DH Raven (5103)
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex 70D
    Insulation
    HG Econ UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    I agree with making sure your foot end is higher as well as making sure you've got a good angle on your suspension.

One thing to remember is that often you can't completely eliminate the calf ridge, but you can move it to a location where it's less noticeable. Sometimes this means simply shifting your butt a couple inches to one side of the other to move the tight ridge running down that specific area in the hammock. Other times, you can just shift your diagonal position slightly. Let us know how you're coming along with it.
    Thanks. I'll keep you posted. I'm heading to the woods this weekend. Hope to find my bliss.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by adam.b View Post
    I'll do that. Sometimes I wonder if I follow the 30 degree rule too strict.

My Raven is Hyper D 1.6, and I think a 40°-ish angle provides a little more comfort- for me at least.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    All I can say is that I wish you luck.

This is my curse when it comes to non-bridge hammocks. it is not the only thing, but it IS #1 thing, that keeps me from going back from bridge hammocks to non-bridge. I have personally never found a non-bridge hammock that can guarantee me no calf ridge problems every time. ...etc, etc. etc.

So I would prefer to go back to non-bridge, but it ain't easy. Good luck to you.
    You probably should consider changing your definition of "non-bridge" to GE. There are other models of hammocks that are "non-bridge" and yet not GE hammocks, and by design, do not have the potential for CR. Specifically, the ninety degree hammocks, e.g. the Hammocktent, the Exped Ergo, and the Amok Draumr. Moreover, the 90* hammocks do not suffer from the excessive shoulder squeeze of the standard bridge hammock. Although I have not tried a wide bridge such as the Phat Folks bridge model, and my experiences are specifically with a WBRR that I passed along for someone else to enjoy due to the Hammocktents being so much more comfortable. Not that the 90* hammocks don't have their own pros and cons, like all hammock designs seem to have.

Also, regarding the GE DH Raven, I owned a SL Raven that I eventually sold to finance a DL DH Sparrow. I almost always used an inflatable Exped pad in the Raven which makes CR impossible. For me individually, both for my WBBB XLC and my Sparrow (using a Wooki UQ or HG Phoenix) lengthening the SRL has been the key to finding the comfort sweet spot. Albeit, it was more a factor of knee hyper-extension than calf ridge.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    You probably should consider changing your definition of "non-bridge" to GE. There are other models of hammocks that are "non-bridge" and yet not GE hammocks, and by design, do not have the potential for CR. Specifically, the ninety degree hammocks, e.g. the Hammocktent, the Exped Ergo, and the Amok Draumr. Moreover, the 90* hammocks do not suffer from the excessive shoulder squeeze of the standard bridge hammock. Although I have not tried a wide bridge such as the Phat Folks bridge model, and my experiences are specifically with a WBRR that I passed along for someone else to enjoy due to the Hammocktents being so much more comfortable. Not that the 90* hammocks don't have their own pros and cons, like all hammock designs seem to have.

Also, regarding the GE DH Raven, I owned a SL Raven that I eventually sold to finance a DL DH Sparrow. I almost always used an inflatable Exped pad in the Raven which makes CR impossible. For me individually, both for my WBBB XLC and my Sparrow (using a Wooki UQ or HG Phoenix) lengthening the SRL has been the key to finding the comfort sweet spot. Albeit, it was more a factor of knee hyper-extension than calf ridge.
    Yes, you are right I now realize. Now that the 90º hammocks are here. I actually thought about that briefly, but was too lazy to change my ways. The reason I don't say GE is because I think some see enough difference between gathered and channel ends to require not calling them the same. Hence I just went to "non-bridge" to cover both. Sigh, guess I need to come up with something else. I would already have an Amok were it not for the weight, or I would already own an H.tent were it not for the newer weight limit reduction. For one thing, I love the ability to escape UQs if desired is very attractive. Although, I can really already do that in the bridges, but I suspect that would work even better with these 90º jobs.

In my case, re: the shoulders, I have no significant issue with that even with the JRBs, which are not as wide as the WBRR(I have both brands). I came to realize over time that for me, it was not an actual squeeze like I get when a GE is suspended too tightly, but more that my shoulders are forced into the same shape as I assume if, while sitting in my recliner right now, I lay my arms across my chest, like I am hugging myself, or the "Ed Sullivan pose", if you remember him. It is not, for me, actually uncomfortable(actually the opposite), though I realize it is for some. Besides, I tend to quickly go to my side, at which point it is moot. Still, I can see how even more shoulder room, achieved without even wider spreader bars, would be attractive, and I'd love to try it out. I probably will soon.

EDIT: Re: what you say about lengthening the ridgeline: fascinating. Because a few of my hammocks, that I do not us a SRL on(Claytor, Speer, Switchback), I have always noticed on some of these that they are often more comfy if I don't hang them with as much sag as some hammocks, less knee extension as you say, and maybe a more consistent lack of calf pressure. Hanging them a bit tighter corresponds with a longer RL. Also, sometimes I seem to escape some calf ridge by not getting quite so diagonal, being more parallel with that RL rather than across it. That last also sometimes seems to work better with a slightly tighter hammock(longer RL).
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-15-2018 at 20:35.

You could start backing off one suspension end by 10/20mm... applying this will give to the effect of reducing a little tension out of the RL..... This is slightly changing the characteristic of the hammock body firmness.

This backing off the tension is allowing a softer feel with the fabric, and with the calf ridge area or the inside wall of the foot box....

By reducing a little tension on the suspension, is offering extra give too the fabric of the hammock.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

EDIT: Re: what you say about lengthening the ridgeline: fascinating. Because a few of my hammocks, that I do not us a SRL on(Claytor, Speer, Switchback), I have always noticed on some of these that they are often more comfy if I don't hang them with as much sag as some hammocks, less knee extension as you say, and maybe a more consistent lack of calf pressure. Hanging them a bit tighter corresponds with a longer RL. Also, sometimes I seem to escape some calf ridge by not getting quite so diagonal, being more parallel with that RL rather than across it. That last also sometimes seems to work better with a slightly tighter hammock(longer RL).
    Yes indeed it does make the lay more parallel to the SRL, and tighter, hence flatter. IMHO, the WBBB XLC naturally lays more parallel to the SRL than the other GEs I've used. Consequently, the XLC took less additional SRL lengthening than did the Sparrow. My Sparrow lay now more closely mimics the XLC lay.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    So were you able to get it dialed in and lose the calf ridge?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Calf ridge intel.....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB BBXLC, DH, DIY, GT Hybrid
    Tarp
    Etowah Outfitters
    Insulation
    HG TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by adam.b View Post
    A few months back I received a HG full length underquilt. Since then I've noticed a bit of calf ridge.
    Without going into much detail can anyone suggest how to relieve this?
    I'm trying not to use a pad.
    I'm a left lay.
    Yes, I've watched Shug's videos.

Thanks.

To me, where i put my butt in the hammock is a huge factor in calf ridge. I find my DH a bit more finicky than the XLC, but think most of that is just SL vs DL. All GE hammocks have a sweet spot to position yourself in. I raise the foot end a bit, but that is more to keep me from sliding to the middle of the hammock at night than to fight calf ridge. I think if you experiment with how far to the right or left of center you put your butt before you get in your diagonal lay, you will find a magic spot that gets the calf ridge down to an almost unnoticeable level. Then a rolled up shirt or some such under the knees will get rid of it.

I am not on the level of Shug and the other guys here, but my hammocks get used a lot. I can say all hammocks are individuals and you will need to find the sweet spot on any you use. But, positioning in my mind is critical. Then adjusting the end heights and ridge line tension will dial in your comfort. I promise my DH is an amazing sleeping hammock and i bet yours will be too.

Try moving the derriere a bit and see if it helps. If my advice doesn't help, i will refund 100% of the consultation fee! LOL, good luck.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12