Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Framjam, I think "hangle" is a word - a piece of gear really. I believe it's a small bubble level that can clip on your Amsteal suspension. It's designed so the bubble is centered when the hang angle is 30 degrees (or 60 depending upon your point of reference).

I made a pipe stand I could put up/take down
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ipe-Stand-Mods

But
    1) I wasn't comfortable working those pipe threads so often.
    2) "other" people in the house didn't think it was a beautiful as I did.

The next stand will be a DIY turtle stand with 2 x 2's. Much lighter and easier to put away. About 4 or 5 days a week I sleep outside using rings attached to the house in a covered area in front. Because the rings are a fixed height, it is a challenge with larger (more comfortable) hammocks. Also, I can't see the stars. The Turtle dog style doesn't require any stakes in the ground and bundles up for storage pretty easily.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 07-16-2018 at 11:22.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post

The next stand will be a DIY turtle stand with 2 x 2's.

Why not a Tensahedron?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I looked at the tensahedron thread (80+ pages!) and I think it would be too small for a bridge hammock. My pipe stand is usually 12 ft long for a gathered end hammock and I had a 3 ft extension to make it 15 ft for a bridge (Ridge Runner) hammock. The turtle dog would give me the same flexibility - as long as it doesn't give me too much flexibility.

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    Framjam, I think "hangle" is a word - a piece of gear really. I believe it's a small bubble level that can clip on your Amsteal suspension. It's designed so the bubble is centered when the hang angle is 30 degrees (or 60 depending upon your point of reference).

I made a pipe stand I could put up/take down
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ipe-Stand-Mods

But
    1) I wasn't comfortable working those pipe threads so often.
    2) "other" people in the house didn't think it was a beautiful as I did.

The next stand will be a DIY turtle stand with 2 x 2's. Much lighter and easier to put away. About 4 or 5 days a week I sleep outside using rings attached to the house in a covered area in front. Because the rings are a fixed height, it is a challenge with larger (more comfortable) hammocks. Also, I can't see the stars. The Turtle dog style doesn't require any stakes in the ground and bundles up for storage pretty easily.
    I went the opposite direction....I started with a turtledog then made a fence rail stand https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...od-style-stand

No threads necessary and lighter than a turtledog. Also faster and easier to make.
    My worst night in a hammock was still better than my best night in a tent!!!!

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    My wife and I are 5'4" and 5'3" both <145lbs. Between us we have numerous physical ailments. We sleep in hammocks full time indoors.

Outdoors, we double hang under one tarp using a spreader bar. In deciding what would be the perfect length tarp for us, we figured that first we needed to determine what would be the minimal length of hammock we could be comfortable. After much experimenting with lengths from 10-12' we both found 11' to be the one.

We also found that fabric was a major factor as well. Indoors, I mostly use a Towns End Happy Medium bridge in robic 1.2. I made a 62" netless of robic 1.7 and a 60" netless of robic 1.2. I like them both, but the 1.7 is my go to for indoor GE. The 62" width is a bit excessive for me, but not too bad.

Indoors, my wife likes her netless GE in Hexon 2.4. For car camping she likes her chameleon 2.4. For myself I made a chameleon clone in robic 1.7, 61" wide. For backpacking I intend to make another clone but with robic 1.2, at 60" wide. I like the extra width in the clone because my toes just happen to hit the zipper and inboard d-rings of the original. Also I prefer it because it allows a greater variety of positions, but I always wake up at about the same angle as I do in a "std" 58 incher.

For back yard, I have two very large trees 19' apart. I also have a tensa4 to use on the deck under an ez-up. The tensa works great with the GE's. I only tried setting up the bridge on it once, but I had interference with the spreader bars and stand tubes. I'll try another day when I have more time.

Neither one of us can sleep well in a bed anymore. In any case it takes several nights to become reacclimated going from bed to hammock and vise versa. Even switching between GE's and bridges can take me a night or two to be completely comfortable. Neither of us can sleep on the ground at all, and that's with a pad under a 2" inflatable.

I had this normal net hammock (beach hammock) it was nice and comfy. dont have any other so cannot say much on that.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Hefty Hanger - thank you for the URL. If I could put it together that easily - that is, the parts would be available at local store - I'd seriously consider it. Looks like you made a great addition to your hanging options.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief

Haven't felt the magic

I looked at the tensahedron thread (80+ pages!) and I think it would be too small for a bridge hammock.
    Tensa4 has been tested with a RidgeRunner. It's likely true that it's too short for some longer bridge hammocks. It's easy to build a tensahedron with poles long enough for most any bridge, though, with better strength/weight and less susceptibility to tipping sideways than a canonical “clothes rack” pipe stand. Check Harlan Lerum II's build from 10' steel fence rails.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 07-20-2018 at 17:36.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly
    Insulation
    Pad for now
    Suspension
    Huggers and Whoopi
    Odd as it would have sounded to me a few months ago, getting comfortable in a hammock takes practice. You have to find your sweet spot, then learn to get to it efficiently. Took me about 2 weeks to get good at it. I’d recommend hanging one in your home or yard where you can do it for at least 4 or five days straight.

Warning, once you figure it out, you may swear off beds!

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Heron
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hummingbird Straps
    I have a HH ultralight explorer. I'm 6'1 and the extra length makes it way more comfortable.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast