Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Three panel versus single panel camping hammocks.

Many premium camping hammocks are constructed with three panels, a broad central panel and two narrow panels on each side. I assume this was done to cut manufacturing costs or because wider fabric panels were unavailable. My first camping hammock had this construction.
    After many nights of trying to adjust to the uncomfortable seam of the two lateral panels, I started looking for a hammock of sufficient width ( for me, 6ft or wider ) made with a single piece of fabric and length (11ft )
    When I finally scored such a prize from one of the cottage vendors, I was forever converted to this type of construction.
    So, have others had to make this choice, or has the three panel construction worked out just fine for all-night comfort?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Shirley View Post
    Many premium camping hammocks are constructed with three panels
    Premium??

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Single panel is surely the best. The three-panel design does not allow the hammock to spread out like a single piece of fabric. This makes it more difficult to achieve a good diagonal lay. Also, as you mentioned, the seams can be uncomfortable; and- in my opinion, are just another potential point of failure for the hammock. I would hesitate to label the three-panel hammocks as "premium," however.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    My experience was some serious floppy sides in my face. Always. Lots of adjustments, and I know a knotty mod would have helped. I've moved on to single piece.

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    I've been trying to decide if I should go that route too.
    Mainly because I like a particular print available only as a 3 piece hammock.
    In all fairness, the vast majority of reviews have been very positive. Surprised by that.
    It might have to do with the lack of stretch. Grand trunk tells me it's nylon, which tends to stretch, but everyone says it doesn't. My view is if a fabric is triple layer as in a seem, it would stretch everywhere else, hence you'd feel a ridge. Non stretch poly and heavier micro diamond ripstop (nylon?) would not have as much if any seem issues.... From what I've been reading.

Does that make sense?

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    So, have others had to make this choice, or has the three panel construction worked out just fine for all-night comfort?
    I'm going to say that the vast majority who've had the chance to lay in the 3-panel hammocks, vs the cottage vendor hammocks, they've not gone back to the ENOs

ENO makes a fine lounging product, and good on them for spreading the hammock word, but I don't see many out in the woods. lots in the park, but not in the woods

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Many premium camping hammocks are constructed with three panels, a broad central panel and two narrow panels on each side. I assume this was done to cut manufacturing costs or because wider fabric panels were unavailable. My first camping hammock had this construction.
    After many nights of trying to adjust to the uncomfortable seam of the two lateral panels, I started looking for a hammock of sufficient width ( for me, 6ft or wider ) made with a single piece of fabric and length (11ft )
    When I finally scored such a prize from one of the cottage vendors, I was forever converted to this type of construction.
    So, I can call you Shirley!?!

As others have also surmised, you must be talking about ENO or one of many ENO knockoffs. ENO got their start by putting their product exclusively in outfitter stores - I'm not sure if that's because they considered their product a camping hammock, or that it became known as a camping hammock because of the association with outfitters. This was a little before the internet was so widely accessed. Point is, whether its marketing or association, there really isn't a camping hammock. Hammock is a hammock, though certain elements make it easier to lounge in or to spend a night in. Looks like you've found one of the aspects of a hammock that can be an issue for spending a long time in one (the seams and size).

Many start out with ENOs due to their popularity, but not all. Other hammocks were available and all were single piece hammocks. And perhaps newer hangers were fortunate to get their first hammock from a cottage vendor. Point is that its a bit hard to say anything about the satisfaction of ENO's panel construction with seams, or for that matter the shortness of the hammock, other than to say that by evidence here on this forum there are many who used to use an ENO and don't anymore - like you. There are many, though, that have ENOs and love them, so clearly its working out for them. I get the distinct impression, though, that most of those folks have never used any other hammock. Apologies for the broad generalization.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Many premium camping hammocks are constructed with three panels, a broad central panel and two narrow panels on each side.
    I think most HF members consider a three-panel hammock to be a "beginner" hammock, not a "premium" hammock. ENO has popularized the three-panel construction, and even the $15 Amazon knockoffs have that three-panel construction. ENO and their knockoffs usually are short (9 ft.) and often wide (like the Doublenest, which is 6 ft. wide and laughably advertised as a "hammock for two" - it's a hammock for two if you're both masochists).

It sounds like you found a "premium" hammock from one of our cottage vendors - enjoy!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Diy 11 ft and DD hammock
    Tarp
    Diy
    Insulation
    closed cell foam
    Suspension
    whoopsie slings
    and so say all of us hip hip hooray LOL!!!
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY. OTHER TIMES I LET HER SLEEP

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I cut off the panels on both of my 3 panel hammocks. I use them for lounging or loaning.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast