Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images

Hennesy Explorer vs Dutch Half-zip and DH Darien

I have been using HH for the last 15ish years (Exped, Explor, Safari, ULBB, Jungle)(all with single side zippers)
    They get the job done, and are WAY more comfortable than being on the ground.

I upgraded my son to a WBBB XLC, and am looking to upgrade mine. I went with the WBBB for my son because of the "Foot box" hoping he will be able to get on more of a diagonal (flatter) than with the HH.

I am going to upgrade mine and was looking at the Dream Hammock Darien and Dutch half-zipp. I don't need and don't want a ton of options. I lay head left/feet right and want the zipper on the head side. I want the zipper sewn on the other side.

Do the Darien and/or Half-zipped offer anything over the Hennessey Explorer? Will I get a flatter lay in them?

Thanks,
    Slack

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    CRO Up Wide
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I started out with a HH Explorer Deluxe and then an Explorer Zip. I recently bought a Dutchware Half-Zip and I can honestly tell you that imho, the HH products are not even in the same league as Dutch's. His designs are superior, the materials superb and the workmanship is impeccable.

IIRC, HH uses a polyester material for their hammock bodies, which is one of their better features imo because this makes for a very firm lay. I had a Chameleon in 1.6 Hexon and found it way too soft. I gave it to my wife, and she did not care for it either. I sold it and got her a Half Zip in Hexon 2.4, and it is simply perfect - a little softer than the HH, but much firmer than the 1.6.

I personally have given up on trying to get comfortable in a GE hammock and now use a Warbonnet Ridgerunner. However, if I HAD to go with a GE, the Half Zip is where I'd start looking. My next stop would be with Papa Smurf because word on the street is that he makes some super comfy stuff. I have corresponded with him regarding some of the issues that I had with GE hammocks (due to old injuries) and he was very helpful and brutally honest.

Hammock
    DH Darien, WBBB XLC, 6 HH
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images
    Was your Chameleon 1.6 single layer or double layer? Same with the Half Zipp in 2.4?
    Since you have both the HH Explorer and the Half Zip,, what basic design difference is there between the two?

Quote Originally Posted by Brommeland View Post
    I started out with a HH Explorer Deluxe and then an Explorer Zip. I recently bought a Dutchware Half-Zip and I can honestly tell you that imho, the HH products are not even in the same league as Dutch's. His designs are superior, the materials superb and the workmanship is impeccable.

IIRC, HH uses a polyester material for their hammock bodies, which is one of their better features imo because this makes for a very firm lay. I had a Chameleon in 1.6 Hexon and found it way too soft. I gave it to my wife, and she did not care for it either. I sold it and got her a Half Zip in Hexon 2.4, and it is simply perfect - a little softer than the HH, but much firmer than the 1.6.

I personally have given up on trying to get comfortable in a GE hammock and now use a Warbonnet Ridgerunner. However, if I HAD to go with a GE, the Half Zip is where I'd start looking. My next stop would be with Papa Smurf because word on the street is that he makes some super comfy stuff. I have corresponded with him regarding some of the issues that I had with GE hammocks (due to old injuries) and he was very helpful and brutally honest.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    CRO Up Wide
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Slackdaddy View Post
    Was your Chameleon 1.6 single layer or double layer? Same with the Half Zipp in 2.4?
    Since you have both the HH Explorer and the Half Zip,, what basic design difference is there between the two?
    Both the Chameleon and the Half Zip that I had/have are single layer hammocks. The differences between them and the HH are so great that there's really no comparison. The Dutchware hammocks are longer (11Ft), wider, have waay less calf ridge, are flatter laying, they don't have that stupid rope suspension and are set up so that you can easily use a much more adequate tarp. It's kinda like comparing an old Ford Pinto to a new Dodge Charger -they're both cars, but that's where the similarities end.

The HH's are good starter hammocks, and seem to work well for small statured people, but I'm a big guy (6'2" 245#) and I just could not get comfortable in them. Dutch's hammocks were way better, but still could not be adapted to my injuries so I went to a RR.

The stuff that the Smurf's put out sure seem like they are on par with Dutch's stuff, but since I have no "hands-on" experience with them I cannot honestly comment.

However, given your description of what you're looking for in a hammock, I don't think that you can possibly go wrong with either one.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I think most folks here would say that both the Darien and Half-Zipped are better than HH- in terms of comfort and weight. I love Dream Hammock. They are known for their really flat lay, and they have ready-to-ship Dariens for $100- with exactly everything you're looking for.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I think that Five Tango has both HH and the Half zip. If you PM him I'm sure he's got an opinion.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have a HH Safari, several WB Blackbirds, a WB Traveler XL; I had a DH RoamingGnome and DangerBird; and I have tested a couple of Dutch Chameleons and Half-Zippeds. Of all those hammocks, the Traveler XL (which is has the same lay as an XLC) has the flattest lay, closely followed by the shorter Blackbirds. None of the others have come close. But I'm only 5'4" - it might be different for somebody taller. Also, I have used fairly heavy fabrics with little stretch. The more stretch a fabric has, the less flat the lay. But with fabrics being fairly equal, I think the WB hammocks have a flatter lay because they have a long ridgeline in relation to the hammock body length. The only hammock I can sleep on my side in for an hour or two is a 1.7 DL Traveler XL.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I think the Explorer is a 10' hammock? I used to use one and seemed shorter than the ones I use now. Dutch and Darien are 11' and lighter materials. Otherwise, I don't know there's that much difference. For some, the extra foot makes a lot of difference - I wouldn't say it was a lot of difference for me, though I did find I liked a wider hammock. Some like more stout materials like the HH uses, feels more supportive. Personally, my favorite is 1.0 material. The best lay is really a subtle, personal thing. For me, it was more about other features, or the lack of them and less weight. I use a netless gathered end now.

If custom interests you at all, the Dream Hammock is a slam dunk.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dream Darien
    Tarp
    Z-Packs Hex
    Insulation
    MLD TQ; DIY UQ
    I am in a similar quandary, trying to decide between the Darien and Half-zipp. Are there other full net options that I should be considering if as my two driving factors are weight (yep - it's kind of an obsession) and also overall comfort? (My assumption is that these two are going to be nearly identical in both weight and comfort.)

Also, does anyone know if the Darien can be used in "netless" mode like the Half-zipp?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I just switched from a HH jungle double layer to the Dutch 1.6 HalfWit. Essentially the same Hammock as the Half-zip, just a different netting design.

I’m 5’8”, 160lbs and the 1.6is a HUGE improvement over the HH. So much so that my next hammock will be a 1.0 (either netless or Chameleon, I haven’t decided which yet).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast