Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I use a Kelty pad between the layers on mine, because I do not have an under quilt, yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffeeneone View Post
    Hey, I’d also like to know if a double layer is any less comfortable than a single layer? I’d like the idea of being able to use a pad in between instead of an under quilt.

As far as suspensions go, I also followed In the Shug path with Whoopi’s and marlin spike which I really like. Then I saw another video where he went over a bunch of others.... I then went to Dutch for the polypropylene straps and descending rings from whoopieslings.com. I’m torn on which I like better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I made the DYI Costco UQ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    I made the DYI Costco UQ...
    Same here! I got lucky and found one for $10 off craigslist brand new. Instead of doing the snaps I just sewed channels on all sides and added a primary and secondary suspension. Pretty happy with it and it's small!

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    As far as suspensions go, I also followed In the Shug path with Whoopi’s and marlin spike which I really like. Then I saw another video where he went over a bunch of others.... I then went to Dutch for the polypropylene straps and descending rings from whoopieslings.com. I’m torn on which I like better.
    Thanks for the note, I re-watched his video on the descending rings but I think I will try the Marlin Spikes first but perhaps order some descending rings as well so I can also compare.

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    So I was looking at the specs of my Hennessy Hammock and the bottom dimension is 120" x 59" whereas the Chameleon standard is 132" x 58" so the Chameleon is even more narrow! Perhaps I really should get the wide afterall?

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Under/Top quilt
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Help with Chameleon hammock options

i would say that if you're at all questioning whether or not to get the wide chameleon to just go ahead and get it. that added width is really nice and its a little inconvenient to have to send back the regular width in case it is too narrow for you.

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    I think what I'll do is go for a 1.0 hexon regular first as I mentioned that I would prefer something lighter and that packs smaller. If I find that it's not for me: either the 1.0 hexon is too soft or I think a wider hammock would be more comfortable then I'll just order another wide 1.6. I'm trying to convert my wife from being a tenter so she could aways use the 1.0 hexon. Thanks for all of your replies!

Hammock
    Amok Dramur
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    If you decide to go wide, maybe consider Knotty Mods? Those help "cinch" up extra material if you aren't using it.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    At 6' and 200 lbs, I don't think you need a wide Chameleon (and knotty mods aren't possible or necessary on a Chameleon). I'd personally think twice about the Hexon 1.0 - a Hexon 1.6 hammock will be much more durable.

While I love Whoopie Slings with Dutch hooks (and have been using that suspension on all my hammocks for over 5 years), my Chameleon has the Beetle Buckle suspension with 15 ft. straps. The Beetle Buckle suspension definitely allows you to utilize trees that aren't as far apart. You probably need at least 15 ft. between trees for Whoopie Slings.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    I started in a Hennessy, used a Dream Hammock for years, and now have a Chameleon wide as well.

Wide vs regular: Wider hammocks allow you to lay at a steeper angle across the ridgeline which can feel a little flatter. More importantly for me, the extra fabric reduces the inward pressure on your outside foot, even with the cover or net attached. This pressure doesn't bother most people. It drives me insane. I will never go back to a regular hammock again. The downside? Extra fabric gets floppy and makes higher "walls" that block your view. The Chameleon tie-outs help a great deal, but the extra fabris is till noticeable.

Single vs double-layer: Double allows you to use a pad if you want. I never do. A double-layer hammock also has less fabric stretch and is more rigid. Whether this is more comfortable is a personal preference. If you have ever slept in a Sleep Number bed it's kind of like the difference between 40 and 70. Fabric stretch leads to what some people call "shoulder squeeze." This bothers some people more than others. I have a double because I go about 240 lbs these days.

SilvrSurfr hit the suspension issue on the head. I've tried then all - in New Hampshire where I spend 99% of my hanging time whoopies proved to inflexible because our regrowing forest is really dense and it's not always possible to find trees 15 or more feet apart. I tried them larksheaded to straps and with hooks. The Marlinspike hitch was fun the first two times I used it, but adjusting the hang is a pain with tying and untying over and over. I kept coming back to cinch buckles and tried every type of strap from differet weights of Kevlar to old-fashioned poly. I'm trying Beetle Buckles now on regular Spider webbing. So far this seems like the winner for me.

Hopesome of this helps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast