Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Bridge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Eco B

First Hammock hang questions.

I got my first hammock and attempted my first hang. Following the 30% hang angle and a 83% ridgeline.
    My hammock is the FoxOutfitters double. Their is a significant amount of material that hangs over my head. I am attempting a diagonal flat lay. Seems comfortable, but this over hang material is annoying. It also seems to have more tension in the sides then the middle. What am I doing wrong?
    I have the ultimate hang book but I haven't found any info that addresses these issues.

This newbie will appreciate any help or comments.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Others may chime in, but every hammock design has its own particular characteristics. Many 11' hammocks are rated as very comfortable. The Fox Outfitters double is 10.5'. I compared it to the Warbonnet Blackbird which is a 10' hammock and the Blackbird XLC which is 11'. The width of the FOd is 78" while the Blackbird is 63" and the XLC is 62". So both a shorter and a longer product are 15-16" narrower. That explains your feeling that there is too much fabric. The blurb for the FOd says that it is designed for two people to enjoy. The general consensus is that gathered end hammocks work better for one person; therefore a hammock designed for two people is probably going to have some issues.

The cure for your hang? Perhaps start trying other hammocks at a local group hang until you find one that you like better than the one you currently have. Good luck and hope you find a blissful hang.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

hang the foot side about 6 to 12 inches higher than the head side.

play with the ridgeline length. my preference is not even close the the 83 percent figure. I like my ridgeline much shorter, but each will find their own sweet spot.

Check out dutchwaregear.com and get a hammock with the knotty mod. That greatly helps the floppy fabric on your head.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Basic ENO knockoff hammock. Wide as heck at 78 inches so you're gonna have floppy material. I've never had a hammock wider than 58 inches, so that's wide enough for me. I can't imagine why I would need another 20 inches of width.

I'd personally recommend you buy a hammock from one of our cottage vendors rather than an Amazon hammock. I love the Dutch netless hammocks (some colors are on sale for $30)

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ne...layer-option-1

Oh, and if any vendor says their hammock sleeps two, I wouldn't buy it (unless it's a Clark Vertex, and I wouldn't buy that either!).

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Bridge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Eco B
    Got it thanks. It was free. Just had to pay shipping. Thought it might be a good first hammock. Doing some research now. I have a good machine and I'm not afraid to mod it.

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Bridge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Eco B
    Yes. I didn't read the specs. Free, so I pulled the trigger. I seriously thought double meant double layered.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    Yep, free is a good price. Mod that thing up so it works for now. A little shock cord will do wonders.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That is what happens on a double hammock...they are so wide with that extra fabric they tend to flop in on you.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBRR or Clark North American
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Reaper
    Suspension
    Cinch/Helios/Atlas
    ...and now you know. Part of why I love these forums so much. So many people with good information and advice.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

What they said and
    11x5 minimum.....but
    You might like 11x five foot 6 better
    And ask you favorite cottage vendor to install knotty mods on both sides about where your head and feet will be.
    That is if you know if you are a right lay or left lay
    If you are on your back in hammock and on a good diagonal and your feet are towards right side of hammock—-then you are a right lay

If your feet are to left side of hammock then you are a left lay. In Shug’s videos, he usually is in left lay position.

Some simple gathered end hammocks can be used either left or right lay. Some hammocks with built in bug nets are either made for right lay or left lay—-not both.

Some cottage vendors, Dutch, DreamHammocks, and possibly others make certain hammocks that can be used any which way.

Ask your vendors for specifics. Sometimes this is listed in hammock specs on their online stores.

Also Simply Light Designs SLD has hammocks that are made to be easy to see over side and not block your view with billowing fabric.
    And knotty mods help reduce billowing fabric.

Study up, do your own exploring and beware!
    I’m practicing up for an upcoming hang Liars Contest

My hammock is WidernessLogics made with HexonWide 1.6. And it’s 12 feet long by 6 feet wide with knotty mods on both sides.
    I got hammock wider to combat foot scrunch—outside foot bent inwards by previous hammock that was about 5 feet wide and a bit narrow for me.
    And 12 feet long to reduce or eliminate CRP
    Calf ridge pressure.
    You might not want a 12 x 6 , it’s very comfortable, but I need at least a 12 foot ridgeline tarp to stay dry. My tarp is 13 ridgeline by 12 wide
    Next thing you know I had to get a large pack.

Good luckin your hammock journey!
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 06-17-2018 at 22:41.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast