Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Saralynn7401 View Post
    ...I bought a sleeping with a 4.2 R rating-it was very warm BUT kept slipping around! The reason I would get a new hammock is because I have to individually pack a big bug net and sock and it's annoying to set up the whole works every time! But it makes a lot of sense to get a new quilt I suppose!
    Going to guess you got a regular length pad (72")? Especially in a short hammock like the ENO, that's not a great solution because of how the pad is inclined to go up the sides towards the ends. Better off with a short pad if you can find one. I used a Big Agnes short pad (60") for a long time. Never used anything for my feet, used pillow for head off the pad - pad fit me shoulders to calves. But if you already have it...

If you get a longer double layer hammock, you can use the pad you have to supplement the cheap summer UQ, or just use the pad itself. The amount you'd pay for a netted double layer hammock is about the same as what you'd pay for an UQ. So the question may be, do you want to obsolete the ENO or the pad?

However, if its the complexity of the setup with separate net and sock, then I'd sell the tarp, net & sock and get a tarp with doors to go along with an integrated net hammock. And if you can return the pad to make the cost affordable, I'd get an insulated hammock like Sheltowee or Bonefire.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

I think I'll do one of those suggestions cause they're really smart!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Going to guess you got a regular length pad (72")? Especially in a short hammock like the ENO, that's not a great solution because of how the pad is inclined to go up the sides towards the ends. Better off with a short pad if you can find one. I used a Big Agnes short pad (60") for a long time. Never used anything for my feet, used pillow for head off the pad - pad fit me shoulders to calves. But if you already have it...

If you get a longer double layer hammock, you can use the pad you have to supplement the cheap summer UQ, or just use the pad itself. The amount you'd pay for a netted double layer hammock is about the same as what you'd pay for an UQ. So the question may be, do you want to obsolete the ENO or the pad?

However, if its the complexity of the setup with separate net and sock, then I'd sell the tarp, net & sock and get a tarp with doors to go along with an integrated net hammock. And if you can return the pad to make the cost affordable, I'd get an insulated hammock like Sheltowee or Bonefire.
    Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Wait.....is 5 the standard number cause I already passed that and I just bought my first in march
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    There are sooo many options for netless hammocks, and integrated hammocks(with bugnet attached). Also a lot of choices for quilts, TQ and UQ or pads etc. Yes, and tarps.

My suggestions would be:

1st- Stay dry. Too many problems sleeping wet and some are life threatening. Get a tarp you like. Keep in mind any possible issues with future hammock length and tarp length.
    2nd- Stay warm. A comfy hammock is no bueno if you're cold as you already found out. Keep any hammock combos in mind with your quilt sets.
    3rd- Stay elevated. Now you can find the perfect 5 hammocks to sleep in. Well, one may do it, but why stop at one-fits-all style when there are so many awesome hammocks.

Watch as many Shug videos as you can from his Hammock How-To for Noobs series to his in-depth vids on hammocks or tarps or insulation or hardware. He's a wealth of knowledge and a fun watch.

Good luck finding your best hang possible.

Hammock
    DH Darien, WBBB XLC, 6 HH
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images
    Depends on the funds,
    I have bought 5 used Hennesy hammocks, 3 off of this forum.
    1st was an original Hennessey hammock for $50.00
    I bought a $15 dollar sewing machine, taught myself and made a killer $30.00 under quilt and used a cheap sleeping bag as a TQ.

If funds are not an issue,, buy a WB, Dream Hammock, Dutch, Tarp, UQ, TQ.
    But I would not spend money on accessories that only fit the ENO,,

Slack

Hammock
    WB BBXLC, DH, DIY, GT Hybrid
    Tarp
    Etowah Outfitters
    Insulation
    HG TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Saralynn7401 View Post
    Should I invest in a TQ and UQ....or a new hammock setup first? My hammock now is an eno doublenest with a winter sock and a cheaper 40 degree underquilt....

Pretty simple really. Invest in the area you are least comfortable in now. If you are cold in the hammock, buy insulation first. If you are warm but not comfortable buy a hammock first. If you are cold and wake up stiff and sore, buy all three but pick in order of discomfort. I slept in a Grand Trunk hammock for quite a time, then went to some much higher priced ones. I still sleep in the cheap one occasionally. But, I went from a pad and sleeping bag to good quilts and I never use the pad and bag anymore.

Your comfort will guide your priorities better than anything. Each one of those upgrades will be a major step forward in comfort.

Have fun with the process. Buying the gear is almost as fun as using it! LOL.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slackdaddy View Post
    But I would not spend money on accessories that only fit the ENO,,
    Slack
    Totally agree!

Hammock
    Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Beatle Buckles
    New hammock first; I'd suggest either a Dutchware Chameleon or anything from Dream Hammock. Keep using the Underquilt you have for now, and then when funds allow buy a top quilt.

Problem solved!! Just bought a double layer Dream Hammock so I can put my sleeping mat in there till i have enough funds to buy a proper underquilt!...and if I backpack to someplace where I can't hang,I can just go to ground with my tarp,TQ,and mat!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123