Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

First time hammock buyer looking for advice

First time poster too. I've been reading a lot of reviews, but it's left me a little confused. I'm 5'8 (171cm), about 155lbs (70kg). I'd like to get a hammock for short trips in Japan. Even getting an Eno here to try out is fairly expensive ($100) so I figure I should maybe just go with a proper hammock from the start. I don't know if I prefer to lay left or right. I believe I'd prefer a fabric that stretches less. Bug net is a requirement. I do summer camping and mosquitos are a huge problem. It's one reason I'm also looking at a hammock, for something a bit cooler than a tent.

Warbonnet attracted my attention first. The Dutchware chameleon also seems to get great reviews and both seem to allow switching which direction you lay now. Dream hammock also gets good reviews, but their customization it is a bit intimidating. I will need to get a tarp too, easier to pitch the better.

Is there a brand you'd recommend over another to get started with? I have a foam 1 inch (2.5cm) pad (150cm length) I could use with a double layer, but it seems like air pads are preferred. I could just go single layer (saves a bit of weight and money) and either order it with an under quilt, or plan to get one in the future.

I appreciate any advice. Shipping to Japan is a bit expensive, so being able to get everything from a single company would be a bit of a bonus. I've been watching a ton of reviews and Shug's videos. Some seem a bit out of date (WBBB XLC seems like it's gotten an update since many videos). Read some of the old threads too, but a lot of new hammocks out since those were written.
    Last edited by cjlacz; 07-20-2018 at 20:52.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    You cant go wrong with either Dutch or WB. They are both amazing vendors!

Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
    You cant go wrong with either Dutch or WB. They are both amazing vendors!
    Likewise with Dream Hammock. Although they don't make tarps, I think they MIGHT be able to coordinate with UGQ re shipping.

Yes, the customization is a bit intimidating to a newcomer but a bit of studying and trading emails with Randy and/or Deanna would get you on track if you indeed want customization.

You've definitely hit on the three vendors that are most talked about here. There's a YouTube comparing their products. I think you can find it on the DH site.

Good luck and welcome,

(I've purchased hammocks from each of them!)
    Last edited by TominMN; 07-20-2018 at 21:34.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Check out shug emery onYouTube. He has reviews of all I believe!.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    HG CUBEN TARP
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies / CRL
    If you are looking for simple as far as selections go Warbonnet is probably the easiest. Pick your hammock, your fabric, color, and suspension and your done. They also make their own tarps so you can get it all right from them. Their BlackBird XLC can be set up to lay left or right.

I don’t have a hammock from Dutch but I doubt you could go wrong with one.

I have a DreamHammock Raven and I love it. To me it wins the comfort category, but as you said if you are new to hammocks their options will look like hieroglyphs.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have a Dutch Chameleon and it's comfortable. However, you might want to look at a Dutch Netless hammock and a Fronkey bugnet, which will be cheaper than the Chameleon.

Foam and air pads don't provide the most comfortable sleep in a gathered-end hammock. A double layer hammock can help manage the pad, but I'd consider an underquilt. You can get a hammock, tarp, and underquilt from Dutch or Warbonnet.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cjlacz View Post
    First time poster too. I've been reading a lot of reviews, but it's left me a little confused. I'm 5'8 (171cm), about 155lbs (70kg). I'd like to get a hammock for short trips in Japan. Even getting an Eno here to try out is fairly expensive ($100) so I figure I should maybe just go with a proper hammock from the start. I don't know if I prefer to lay left or right. I believe I'd prefer a fabric that stretches less. Bug net is a requirement. I do summer camping and mosquitos are a huge problem. It's one reason I'm also looking at a hammock, for something a bit cooler than a tent.

Warbonnet attracted my attention first. The Dutchware chameleon also seems to get great reviews and both seem to allow switching which direction you lay now. Dream hammock also gets good reviews, but their customization it is a bit intimidating. I will need to get a tarp too, easier to pitch the better.

Is there a brand you'd recommend over another to get started with? I have a foam 1 inch (2.5cm) pad (150cm length) I could use with a double layer, but it seems like air pads are preferred. I could just go single layer (saves a bit of weight and money) and either order it with an under quilt, or plan to get one in the future.

I appreciate any advice. Shipping to Japan is a bit expensive, so being able to get everything from a single company would be a bit of a bonus. I've been watching a ton of reviews and Shug's videos. Some seem a bit out of date (WBBB XLC seems like it's gotten an update since many videos). Read some of the old threads too, but a lot of new hammocks out since those were written.
    I did do a video on the Updated XLC and a light review on the Eldorado.
    Come hither.....
    Shug-san

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Could you find a local seamstress to sew you one? They are not hard.
    Also if you want a decent hammock to tool around in look on ja.aliexpress.com several decent hammocks, with suspensions there for under $30US. Shipped to Japan. I'd recommend not getting any hammock less than 300cm.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    If you like Warbonnet hammocks they are on sale right now.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Here is the warbonnet sale

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast