtoTTG. These vendors exceed all expectations in workmanship and customer service.

Images
    Generally, making a from-scratch quilt is something you do because you enjoy doing it, not because it saves any money.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Generally, making a from-scratch quilt is something you do because you enjoy doing it, not because it saves any money.
    I STRONGLY AGREE with the above statement.

I build because it makes me happy, it is a satisfaction thing.

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    SilvrSurfr is correct, most DIYers take immense pride in their accomplishments.

In my interest to not think about making a quilt, because I fear it would be going down a hard to exit rabbit hole. That was my experience with alcohol stoves. There is always one more feature to pursue or one more defect to correct. The satisfaction level is high, but the project seemingly never ends. At the end of the day, it's just easier to buy the product from a cottage vendor.

Hammock
    DIY 11 footer
    Tarp
    DIY 12 footer
    Insulation
    Climashield
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    I STRONGLY AGREE with the above statement.

I build because it makes me happy, it is a satisfaction thing.
    Exactly! I started mmog as a way of overcoming the crappy gear the military had at the time I was in. This grew into a way to "keep busy" after I retired. Its something I simply love to do and the wife doesn't mind - which is the important part.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    DIY is only cheap if you don't count your labor and if you manage to get it right on your first try. So if you don't have some experience with sewing and have certain standards then no, DIY is definitely not cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Saralynn7401 View Post

I agree with what others have said. I made a DYI Costco UQ with cam snaps. I do love it and live in FL. That said, it still won’t keep me comfortable below 40° and I had to buy the tools, the quilts etc. while there are better DYI options, I still want a HG UQ and TQ. They have somewhat budget options that will get you 20°. You would need 4 of the Costco quilts @ $20 each plus tools and materials @ $25-$45 and it wouldn’t be anywhere near the quality of what is out there. Granted it was kinda fun what I did, but I’m still going to spend more money now and get the “right stuff” as soon as I can. Hope that helps and gl!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    diy MTN series
    Tarp
    diy winterhex/asym
    Insulation
    EE and HG
    Suspension
    Beckett or buckles
    The Hammock Gear budget quilts really changed how I look at the market. You can get all of the quality craftsmanship, warranty, customer service, etc for just a couple ounces of extra weight. I didn't really like the ION fabric at first but now that I have packed it out on a few trips, I love the feel.

The benefit of DIY is customization control you have. Colors, fabric weights, fill.
    People tend to compartmentalize themselves into IT people, and movie star people, and scientists, but when we share our perspectives about nature, we find a common denominator.
    -Nalini Nadkarni

Quote Originally Posted by daveysnowis View Post

The benefit of DIY is customization control you have. Colors, fabric weights, fill.
    Having thought about it a bit more, the above comment is probably the best reason to get into making your own gear - not to save money but to get a degree of customization that is not otherwise possible. A case in point is the rope bridge hammock I recently bought made by kitsapcowboy. It has a group of features that are flat out not available on any commercially made hammock. It's well beyond my ability to make, but if you have the skill set then your gear can be anything you want to design. Grizzly Adams, jellybean, hiking dad and others I'm sure DIY not to save money nor because cottage vendors don't make good stuff, but because doing so scratches a creative itch.

The rest of us are sometimes lucky enough to substitute money for skill and enjoy the end products.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast