Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Chameleon more comfortable than my 11' netless?

Between buying a bottom entry bug net, or a chameleon. I have a zipper side entry bug net and HATE it. So I am between keeping my netless, which I love. Or getting the chameleon because I like the removable net. If it isn't any more comfortable, Ill keep the netless. Thoughts?

I love my Dutch netlesd for lounging and there's lots of netted hammock options are out there from many of our fine cottage vendors here on hammock forums. You might want to check out Simply Light Designs Trail Lair. I'm on my second one and it's easy to get in and out, plus it's oh so comfy!

Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    I love my Dutch netlesd for lounging and there's lots of netted hammock options are out there from many of our fine cottage vendors here on hammock forums. You might want to check out Simply Light Designs Trail Lair. I'm on my second one and it's easy to get in and out, plus it's oh so comfy!
    was looking at that one as well. Just not sure thats its worth the extra money to buy a whole new setup vs a new net

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have been using Dutch netless hammocks since they came out four or five years ago. Before that, I used BIAS netless hammocks. I really like the Fronkey bugnet, and have three of them (I have two sons).

Last year I won a Dutch Chameleon. I really hate zippers, and my previous experiences with hammocks that have integrated bugnets made me fearful I would get calf ridge and calf cramps like I did in the HH Expedition Zip and WBBB. However, when they called my ticket at the raffle, there were some quilts (I have enough quilts) and the Chameleon was the most expensive thing left on the table, so I grabbed it. I felt lucky that night and felt sure I was going to win something, so I'm now the proud owner of a Dutch Chameleon in Woodland Camo in Hexon 1.6 fabric.

Thankfully, no calf ridge or calf cramps with the Chameleon. I have no complaints about the comfort of the Chameleon, and the Hexon 1.6 fabric suits me fine (not too stretchy). I just personally hate zippers (don't get me started) and still prefer a Dutch netless hammock with Fronkey bugnet. However, I now have a beagle, Joey, who has never slept in any hammock but the Chameleon. The zippers keep him inside, and when I occasionally forget to zip up, he'll stick his head out of the hammock, and I'm sure he would escape if I weren't such a light sleeper. You don't want to be chasing a beagle in the forest! It's not pretty. So right now, when beagle Joey goes camping, I always take the Chameleon. Maybe when he gets older he will calm down a bit and he can sleep in my Dutch netless hammock with Fronkey bugnet.

In addition to the bugnet and peak shelf that came with my Chameleon, I also bought the winter top cover and a sidecar. As I suspected, the top cover causes a lot of condensation for me so I'm not thrilled with that (though when it gets really cold, I do like topcovers). I have never used the peak shelf or sidecar, so those are two accessories I could personally do without. I also don't use ridgeline organizers or storage pockets, or any of the other accessories Dutch has come out with so far for the Chameleon. I'm sure Dutch will come out with even more accessories in the future. I personally doubt I'll have any interest in any of the accessories, because my Chameleon already weighs about 30% more than my Dutch netless hammock and Fronkey bugnet. I'm not much of an accessory guy.

I have always used either the bugnet or the top cover with my Chameleon, so I haven't tried it with the bugnet or top cover removed. I expect the Chameleon would be just as comfortable without either. I will probably try the Chameleon without bugnet or topcover in the fall, once the mosquitoes die down and before temps get cold enough to consider the top cover (my general impression is that the top cover should only be considered at 15* F or below, but we shall see as I keep playing with it).

Weight-wise, my Dutch PolyD 1.4 netless hammock (he no longer sells PolyD 1.4 but HG does) comes in at 9.95 ounces, and my Fronkey bugnet from BIAS weighs 7 ounces. My Dutch Whoopie hook suspension with 4 ft. polyester huggers is 4.6 ounces. So my netless setup is 21.55 ounces. My Chameleon with bugnet, sidecar, peak shelf and beetle buckle suspension comes in around 30 ounces. So weight-wise, the netless is lighter (and can be lighter still when you can leave the bugnet at home).

Bottom line: I was personally very happy with just Dutch netless hammocks and a Fronkey bugnet and probably would have continued using them without ever going back to a hammock with integrated bugnet. I can get a netless hammock for $30 and a Fronkey bugnet for $57. The Chameleon I won, however, came in at $225 with bugnet and Peak shelf. I've already spent another $55 on the top cover and $40 on the Sidecar. So it's a $320 hammock now. Would I ever spend $320 on a hammock? Not in a million years, but hey, I won it! I spent $40 on raffle tickets, won a $225 Chameleon, then dropped another $95 for accessories. So really, I only spent $135 for a $320 Chameleon.

So you can just buy a bugnet, and stick with your netless hammock. Or you can go down the Chameleon path. Your choice!
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 06-01-2018 at 23:08.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    I doubt the Chameleon will be any different comfortwise than the Dutch netless. They're both just rectangles of ripstop. The differences are in the "built-in modularity" of the Chameleon compared to the "non-built-in modularity" of the netless.

I have a Dutch netless and a Fronkey bugnet. I dislike zippered bugnets and love the simplicity and practicality of the Fronkey. I like the look of some of the Chameleon accessories, especially for double hanging, but it's not enough of a thing to overcome my dislike of zippers. They're also expensive.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Chameleon is a nice ride.
    But so are the netless.
    Coin-Toss or money thing.
    Go.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Chameleon is a nice ride.
    But so are the netless.
    Coin-Toss or money thing.
    Go.
    Shug

Watched that video awhile back shig. My main reason wanting one with a built in net is to keep my bedding from falling on the ground throughout the night. Does the fonkey do a good job of that?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by presta24 View Post
    Watched that video awhile back shig. My main reason wanting one with a built in net is to keep my bedding from falling on the ground throughout the night. Does the fonkey do a good job of that?

Can’t say as I don’t own a fronkey type bugnet but don’t think it would.
    Shig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Went ahead and custom ordered a dual layer trail lair from simply light designs! Customer service has been excellent so far! Lots of back and forth emails to get exactly what I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by presta24 View Post
    Went ahead and custom ordered a dual layer trail lair from simply light designs! Customer service has been excellent so far! Lots of back and forth emails to get exactly what I wanted.

Congrats on the new purchase. Make sure to post some pictures! I'm sure Jared will have it in the mail to you pronto. I had a chance to beta test the TL prototype with the overcover. Did you add that option?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast