Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Which should I invest in?

Should I invest in a TQ and UQ....or a new hammock setup first? My hammock now is an eno doublenest with a winter sock and a cheaper 40 degree underquilt....

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    New hammock, hands down, you will be amazed with the comfort when u get out of the eno. If there is a hang anywhere close check it out and see who has something you might like

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    New hammock
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    How cheap is the TQ and what is its rating? And how cheap is the "cheaper 40 underquilt?" Montana isn't warm (to my knowledge) and summer will soon be over. Doesn't make much sense to get a nice (i.e., 20*) TQ if you have an inadequate UQ, and the reverse is true also.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

My UQ is a one Tigris that I bought for only $60...and I am using a 20 degree TQ from go-outfitters $106...yep, the summers here are really short! Should I go for a 4 season hammock setup (to be on the warm safe side) and 0 or 10 or 20 degree quilt set??

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    If your comfy in your hammock, I would invest in tq and uq. Another 30 days and there will
    probably be a plethora of used gear for sale.

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohoopee View Post
    If your comfy in your hammock, I would invest in tq and uq. Another 30 days and there will
    probably be a plethora of used gear for sale.
    Agree with this.

Information is missing...like, how do you sleep in the hammock? Meaning, do you sleep well or well-enough? When I started out in hammocks, I got an inexpensive double off Amazon and was able to sleep in it well for months--I know now it was not the most comfortable but at the time, I knew I was happy being outside and I was sleeping pretty well each night. I opted for some better insulation and purchased an Arrowhead Jarbridge on sale for $100. Game changer! With a nice 3-season UQ and my light sleeping bag (used like a top quilt with just the foot box zipped), I then was sleeping well into the fall--the temps dropped and it was awesome. And, as Ohoopee said, things started popping up for sale here in the forums and I snagged a nice Dutch Halfwit...OMG, it was so comfortable and I slept in that for the rest of the year and through the winter (with better quilts, of course).

But long story short, if you are sleeping okay in the hammock, upgrade the quilts...if you are uncomfortable in the hammock, get a new hammock. Either way, figure out what you want and keep an eye in the 'for sale' area and you'll snag really nice items...but you have to be quick, so know what you are looking for ahead.

Hang on!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't think there is such a thing as a 4-season hammock setup (though Clark does market that). Some will tell you that a topcover and undercover can help add a few degrees of warmth, but it isn't insulation and I wouldn't expect it to be a replacement for insulation.

I think a 20* quilt set is the ultimate starter set. I started with an HG 20* Burrow and Phoenix, and used them for two years before my appetite for lower temps caused me to get a 0* quilt set. The best thing about a 20* quilt set is that it's backpackable - I don't really consider my 0* quilt set to be backpackable. It's too bulky and weighs too much. I've never hiked more than 4 miles with my 0* quilts and wouldn't want to.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    A new hammock with a sleeping mat and sleeping bag will give you a good night's sleep.

When you can manage it, upgraded TQ and UQ will give you a great night's sleep!

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    1) Hammock
    2) Underquilt
    3) Top Quilt
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD