Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tarp with Doors For Car Camping - Suggestions?

I have a HG Cuben Fiber tarp with doors for backpacking, but I'm hesitant to set it up for car camping, which I usually do in crowded National Parks front country campgrounds. Does anyone have any suggestions for inexpensive tarps with doors? Weight is not a concern. Thanks!

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Chill Gorilla now makes a tarp with doors. And it looks like they're now made of silnylon- which is much lighter than their old tarp (which I have). I've had good luck with their old tarp, so I imagine this one would be good. $89 isn't a bad deal for a 12' tarp w/doors and panel pulls. It also comes with lines and stakes- although I'd ditch the line (keep the stakes).

CHILL GORILLA FORTRESS HAMMOCK RAIN FLY WITH 4 DOORS. Tent Tarp Waterproof Camping Shelter. ULTRALIGHT SILNYLON. Easy to setup. Essential Survival Gear. Stakes Included. Green https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071XXNL2N..._lQ07Ab8YRNME2

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    another option would be the Kelt Noah 12 for $70: https://smile.amazon.com/Kelty-Noahs...elty+noah+tarp
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

This would be my go-to but as a woman who sometimes camps solo I'd prefer the security of doors (even if it's only the illusion of security!) Thanks, though.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
    This would be my go-to but as a woman who sometimes camps solo I'd prefer the security of doors (even if it's only the illusion of security!) Thanks, though.
    with the Noah 12 you can set it up to have doors.this was my first tarp and I used to set it up with doors

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_35b.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_35c.jpg
    (not pitch the best but gives you and idea)
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Nice, thanks!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12 & WD13
    Insulation
    UGQ, HG
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I am a solid supporter of Winter Dream Tarps from UGQ
    I have their WD 12 for backpacking and WD13XL for car camping, since I have all Pole mods to expand it to the largest size for family use.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Chill Gorilla now makes a tarp with doors. And it looks like they're now made of silnylon- which is much lighter than their old tarp (which I have). I've had good luck with their old tarp, so I imagine this one would be good. $89 isn't a bad deal for a 12' tarp w/doors and panel pulls. It also comes with lines and stakes- although I'd ditch the line (keep the stakes).

CHILL GORILLA FORTRESS HAMMOCK RAIN FLY WITH 4 DOORS. Tent Tarp Waterproof Camping Shelter. ULTRALIGHT SILNYLON. Easy to setup. Essential Survival Gear. Stakes Included. Green https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071XXNL2N..._lQ07Ab8YRNME2

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'll never be able to buy a Chill Gorilla product until they ditch the huge ugly logo on their products.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    How do you define "inexpensive"? And also what are your requirements/expectations from the gear? Buy once, cry once is my advice for a quality piece of multi functional gear that will last you a long time if cared for properly, even if it is your secondary tarp/hammock, etc.. If you DIY or know someone who does, you can get a higher quality piece of gear at a lower price than conventional OTS gear. If you are ok with a wally world tarp, then those are probably your cheapest option, but after using your DCF tarp, you are probably spoiled! You can sometimes find someone selling a gently used tarp for a good price on the for sale section of the forums.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by robertjackson View Post
    I am a solid supporter of Winter Dream Tarps from UGQ
    I have their WD 12 for backpacking and WD13XL for car camping, since I have all Pole mods to expand it to the largest size for family use.
    Haven't owned any UGQ myself yet, although I had a chance to see a Winter Dream set up when I stopped by the Palmetto State Hangers "Spring Swing" last month, and it was really nice.

The Chill Gorilla stuff might be OK, but if it's anywhere near the quality of the tarps commonly mentioned on the forum, I'm wondering why we haven't heard a lot more about it? I know there's people out there (besides myself...) who love some Amazon deals. But with several well documented choices well under $150 from vendors with great reputations around here for products which are almost certainly better quality, $90 seems like more of a gamble. If it was $50, and actually keeps you dry without falling apart, I'd consider it a great option for car camping and could care less if it's too heavy for backpacking - saves wear and tear on the good stuff. OTOH, on their Amazon Page they claim to be "BETTER THAN COMPETITORS" and then proceed to list some. ENO? Bear Butt? Maybe, but while those might not be top shelf they're not junk, so I'd want to see some testing. Kelty? Hennessey? Yeah, gonna have to prove that. Warbonnet? Seriously? Riiiigggghhhttt.......

[RANT]
    They're claiming that this thing is better than a SuperFly? Seems to be some complaints about leaking in the Amazon reviews. Well, at least they can claim that expecting buyers to seal their own seams is not unusual for high quality tarps. Then again, high quality tarp vendors actually bother to mention that on their websites... in addition to actually having the product there. While they didn't mention any need to seal seams in their product description on Amazon, I decided to be fair, I should check their web site. ChillGorrilla.com has no "Fortress" tarp under the product list or search results. So this is quite possibly a discontinued product. Caveat Emptor
    [/RANT]

FWIW, some HF users have had good things to say about other (not the Fortress) Chill Gorilla tarps. While there are some red flags, and I'd definitely bet against it being equal to the popular winter tarps around here, it's possible that the Chill Gorilla Fortress is actually a decent tarp. It's even possible that it's a reasonable value, despite a price that pushes it close to cottage vendor territory. But I'd recommend a healthy dose of skepticism until some actual reports show up around here. If you do give it a try, please let us all know how it goes!

If you decide you don't need doors and just want a big cheap tarp from Amazon, you might want to check out the YUEDGE 10×13 Ft Hammock Tarp for (as of 5/7/2018) $30.48. I can't quite recommend it until I've actually had a chance to get some rain on it, but first impressions are that it's heavy but solid, and could be quite a decent value when you want something huge and cheap and don't care about the weight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast