Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_man587 View Post
    the idea i was kinda going for was, a hammock with a removable bug net, but in stead of carrying a rain fly that sits on the same ridge line id carry the cuben fiber (or if there's a lighter version) rain fly thats completely separate, so i can set that up first as a make shift shelter or even as a A frame style ground set up for the bivy. this will allow me to either A: set up my hammock out of the rain, B: act as a winter shelter if i get the one with doors. or C just sleep under it in a bivy.
    Just keep in mind that Hennessy Hammocks are the exception, not the rule. I don't think there's any other hammock vendor that has the tarp sitting on the same ridgeline. Hennessy's idea is that the tarp should be connected to the hammock suspension, but I never liked the idea (can't set the tarp up separately), so I immediately went to a separate tarp ridgeline with my Hennessy.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

May I suggest getting in touch with James at little house of hammocks? He's based in Saskatchewan, and everything I've bought from him has been fantastic and custom. It won't be cheap, but I'm willing to bet he can check a bunch of the boxes that you're looking for.

He's Firesong on the forums here, or contact him through his web site https://www.littleshopofhammocks.com.

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk
    Lurker.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Hey Rob Man! Welcome to the forums.
    You need to come out for a group hang. Check for the EGL group(Eastern Great Lakes)
    We'll teach you everything you need to know and then some. Great group of Peeps and some great trips.
    Oh yeah, and bring your appetite.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    havent decided
    Tarp
    no idea
    Insulation
    learning
    Suspension
    rope kind!
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    Hey Rob Man! Welcome to the forums.
    You need to come out for a group hang. Check for the EGL group(Eastern Great Lakes)
    We'll teach you everything you need to know and then some. Great group of Peeps and some great trips.
    Oh yeah, and bring your appetite.
    Thanks im glad to be here. prob one of the nicest forums im a part of and only been here 2 days !!!

ill deff check out the group thanks for the heads up!!

Images
    Keep in mind that there is no requirement to hang the small HH tarp on the RL, (edit: I meant "on the hammock suspension" not RL) and most people don't do it. Though IMO, it provides better coverage from that small tarp. And of course, many others get a credit for the small tap when ordering and just get a larger tarp which they attach to the trees. But, if you want to- and some do, and in fact I did for a long time- then it is designed so you can use the tarp attached to the HH suspension, no lines to the trees needed, only 2 guy out lines, i on each side.

I use the Hennessy Super Shelter( HHSS )for bottom insulation with my Hennessy, and that has a waterproof sil-nylon bottom.

The Claytor Jungle Hammock advertises a waterproof bottom, but seems like mine- 10 years ago- was not. But maybe mine was defective?
    http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html

The Hammock is 100% waterproof, and there is a double bottom layer to slide a foam pad in for snow and winter camping.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-23-2018 at 12:15.

Hammock
    havent decided
    Tarp
    no idea
    Insulation
    learning
    Suspension
    rope kind!
    so my hammock has been ordered i ended up going with little shop hammocks, the warrior.

now its time for a tarp. i found this on amazon is it a good deal? https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-UL...n+hammock+tent

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_man587 View Post
    so my hammock has been ordered i ended up going with little shop hammocks, the warrior.

now its time for a tarp. i found this on amazon is it a good deal? https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-UL...n+hammock+tent
    Personally, I wouldn't buy a tarp on Amazon - weather protection is the most important piece of gear in your whole hammock setup (followed closely by insulation) and you don't want to put your trust in a "made in China" tarp. You might find very few reviews of Chill Gorilla tarps on HammockForums, but remember, most of those reviews are probably written by noobs looking for the cheapest tarp possible.

On the plus side, they do say the tarp is made from silnylon, but I would still recommend you buy a tarp from a trusted cottage vendor with extensive reviews and recommendations on HF. I've never read a negative review of Little Shop of Hammocks gear - so that's a consideration if you're in Canada.

By the way, I have a closet full of Amazon tarps - took me a while to figure out that you get what you pay for!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    havent decided
    Tarp
    no idea
    Insulation
    learning
    Suspension
    rope kind!
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't buy a tarp on Amazon - weather protection is the most important piece of gear in your whole hammock setup (followed closely by insulation) and you don't want to put your trust in a "made in China" tarp. You might find very few reviews of Chill Gorilla tarps on HammockForums, but remember, most of those reviews are probably written by noobs looking for the cheapest tarp possible.

On the plus side, they do say the tarp is made from silnylon, but I would still recommend you buy a tarp from a trusted cottage vendor with extensive reviews and recommendations on HF. I've never read a negative review of Little Shop of Hammocks gear - so that's a consideration if you're in Canada.

By the way, I have a closet full of Amazon tarps - took me a while to figure out that you get what you pay for!
    haha alright good to know! ill deff be on the look out on the forums!

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64

Regarding the tarp / rainfly - I'm not a native speaker, but I always thought that both are different words for the same thing... But correct me if I'm wrong.
    Hutzelbein, you are a native speaker, it just happens to be German.

Here is my understanding between a “tarp” and a “rain fly”

A RAIN FLY is a waterproof covering that attaches to and covers a tent which came with the tent when purchased.

A TARP is a waterproof covering bought separate and is pitched between 2 trees as is the hammock. You could call it a “rain fly” but it is a TARP.
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I think you’re all referring to a “Hootchie”!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast