Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bright colors vs. Neutral/camo

Will a bear more likely be drawn to my camp if I have bright colors or will he wander in if I'm camouflaged?? Are there any pros and cons with bright colors vs. Camo?

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Bears will more likely be attracted to the granola bar stashed in your pocket. Keep food far away from your hammock and keep food smells away from your hammock. I'm personally just not into the camo thing, especially when it comes to bears. I've never seen any research indicating that bears are fooled by camo. I don't think they function on that wavelength (you can't see colors at night anyway, which is most when bears operate).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

Bright colors vs. Neutral/camo

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Bears will more likely be attracted to the granola bar stashed in your pocket. Keep food far away from your hammock and keep food smells away from your hammock. I'm personally just not into the camo thing, especially when it comes to bears. I've never seen any research indicating that bears are fooled by camo.
    Camo is effective against some humans though.

To the OP, if I recall correctly, bears have a 2100x better sense of smell than humans. Camouflage or earthy tones will not conceal you from bears. So the remaining question is if they attracted to bright colors? I don’t remember ever reading or hearing that, so probably not.

They are also excellent climbers, so keep that in mind too. Don’t go run up a tree to get away from them. In fact, don’t run at all. If they attack you, fight back, unless it’s a Grizzly, then play dead. Bear spray has a short range and will burn you too if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction. Take a look at your surroundings during a stand off. Because you will be backing away, you don’t want to trip on anything and you don’t want to unintentionally move towards any cubs nearby. They don’t speak English, so just give off a very deep growl if you feel the need to make sounds. You want to sound big and look big, so don’t make any sounds or gestures that a small or wounded animal would make.

Please yourself first, enjoy the hammock experience by choose whatever colour takes you, l am sure many of the wildlife creatures have vision viewing of slightly different colour variations than humans and many creatures instinctively use other senses in favour over their eyesight....
    It be fair to say, what homes itself in the natural environment would know fairly quickly when something other moves in for the weekend.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbo View Post
    Please yourself first, enjoy the hammock experience by choose whatever colour takes you, l am sure many of the wildlife creatures have vision viewing of slightly different colour variations than humans and many creatures instinctively use other senses in favour over their eyesight....
    It be fair to say, what homes itself in the natural environment would know fairly quickly when something other moves in for the weekend.
    Yup, animals are pretty smart. They will see the straight lines of your cordage no matter how great your camo tarp is. They will see your two forward facing eyes and know that you are a predator no matter what you wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Saralynn7401 View Post
    Will a bear more likely be drawn to my camp if I have bright colors or will he wander in if I'm camouflaged?? Are there any pros and cons with bright colors vs. Camo?

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
    There is research that says grizzlies may be more curious about bright colors than dark.
    Here's a link: http://wherethebearwalks.blogspot.co...-research.html

If you're not planning on spending significant time traveling and camping in grizzly country I'd say use whatever colors make you happy.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    I don't have grizzlies in my area. Just black bear, and I've never actually seen one. That said as far as hiding from them, I'm not concerned. I prefer (generally speaking) neutral tp darker colors in my hammock and fly, primarily because there tends to be less obnoxious light pollution in the morning. I like funky colored backpacking gear quite a lot. One of my favorite fabric colors is the olive yellow from RBTR, and I will be making my next pack with it. But to have my hammock made from it would be hard on my senses. If my fly were made with it, I would be a very grumpy goat every morning I woke up at first light due to the violent neon glow blasting through. I made my daughter a hammock with olive yellow and a tarp that is morrocan blue and the color combo is gorgeous. Looks neat in the woods, too. But they both have too much going on for me to wake up in. I'm kind of over the whole camo thing for basic camping/backpacking, so that's out for me. My present tarps are Kelly green and olive brown. Hammocks are dark brown and foliage. They aren't invisible, but they don't generally detract from the natural beauty of the woods for any other visitors, should they get within eyeshot.

Cheers,
    The Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    There should only be three colors of hammock allowed under the law: Coyote Brown, Dark Olive, and Multicam.

Folks should be able to apply for a special permit to obtain hammocks in Dutchware Print2Fabric patterns, but that's about it...

Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 07-13-2018 at 14:02.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    There should only be three colors of hammock allowed under the law: Coyote Brown, Dark Olive, and Multicam.

Folks should be able to apply for a social permit to obtain hammocks in Dutchware Print2Fabric patterns, but that's about it...

+1. We don’t want to disturb nature too much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Saralynn7401 View Post
    Just stay away from Dutch's burger and fries tarp!

But seriously, not sure if I buy the Grizzly research, but you are in MT so might be worth considering. Maybe you can do a custom tarp through Outdoor Ink... thinking a picture of a hunter with shotgun.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast