Thread: Hanmock

Hanmock

Simply light designs trail lair hexon wide double layer with storm cover or Dutch netless wide double layer with knotty mods and summer cover

Welcome from across the big pond! Lots of threads on both of those hammocks from our fine cottage vendors. I'm a big fan of Jared at SLD, and since he has his own subforum now, you'll see lots of reviews.

The Trail Lair is also on sale till the end of June. Just had another restful night in mine...

See I'm looking for someone who has both to compare to

Hammock
    Trail Lair/LSOH WarriorUL
    Tarp
    ManyFly's/HG WP
    Insulation
    HG/Speer/WB
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by kraig89 View Post
    See I'm looking for someone who has both to compare to
    I have both, in fact, had them both out today messing around. Only thing is, I have the Hexon 1.0. The wide Hexon only comes in 1.6. And unless you're a pretty large you wouldn't need a DL as it has a SL weight limit of 350lbs.
    My first hammocks were Dutch netless SL and DL Hexon 1.0. Nice hammocks, and also how I discovered Hexon to be my material of choice.
    Jared ordered the Hexon 1.0 from Dutch to make my Trail Lair's. They're 58 and 58.5 inches wide and they are the most comfortable hammocks I've ever used.
    As you've probably already read here, hammock preference is very personal and subjective. I've found that at 6ft and 200lbs, that the Trail Lair works perfect for me at 11ft long and 58in wide. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'm 6ft 85kg but I've got wide shoulders so I dunno if I would need a wide hammock as last one I had was only a dd hammock and reason why I'm looking at netless is so if I was out for few days and zip broke on integrated one I would be stuck without a net

Hammock
    Dream Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBTF
    Quote Originally Posted by kraig89 View Post
    I'm 6ft 85kg but I've got wide shoulders so I dunno if I would need a wide hammock as last one I had was only a dd hammock and reason why I'm looking at netless is so if I was out for few days and zip broke on integrated one I wotle uld be stuck without a net
    Not comparing the two, but if you go with the Dutch, I'm a little taller and heavier than you are. I've got the Dutch netless wide single layer, double-knotty, which I really like. I don't think you would need to get the wide netless because of your shoulder width. A wider hammock, up to a certain point, esp. with knotty mod or tie outs should have a bigger comfy sweet spot. You could probably go wither way on the width; narrow if you want to shave weight, wide if you want max comfort. Also, I don't think you would need a double layer unless you are over 350 lb or are planning to use a pad.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur + bugnet
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    Trailwinder/EE Rev
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I have the SLD in Hexon 1.6 wide single layer. I'm 5'10 89kg with broad shoulders. I don't need the wide and in my opinion you don't either. I've owned half a dozen hammocks so far and haven't had a zipper fail yet. I am careful with them though.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Storm cover=Wind Shield? Summer cover=Summer sock?

They are completely different setups, which I suppose is the gist of your question? I used to own an integrated net hammock like the Trail Lair, but didn't have a cover. I've often wonder how I would like one - the additional warmth would be nice, but I like openness and would likely not use it unless I just had to.

I have a summer sock that I use with netless hammocks. I like it and like its versatility. At times, I've flipped it around to be a "cover" in the wee hours. Mostly, the net on top holds some warmth in and the bottom acts as an UQP.

Between the two setups, I like the modular Dutch setup because there are times where I'll take the sock and not use it. The Trail Lair doesn't have knotty mods because its supposed to have the net or cover attached. Just trying to explain what I think the issues are as you likely have unmentioned preferences to consider.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts