Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

Six Years with Warbonnet

Almost 6 years ago to the day, I took my Warbonnet Blackbird and Big Mamajamba tarp out for a test. May 11, 2012. Well, not quite a test being over 4 hours and 270 miles away from home. So this was definitely baptism by fire. I sort of knew what I was doing, but not really. The comfort (uh, well) of a tent would not be with me on this 3-night trip, so I was all in.

I hiked around in a place I visited a few times during my tenting days, but decided to "explore" all the hammock options that I couldn't even think of with a tent. So after climbing a fairly steep ridge I decided to set up right on the slope. This isn't something I would recommend to a new hanger, or anyone for that matter due to the awkwardness of getting out or organizing gear. But I saw the two trees and went for it. And it was about 10PM. What was I thinking?

It didn't matter because I fell asleep so fast I couldn't believe it! It was one of those nights where you fall asleep and wake up in the exact same position as if you were drugged...for 10 hours! Right then I knew this hammocking thing was the right move.

Here's a shot in the morning after my very first night hanging.

I won't go into details about the next two nights, but I'll just say they were amazing. Great weather, great sleep (I was using a 40°+2 Incubator at the time) and everything just worked out great.

Site for night 2

Site for night 3 (look at that 80L pack stuffed!)

I'm happy to say I still have my Blackbird hammock and use it as my goto when the bugs are out. And I still have the Mamajamba tarp, although I primarily use the silpoly version now. Bullet proof products for 6 years and counting! After a few years I did manage to tear the two layers apart on the hammock, but Brandon fixed it and quickly shipped it back in time for a trip free of charge.

Six years seems like such a long time, especially with my not-so-great memory. But I still remember this trip like it was last month and all the support I received from our cottage vendors that always go above and beyond. I don't want to go into details, but I hit a "rough patch" back then and I can honestly say this new hobby a handful of people here helped me though it - most likely without even knowing it and in ways they would never imagine (so thank you Brandon, Adam, OutandBack, Shug and some oldies like Cannibal and JohnSawyer).

So thank you Warbonnet and all the other great cottage vendors out there. It's exciting to watch all the progress as time goes on; you're truly an inspiration to me.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/Superfl
    Insulation
    Wooki / 20*Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Whoopi sling
    Images
    Great memory; I can’t wait to take mine out on trail! Waiting on my wokki (in the mail)and my top quilt! I hope I can get 6 years of enjoyment. I’ve hung in the back yard and love it!

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    My first trip is also the most vivid in my memory. That puts into perspective the importance we give to gear and weight, which is really not that important. Of course we tried to reduce weight, but we couldn't, so we just left, whatever. And that's where the adventure began.

The Blackbird XLC was also my first hammock, here is the first night I spent with it alone, on an overnight hike - only 3 years ago :

Last edited by Rouskof; 05-10-2018 at 16:00.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wookie, Costco, EE
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I've had my WBBB set up for a year now, also my first hammock. The guys at Warbonnet are really great.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    You did it right. My first time out I used an Eno with nylon Slap Straps. It rained, and the whole thing sagged down 2' until my butt was on the ground. I bought a better hammock and learned what the difference between nylon and poly straps was.

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps
    Cool retrospective. Blackbird XLC was my first “real” hammock and I can’t see myself ever being without one. I use other hammocks as the situation warrants but my warbonnet gear has a special place in my life. When my blackbird xlc and superfly tarp were stolen from a campsite in Oregon this January I didn’t think twice about replacing it.

Hammock
    GE ; RR ; Vertex ; Tentsile
    Tarp
    HG Cubens W/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti, Wookis, Lynx
    Suspension
    dyneema strap/ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroma View Post
    When my blackbird xlc and superfly tarp were stolen from a campsite in Oregon this January I didn’t think twice about replacing it.
    omg, didn't think anyone could steal this type of stuff... I often leave my gear unattended based on the presumption that hammocking looks so weird to the common mortals that no one would think of stealing a hammock or tarp...

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Ha - OneClick I can just picture hanging on the side of that hill. Probably we all have to try it at some point.
    In my case, it was Stone Mountain SP here in NC. We got to our reserved backpacking spot and found two other hammockers had taken our spot (somebody had taken their spot). I found out they were on hammock forums and said just stay there, plenty of trees on the hill. I remember I could climb up the hill to the trees ok but between the trees the slope had wet leaves under the hammock. I remember slipping and grabbing the hammock straps to hang on. Pretty much couldn’t get my feet under me without slipping. But it was fun - no way you could tent there

It’ll be 6 years for me in Sept. First hammock was a Traveller for my daughter.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Nice! Just over six years for my BB and still going strong. I’m over the suggested maximum weight capacity for a single layer 1.7 but no problems yet.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG CF Std
    Insulation
    Mamba TQ/Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images
    I have to admit to a "rough patch" after I retired from the military and too thank Brandon, Shug, and a few others for getting me back out there over 4 years ago. I look forward to listening to the wind in the pines and wetting a fly now.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast