Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome from the Jersey Shore. My first hammock was a Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip, which I used for two years. I never found it that comfortable. Then I tried simple, gathered-end hammocks like Buttinasling or Dutch netless hammocks - they hit the comfort spot for me. You can easily add a Fronkey bugnet, then maybe grab a 3-season Jarbidge UQ and you're pretty much set for a beginner setup.

As you get more experienced, you can check out the hammocks with integrated bugnets like the Dutch Chameleon, Warbonnet, Dream Hammock that are more expensive, but very popular.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks everyone - I appreciate all of your advice!

Quick update: I have had a fear of hammocks since I was a kid and I was not 100% sure I could even lay in a hammock so I took the advice to try a cheap hammock to begin with. I found one this weekend while grocery shopping at Aldi. It cost $14.99 so I figured it wouldn't be a huge loss if I never used it. I set it up and eased into it. It was not at all tippy like the hammocks I remember from my childhood. I actually felt pretty comfortable in the hammock. So now I am planning on a quick overnight at either a local campground or at our cabin. If all goes well I will be in the market for a nice 11' hammock (cheap one is only 9.5')

Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by C.R.C. View Post
    try a cheap hammock to begin with.
    Good to hear! If all goes well, you can re-purpose the cheapie hammock as an afternoon lounger, or a gear sling, or whatever. I'm similar in height as you (5'4") and sleep nightly in an ENO DN (same length as your cheapie at 9.5'). It works for me. As you will hear here, Hang Your Own Hang (HYOH).

After my initial hammock purchase, I bought various pillows, one of which was too fluffy, so it's now used under my knees. Love my cub pillow from Arrowhead Equipment - has just the right amount of support under my neck. I also tried various types of insulation: sleeping bag, PLUQ, underquilts, topquilts. Bottom line: if I'm cold, I'm miserable. So, I bought a Walmart thermometer and started keeping track of nighttime conditions, temps, insulation used, etc.

Enjoy!
    Find your inner hammock.

Hammock
    Amok Dramur
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    CRC, just remember that a longer hammock is going to be waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy more comfortable than the one you have. So, don't make a decision that hammock sleeping isn't for you until you tryout a longer one. Makes a big, big difference in comfort.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The Warbonnet Eldorado would be an excellent top end selection, that gives you room for add ons down the road if you decide you want do 4 Seasons.

Hammock
    11' SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x12
    Insulation
    LocoLibre DWR Down
    Suspension
    Cin-Bkle Dyn-Str
    An experienced hanger can make a cheap hammock "comfortable" to a degree but an inexperience person can make the best designed hammock uncomfortable without properly setting it up. Learning to properly set up your hammock is more important than who makes it in my opinion. I would definitely go with an eleven foot hammock to start for your next hammock. I'll also second the suggestion of watching Shug's videos.

When I started hanging I failed miserably on my first hand due to setting it up rubber band tight and the fact that I had bought a nine foot hammock. I ended up on the ground that night. I didn't give up and changed the suspension. Wow what a difference. Then I learned that adjusting the suspension made it very sleepable but not yet "comfortable". Then I contacted Jared at SLD and he helped me design a hammock for me and the wife. We have never looked back once we found out just how comfortable a hammock can be. This site, the people on here, and shug's videos really helped a lot. Your on the right path to a hammock addiction

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by C.R.C. View Post
    I am not 100% sure that I will be able to hammock camp but I really want to try it out. I don't want to spend a ton of money to start with but I don't really want to go with the gear you find at WMart either.

I am 5'3" and 116 pounds and have been looking at the Hennessy Scout (Zip) to get my feet wet. Seems like a company that has been around a while and it looks like they make a decent product at a decent price.

Does anyone have any recommendations for other hammocks I should consider?

Thanks!
    If you are near Warrenton, Va, I have a Scout you can use for awhile and several other hammocks lengths/styles you can borrow to try out.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    I'm 5' 11'' and have an 11' hammock with a 12' tarp. Having hit the minimum 12' tree distance at a couple of car-camping sites, I'm now considering downsizing to a 10' hammock with 11' tarp as long as my injury isn't aggravated.

It might be best to know your available hanging distances before committing to longer hammocks. At your height, you can probably get by with a 9.5' ENO hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by W8lkinUSA View Post
    I'm 5' 11'' and have an 11' hammock with a 12' tarp. Having hit the minimum 12' tree distance at a couple of car-camping sites, I'm now considering downsizing to a 10' hammock with 11' tarp as long as my injury isn't aggravated.
    Or you keep your 11' hammock and get one of the mini-door tarps from Warbonnet. You get the protection of a 12' tarp with the ridgeline of an 11' tarp.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Or you keep your 11' hammock and get one of the mini-door tarps from Warbonnet. You get the protection of a 12' tarp with the ridgeline of an 11' tarp.
    Yikes! I don't know why I keep thinking that my SuperFly has a 12' ridgeline when it's actually 11'. I must be confusing it with my first tarp, the Noah's 12'.

So now, my goal is to be comfortable in a 10' hammock with a 10' tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast