Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diy vs. store

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    @kitsapcowboy, am I not allowed to post a personal opinion on the subject of my poor DIY skills just because I volunteer my time here to keep topics organized?
    If you read my post again you will clearly see I am speaking for myself and not representing the forum in any way.

This forum was built on DIY but that does not mean all of us know or want to know how to do it.
    I didn't see it as a personal attack at all. kitsapcowboy's contributions are so valuable that I don't want to see him back down from participating in threads such as this. Not only are his DIY skills incredible, he continues to explain how to do the things he does.

Quote Originally Posted by daveysnowis View Post

The benefit of DIY is customization control you have. Colors, fabric weights, fill.
    Having thought about it a bit more, the above comment is probably the best reason to get into making your own gear - not to save money but to get a degree of customization that is not otherwise possible. A case in point is the rope bridge hammock I recently bought made by kitsapcowboy. It has a group of features that are flat out not available on any commercially made hammock. It's well beyond my ability to make, but if you have the skill set then your gear can be anything you want to design. Grizzly Adams, jellybean, hiking dad and others I'm sure DIY not to save money nor because cottage vendors don't make good stuff, but because doing so scratches a creative itch.

The rest of us are sometimes lucky enough to substitute money for skill and enjoy the end products.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I don't sew, but no-sew DIY summer TQ/UQs have served me well for many (many/many) years
    Summer UQ = a lightweight throw quilt (down or synthetic), 4 tarp clips and some 1/8 shock cord. Just fold the quilt corners over about 3" then attach tarp clips and shock cord for a 10 min project.
    Summer TQ = a lightweight throw quilt with KamSnap (or hand sew) foot box up to my knees.
    Yes, it is about 6 oz heavier than what high quality cottage venders offer but in the summer I can handle it.

Winter = I agree with the above post. DIY is a nice way to know your gear but only if you have a desire to learn the skills for DIY and cost saving alone is not a good reason.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Quote Originally Posted by Saralynn7401 View Post
    I am a professional seamstress and quite skilled with a sewing machine...i just have never sewn with down before but im thinking ill attempt it!..maybe become a cottage seller myself? )

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
    I'd say with your apparent skills you could make practically all of your own gear! Some of the threads on the forum would familiarize you with the terminology used here as well as the design concerns people have faced. UQs and TQs probably require the most putzing. I believe you'll find everything you need to know here if you invest the time in searching threads.

Let us know when you're ready to launch the new business.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    .... Grizzly Adams, jellybean, hiking dad and others I'm sure ....
    I'm pretty sure you mean jellyfish!

Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    I'm pretty sure you mean jellyfish!
    Wow, I apologize for not noticing that. Jellyfish, mea culpa.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY 11' 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY 11' 1.1 SilPol
    Insulation
    AHE
    Suspension
    Evo loops baby!
    I successfully DIYed my first hammock. I didn't do anything really ambitious, just simple 11' gathered end, but enough to know weather or not I enjoyed the hammock, and enjoyed DIYing. Don't think that's too far out of reach for most folks. I would encourage anyone with the inclination to try it out. Just make sure when it comes time to make the stuff sack to make it bigger, a lot bigger, than you think you need.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6 DIY
    Tarp
    11' .9 sil winter
    Suspension
    7/64 Whoopies
    I'm a welder.... I take great pride in building things. I do it for a living and love it, that being said I'm fully aware of the fact that not everyone has that mindset.
    However, I've never even touched a sewing machine, as of june 22nd I didn't know what a bobbin was, but I researched enough on here to place my first order from Dutch. On June 26th my order arrived and I unpacked it, and googled "how to sew a hammock" a video of a sweet lady (jellyfish) sewing a yellow hammock popped up, I then watched all her videos and discovered she's making basically what I am, just from Kyle instead of Dutch, so I sat at the sewing machine one or 2 nights a week for a hour or so. July 26th I took MY tarp and hammock into the woods! I could have finished it in one weekend, but I camp every weekend. I very much enjoyed learning how a sewing machine works, loved taking little pieces of others designs and melding them into my perfectly designed and built hammock and tarp. I fly RC planes, and spend all winter building and summer flying. I won't count my time because I enjoyed the hobby of building.
    To buy a .9 xenon sil winter tarp (I think he only sells a 1.1), a chameleon netted asymmetrical hammock (closest comparison to what I built) I would have spent $370+... I learned a new hobby, made exactly what I want and for less than half of retail. I'm building my perfect down underquilt shopping cart as we speak.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I agree that one of the strongest incentives to make your own gear is customization, and after a while customization becomes outright invention. Some of the stuff we make can't be bought. That doesn't mean everybody should do it. HYOH. (And think about little things in your gear that you'd like to change a bit.)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I started with a diy costco underquilt and now have a EE Revolt 40 degree. The diy route was to save money in order to see if i would like hammock camping and i did so i started buying better gear as money was available. Thanks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast