SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket

Help with Chameleon hammock options

I have the Hennessy Jungle Explorer Zip and I think after 2 seasons it's time for an upgrade. I narrowed down my new hammock to DH or Chameleon but I'm afraid the 6 week lead time for DH is too long so I will have to go with the Chameleon. Also Dutch seems to be doing great things and happy to support him!

I've been doing quite a bit of research on the final setup but I do have some last questions I'm hoping you'z can help out with:

For reference, I'm 6'0 and 200lbs - I will mostly be hanging in the North East in the summer time.

1) Wide vs regular: I've read various claims and reviews that the hexon 1.0 is a lot more comfortable than the 1.6 for some - especially side sleepers of which I'm one. Wide only comes in 1.6. I only have the Hennessy as point of reference which I do find a bit small (granted it's only 10' I think). The chameleon regular I imagine would automatically be better. I do camp on my motorcycle so keeping weight, size down is important so I'm leaning more towards the regular instead of wide.

2) Is anyone aware of photo galleries of chameleons in various colors and printed colors? I prefer to blend in as much as possible so I will probably opt for a forest green body. I would do coyote brown but somehow my mind tends to think that I may look like a stationary deer or moose to a bear! I suppose a printed leaf bugnet might also personalize the hammock as well as help to blend in but there aren't many pics I can find. I don't have an oz. of creativity/imagination so hard for me to visualize from swatches

3) Regarding double layer, I admit if I had ordered this thing a month ago I would have went with double layer hexon 1.0 because I'm super paranoid of mosquitoes biting me at night. I've never been bitten in my double layer Hennessy but I can absolutely hear those mothers buzzing around my hammock. I think the UQ should help mitigate the risk and also learned that permetherin should help so I will just treat with that. Unless of course someone wants to warn me otherwise!

4) For suspension to keep things light, I'm going to go with whoopie slings like Shug uses in his videos. I'll figure out when I call Dutch what other hardware I need i.e, toggles, etc..

Now that I've dumped my thoughts here, i guess the biggest consideration is wide vs regular and really fortifying the colors/patterns before pulling the trigger.

Thanks everyone!

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    We are the same height, but I go 215. I live in eastern Ohio and I am a 4 season camper. I went with the double layer, wide. In my 46 years, this is the best sleep I can get. All my hammocks from here on out will be double layer, why? Options.... And lots of them. Plus the added weight capacity is a bonus, if you decide to share the experience with someone.......just saying....btw I ordered my Chameleon on a Friday morning and had it the following Wednesday.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Sweet setup! You got me going on the wide vs regular searches again now...

I did find some pics of various bugnets that are printed and I'm starting to think that they may detract a bit from a clear view outside? I love looking up at the stars while hanging (and not raining) and I think black might be more neutral! Funny though there is a star pattern on Dutch's website haha.

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I've been thinking about the star pattern you speak of, for a tarp!
    Quote Originally Posted by uninjured View Post
    Sweet setup! You got me going on the wide vs regular searches again now...

I did find some pics of various bugnets that are printed and I'm starting to think that they may detract a bit from a clear view outside? I love looking up at the stars while hanging (and not raining) and I think black might be more neutral! Funny though there is a star pattern on Dutch's website haha.
    Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Some like the wide so do not. Only you can make this decision. For me I went with the regular width and like it.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Under/Top quilt
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

I'm 6'2" and i had to send back the regular width hammock because it was just too small for me. The wide option, for me, has been absolutely worth it so far. That added width is so nice for us tall people, to be able completely stretch out in the hammock.

Pretty sure Dutchware recommends the wide option for anyone 6'+

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Under/Top quilt
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Also i have the coyote brown color and personally love it. It goes well with my tarp and quilts.

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Wow, these replies are interesting. Almost sounds like if I go for the wide I'd be skipping the sedan and shooting straight up for a Caddy!

Hopefully we'll get some more arguments on each side.

FakeDavidBowie: yes I really do like the coyote color to be honest or even the dark olive. The forest green I think will just remind me too much of my Hennessy.

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Also, I just finished researching suspensions and it looks like I'll be going with Dutch's whoopie sling + Marlin Spike Hitch. 7/64 whoopies, I'm thinking 6' tree straps should do me good. But maybe worth the extra size/weight to go 8' just in case I need the extra length? I think I'll go with the Spider/Poly straps which weigh less than straight poly and are also comparably priced.

Hey, I’d also like to know if a double layer is any less comfortable than a single layer? I’d like the idea of being able to use a pad in between instead of an under quilt.

As far as suspensions go, I also followed In the Shug path with Whoopi’s and marlin spike which I really like. Then I saw another video where he went over a bunch of others.... I then went to Dutch for the polypropylene straps and descending rings from whoopieslings.com. I’m torn on which I like better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast