DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Another option is to go crazy with a full purchase up front. Let's say $300 for both quilts (HG Econ) and $100 for a hammock. So $400.

Of course that's not pocket change, but skip the $3 morning coffee, eat out less, don't buy random junk on amazon like me, and do the 0% for 6 months with paypal ($66/mo) to dilute the sticker shock.

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohoopee View Post
    If your comfy in your hammock, I would invest in tq and uq. Another 30 days and there will
    probably be a plethora of used gear for sale.
    Agree with this.

Information is missing...like, how do you sleep in the hammock? Meaning, do you sleep well or well-enough? When I started out in hammocks, I got an inexpensive double off Amazon and was able to sleep in it well for months--I know now it was not the most comfortable but at the time, I knew I was happy being outside and I was sleeping pretty well each night. I opted for some better insulation and purchased an Arrowhead Jarbridge on sale for $100. Game changer! With a nice 3-season UQ and my light sleeping bag (used like a top quilt with just the foot box zipped), I then was sleeping well into the fall--the temps dropped and it was awesome. And, as Ohoopee said, things started popping up for sale here in the forums and I snagged a nice Dutch Halfwit...OMG, it was so comfortable and I slept in that for the rest of the year and through the winter (with better quilts, of course).

But long story short, if you are sleeping okay in the hammock, upgrade the quilts...if you are uncomfortable in the hammock, get a new hammock. Either way, figure out what you want and keep an eye in the 'for sale' area and you'll snag really nice items...but you have to be quick, so know what you are looking for ahead.

Hang on!

I think almost everybody here is saying the same thing. If you are TRULY comfortable in your hammock, update your insulation starting with the UQ. If you're "just getting by" in terms of comfort, get a new hammock first.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Nobody's going to mention the tarp? I mean, we don't know what you have, but at the same time, it seems you do have everything else. You're not using the sock as a tarp, are you?

Assuming you have a tarp and that you don't want to replace it - otherwise you would've mentioned that, then count me in with the replace insulation crowd. It may be that we typically talk about the hammock with regard to comfort, but the other components go a long way towards being comfortable in the conditions you think you will be in. Whether that's insulation rated 10 degrees below your expected lowest camping temps, or a tarp with doors that block wind and is real comfy to sit underneath in a storm, or a sock or UQP, or suspension and tie outs that make it easier to setup and break down. As long as you're not uncomfy in the ENO, then change that out when you're set with other stuff.

I'd get a 20 degree UQ to go with the TQ you have. You can always use the other UQ to supplement if needed. With the sock, that should get you by in the coldest of 3-season weather, I think. Of course, if you don't have a tarp, that's a no brainer.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Nobody's going to mention the tarp?
    What's a tarp?

Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 07-13-2018 at 10:44.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Man likes his tarps!! Love multicam, have two packs in it, but really swoon over that Starry Night one!
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Thanks for the advice!...ok,here's the story...so I impulsively bought the hammock at rei one day and really liked it! So I had this crazy idea to use it instead of a tent! (Turns out,hammock camping is a thing and I wasn't so brilliant after all) I decided to get a winter sock from Dutch, top quilt, a chill gorilla tarp and that 40 degree UQ.

Anyways,on the 4th of July we had a campout and I tried it all out...but my feet, butt, and shoulders got so cold so I wrestled a sleeping bag into the hammock-it only made me very frustrated.. Needless to say,I was very grumpy the next day!

So, I bought a sleeping with a 4.2 R rating-it was very warm BUT kept slipping around! The reason I would get a new hammock is because I have to individually pack a big bug net and sock and it's annoying to set up the whole works every time! But it makes a lot of sense to get a new quilt I suppose!

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    There are sooo many options for netless hammocks, and integrated hammocks(with bugnet attached). Also a lot of choices for quilts, TQ and UQ or pads etc. Yes, and tarps.

My suggestions would be:

1st- Stay dry. Too many problems sleeping wet and some are life threatening. Get a tarp you like. Keep in mind any possible issues with future hammock length and tarp length.
    2nd- Stay warm. A comfy hammock is no bueno if you're cold as you already found out. Keep any hammock combos in mind with your quilt sets.
    3rd- Stay elevated. Now you can find the perfect 5 hammocks to sleep in. Well, one may do it, but why stop at one-fits-all style when there are so many awesome hammocks.

Watch as many Shug videos as you can from his Hammock How-To for Noobs series to his in-depth vids on hammocks or tarps or insulation or hardware. He's a wealth of knowledge and a fun watch.

Good luck finding your best hang possible.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    1) Hammock
    2) Underquilt
    3) Top Quilt
    That would be my order of priority, too.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    I would wait for a sale from one of the cottage vendors, and also scour the FOR SALE section of HF for used items coming up for sale. My order of purchase would be a Hammock, followed by bottom quilt, then top quilt. Best thing is to go to some hangs to try out gear before you buy to see if you really like it before parting with your hard earned funds.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast