Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tarp attached to suspension question

Hi All,
    I am pretty new to hammock camping but not new to long distance hiking (2 previous A.T. Thru's). I went on a 6 day hike the other week and brought a hennessy backpacker ultralight with me. I don't think I'd call it an ultralight set up but I really enjoyed sleeping in the hammock...so much so I have ordered a warbonnet blackbird and mamajamba tarp that will hopefully arrive this week.
    The hennessy is obviously set up with the tarp attached to the suspension. I have snakeskins so this worked out well for me as it could just pull down the skins and tarp and hammock are all in one so set up took just a couple minutes and everything rolled out at once. I liked this set up for it's ease and quickness of immediate shelter.
    I'll be playing with how to set up the new warbonnet hammock and tarp once it arrives but based on lots of stuff I have read through here it looks like everyone mostly stores their tarp separate from their hammock...I presume to make sure a potentially wet tarp doesn't get their hammock also wet? I love the idea of everything in one snakeskin and everything attached, string up the suspension, pull back the snakeskins and stake things out and all done vs. set up tarp, set up hammock.
    I'd appreciate insight and issues more experienced hammock campers have discovered related to tarp attached to hammock suspension full time and all in one snakeskin vs tarp set up independent of hammock and both items stored separately in the pack.
    Thanks in advance.

I carry my tarp and hammock separately for the reason you mentioned. Wet tarp and dry hammock packed together soon means wet hammock. The WB hammock bag isn't exactly a snakeskin, but it is open at both ends and deploys like one. Hammock setup takes seconds, if you chose the strap and buckle suspension.

I tried hanging my Mamajamba from the hammock suspension once and I didn't like the results. It was hard to get high enough. I don't use a continuous ridge line for my Mamajamba set up. Instead I have two lengths of Spectra cord (both about 15 ft. long.) On one end of each is a small loop knot. To set it up I throw the loop knot end around the tree, run the tag end of the line through the loop and then I can adjust it up or down the tree depending on how much room I want between the tarp and hammock. I then have small Nit-Ize Camjams already clipped to the metal loops on the tarp's ridge. I run the tag end of the line through the Camjam then repeat with the other side and then tighten. This setup makes it easy to adjust the tarp so you get good coverage over the hammock and best of all is very fast. No knots to tie and untie.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Wilderness logics makes the Lazy slug. Its large enough the hammocks gets zipped shut with the top quilt and any other night gear; pillow, jammies still inside. Under quilt stays attached. Or you can make a hole in a stuff sack, pack liner and exit the continuous loop out of the hole. Everything else stuffs in on top of that with the other end loop being the first thing on top when you open the sack. Search Bishop bag. There are many ways to go. I find that I like my tarp in its own snake skin. A Dutch hook on one end and a Dutch flyz on the other end. The tarp adjusts on prussic loops at both ends. I'll find my trees and attach the foot end of my hammock, open the bag and walk to the other tree letting things unfuld. Then I'll string my tarp and not deploy it till the first drop of rain. So often it stays in the tarp snake skins. I'll put the stakes under a tree strap so I can deploy quick. The bishop bag or slug, the suspension stays on unless it gets wet or sappy. I sewed an elastic hair tie at the exit hole of the bag and gather up the strap and secure with the hair tie. The head end the suspension is just laid on top and draw stringed shut or my one bag is a cubeb pack liner and that is a rolltop. Hope I helped you.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The "everything in one stuff sack / snakeskin"-solution is appealing until you have to pack your tarp wet, or covered with bird droppings or tree sap. You definitely don't want your hammock in the same bag then.

Also, most prefer to hang their tarps with a separate suspension, because you will never get it as taut when using the hammock suspension. One needs an angle somewhere between 20° and 30° - the other as close to 0° as possible without doing damage to the tarp or trees.

Get some Dutch bling and some tarp sleeves to take care of your tarp. I doubt that you will regret it.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Hennessy's "tarp on hammock" suspension leaves a lot to be desired. I lasted one trip before going to a separate suspension for the tarp - I just couldn't take the sagging.

The Ultimate Hang claims to have found an improvement to the problem.

https://theultimatehang.com/2014/01/...-hammock-tarp/

However, I found it to be no improvement at all. Any "improvement" that involves shock cord just isn't an improvement to me. And like others said, I'm not packing a wet tarp with a dry hammock - not gonna happen!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    You may want to contact Brother Bones at Bonefire Gear as he has a neat way of attaching the tarp to the hammock suspension. Might be a proprietary thing, but he at least can help you figure out how to do it.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    I haven’t ever tried this, but I have always thought it sounds convenient in the sense that it would give a more consistent pitch. The height of the tarp and the centering of the hammock under the tarp would kind of take care of itself and these are still two aspects of setting up that tend to take me the longest to dial in simply due to lack of enough practice.

The thing that stops me from doing this is that I don’t understand how I would set up camp in the rain without getting the hammock wet. I guess I just haven’t found a video out there that explains it well enough for me to fully understand the method.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I think the OP would like to do as is done with Hennessy's where the tarp overlays the hammock as its removed from the snake skins. That is potentially less effective than putting up the tarp separately then putting up the hammock while under the tarp, but having done that before with a HH, its minimal risk.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

If you haven't seen it already, Shug has a series of videos on tarp setups. Links to Shug are on the hammockforums home page or just go to YouTube and search for Shug.

By the way, I'm in Georgia as well, near the Lake Oconee area. If you're near enough and want to see a tarp or two, PM me and I'll show you how I do it, which is not necessarily the best way or the only way but it seems to work for me so far.

Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Thanks all-
    I will have to play with the blackbird when it arrives and see how I like to set things up with that and the new tarp. I super appreciate the replies.
    I am looking forward to getting the new hammock.

Sidneyhornblower- I'm a good distance from Lake Oconee but thank you for the kind offer!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast