Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seeking Cranberry Wilderness info - Spring 2018

First of all hello fellow hangers! Im planning a 2-3 night outing in the Cranberry Wilderness of WV the first week of May and I'm seeking advice and hopefully some on the ground reports.

Ive never been to Cranberry Wilderness, in fact Ive never been to West Virginia, so this is a totally new area for me. Im looking for a easy to moderate roughly 3 day hike. Based on the reading Ive done I think Ive narrowed the routes down to either the North Fork to Middle Fork loop or the North South - Big Beechy loop. Im calculating roughly 24 miles for either route.

It seems that more big publications, magazines etc, suggest the North South - Big Beechy, but Im seeing more user reports from individuals on the North Fork - Middle Fork loop. Any suggestions? Is one generally more scenic than the other? I noticed that the North South trails appears to follow a ridge and maybe would have better views and/or more varied scenery? Any difference in difficulty?

I realize this is very early season for this area, but any on the ground reports from this spring? Any serious wash outs or other obstructions? How are the river crossings?

Any other comments or general suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I Just realized this should have been posted in the South East sub-forum, whoops. Any chance a Mod could move it for me?
    Last edited by Nickwin; 04-05-2018 at 12:37.

Hammock
    Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch

Seeking Cranberry Wilderness info - Spring 2018

Hey there. I remembered this video done by sintax77

https://youtu.be/3_0Bgyad4KM

His trip details here
    http://www.sintax77.com/ultralight-b...ry-wilderness/

One of the early videos that got me thinking about the possibilities of hammock camping.

Hammock
    HH Expl UL, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Beetles n straps
    N/S is water limited as your on the top of the ridgeline, same as beachy. I would recommend the middle fork on your way back. Maybe N/S to little fork then little fork to middle and back to 150. Little fork is not used much and a little rough on the top but drops into water, it has some really cool big rock scenery. Middle follows water up and is a nice easy path along the stream. I'm planning on pulling an in and back on middle fork next weekend(weather permitting) I will try and post an after action.

Definitely the ridgelines will have farther views but I find the whole area beautiful. It is a bit dense so there aren't a lot of really far off scenery views once the vegetation comes in. Perfect hanging area though!

Water crossings aren't bad as long as there hasn't just been a big rain.
    Nec Aspera Terrent
    Lightfighter

Quote Originally Posted by Badweissenbier View Post
    N/S is water limited as your on the top of the ridgeline, same as beachy. I would recommend the middle fork on your way back. Maybe N/S to little fork then little fork to middle and back to 150. Little fork is not used much and a little rough on the top but drops into water, it has some really cool big rock scenery. Middle follows water up and is a nice easy path along the stream. I'm planning on pulling an in and back on middle fork next weekend(weather permitting) I will try and post an after action.

Definitely the ridgelines will have farther views but I find the whole area beautiful. It is a bit dense so there aren't a lot of really far off scenery views once the vegetation comes in. Perfect hanging area though!

Water crossings aren't bad as long as there hasn't just been a big rain.
    Thanks for the info! Im looking at a topo map right now, just so were on the same page, your saying go out N/S to Little Fork, little fork up to the Williams River and then east (not sure what this trail is called) to the Big Beechy junction and then south to Middle fork and out? That loop appears to maybe just a couple miles longer than the other two I mentioned, definitely a doable distance.

Ill be anxiously waiting on your trip report!

Hammock
    HH Expl UL, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Beetles n straps
    Yes, take N/S to Little fork(no water until you get down little fork a little ways), then it meets up with middle fork at 3 forks campground. Start up middle fork, Beachy branches off a couple miles up the middlefork trail. follow middlefork until north trail junction, make a right and it will bring you back to the N/S near the parking area.

Best reference I've seen is at http://www.mapwv.gov/trails/

it's got interactive trails where you can get distances and elevations.
    Nec Aspera Terrent
    Lightfighter

Yes, take N/S to Little fork(no water until you get down little fork a little ways), then it meets up with middle fork at 3 forks campground. Start up middle fork, Beachy branches off a couple miles up the middlefork trail. follow middlefork until north trail junction, make a right and it will bring you back to the N/S near the parking area.

Best reference I've seen is at http://www.mapwv.gov/trails/

it's got interactive trails where you can get distances and elevations.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. Thanks for the link too, that looks like a great resource. I like the sound of this loop, I've heard really good things about the N/S and the Middle Fork and this would hit both of those. Plus water the whole way out is nice.

I found this (old) trip report of the Little Fork http://www.midatlantichikes.com/cwb.htm.

Sounds like not many (or any?) options for camping along that section of trial? If not Im thinking maybe go for the camp site approx. .5 miles up the Laurelly trail the first night, then back track back to the Little Fork the next morning and head north to the campsites at Big Beechy jct the second night. That would make day 2 (the LF) about 9 miles which is doable but probably about the max we would want to tackle in a day.

Enjoy our trip!
    Last edited by Nickwin; 04-06-2018 at 10:54.

Quote Originally Posted by alt.thomas View Post
    Hey there. I remembered this video done by sintax77

https://youtu.be/3_0Bgyad4KM

His trip details here
    http://www.sintax77.com/ultralight-b...ry-wilderness/

One of the early videos that got me thinking about the possibilities of hammock camping.
    I had actually found this resource already but thanks for the suggestion! It was a wealth of information.

Hammock
    HH Expl UL, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Beetles n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickwin View Post
    Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. Thanks for the link too, that looks like a great resource. I like the sound of this loop, I've heard really good things about the N/S and the Middle Fork and this would hit both of those. Plus water the whole way out is nice.

I found this (old) trip report of the Little Fork http://www.midatlantichikes.com/cwb.htm.

Sounds like not many (or any?) options for camping along that section of trial? If not Im thinking maybe go for the camp site approx. .5 miles up the Laurelly trail the first night, then back track back to the Little Fork the next morning and head north to the campsites at Big Beechy jct the second night. That would make day 2 (the LF) about 9 miles which is doable but probably about the max we would want to tackle in a day.

Enjoy our trip!
    If your hanging and it’s just you and another then no worries just pick a spot, but yes if your tenting and more than a couple of you then you’ll have to look for already prepared sites like your plan. Yes, Little fork doesn’t have much in the way of previous Camp sites.
    Nec Aspera Terrent
    Lightfighter

If your hanging and it’s just you and another then no worries just pick a spot, but yes if your tenting and more than a couple of you then you’ll have to look for already prepared sites like your plan. Yes, Little fork doesn’t have much in the way of previous Camp sites.
    Ill be hanging but my dad and brother will be in a 3 man tent. They will probably be converted by the end of the trip... Thanks again!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast