Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Okay, here's a new question (or two):

We scheduled arriving at MTR on 9/8. MTR said today on phone that they are closing on 9/7 (cabins and restaurant, not sure about store?) (but apparently is open till 9/22 to pick up resupply buckets).

Also, they don't take reservations for cabins for one night, you have to reserve two nights.

Is it worth humping to get there two days early (on 9/6) somehow just to be able to stay two nights? Is it that super a place? Is it worth humping to get there one day early just for a sit-down meal?

We'd probably have to skip a planned ZERO at Reds Meadow and totally skip VVR. Seems to me a lot on one side of the equation and only MTR (costly at that) on the other side.

I know only my hike companions and I can really decide, but as we've never been there, any advice and/or opinions on the place would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Okay, here's a new question (or two):

We scheduled arriving at MTR on 9/8. MTR said today on phone that they are closing on 9/7 (cabins and restaurant, not sure about store?) (but apparently is open till 9/22 to pick up resupply buckets).

Also, they don't take reservations for cabins for one night, you have to reserve two nights.

Must be a new thing, we had 1 night reservations.

Is it worth humping to get there two days early (on 9/6) somehow just to be able to stay two nights? Is it that super a place? Is it worth humping to get there one day early just for a sit-down meal?

You'll get real meals, laundry, electrical outlets, hot springs, and booze (send in your resupply). VVR is nice to do a zero as well. I found the people at MTR to be rude, but they are mainly a dude ranch first and foremost.

We'd probably have to skip a planned ZERO at Reds Meadow and totally skip VVR. Seems to me a lot on one side of the equation and only MTR (costly at that) on the other side.

I preferred the restaurant at Red's, as they serve all meals, and you'll have phone reception there if you need it. They also have a store to buy things, including ice cream!

I know only my hike companions and I can really decide, but as we've never been there, any advice and/or opinions on the place would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    90* Hammocktent 2.0
    Tarp
    Hammocktent Cuben
    Insulation
    Exped pad, EE TQ
    Suspension
    kevlar tree strap
    image.jpgIn my experience over the last two summers, staying/ending at VVR 1st section hike. Then starting at VVR, finishing at MTR 2nd section. VVR was great both times with helpful staff and many conveniences, food, showers, free hiker camping, laundry, big hiker food boxes for taking/leaving food. On 2nd section, ending at MTR, we didn't have reservations for a cabin, food cache to pick up, or need any supplies. We did originally plan to hammock near the Blaney hot springs where you have to cross the San Joaquin river. The one staff person we found at MTR didn't recommend crossing the river as flows were high last July. There also weren't many camping options then for us unless we just commando camped away from trail around MTR. We checked their hiker supply store while we were there, cause a soda or beer sounded wonderful, but no drinks and very little food/treats were stocked. We did get sodas and ice cream at store at Florence lake after boat shuttle, but if we were continuing on JMT, I might have been disappointed. I'm sure other amenities are available to you if you stay for 2 nights in one of their cabins. Also mosquitos were the worst around MTR, but in September mosquitos won't be a problem. It took us two nights, three days of hiking to do that section for food reference, although you may do more/less daily miles than us. Neither place is cheap, VVR trucks their supplies up, MTR trucks, boats, jeeps, their supplies in. 1st section hike as we arrived at the other end of Edison lake for boat shuttle, we came upon trail magic. A VVR cook, in his day off, had an ice chest of beers and was BBQ'ing burgers for hungry or thirsty hikers. That made my VVR experience even better, although for dinner I had steak, potatoes, and veggies, followed by 1/2 a pulled pork sandwich my hiking partner and I split. Food was amazing, but pricey. Trail magic was free. For MTR, I'd definitely send food cache there at a minimum. 2-3 less days of food in the pack is worthy. Fees to send food caches there can hopefully be shared between you and your buddies. Hope this helps. My daughter and I have moved our June MTR-Whitney section hike to late July to 1st of August. Snow shouldn't be an issue and most water crossings should be even safer

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Beetles / Webbing
    Question on hammock suspension for JMT. Currently I use 15' straps w/Dutch cinch buckles (don't recall the name...beetle buckles?). It appears from others that have hammocked the JMT that 15' straps may not provide enough flexibility given larger tree diameters in the Sierras. I'm considering carrying two 6' whoopies and converting my straps (if necessary) into a lark's head toggle system to get more length. I can attach the whoopies (if needed) and get the additional length. Also, I'm considering dog bones as tree strap extenders for larger trees. Can dog bones be used in this way? Anyone have any experience or advice on this setup?

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TNWoodsman View Post
    ... I'm considering dog bones as tree strap extenders for larger trees. Can dog bones be used in this way? Anyone have any experience or advice on this setup?
    I've done it a time or two! With success.

Didn't like sleeping on the ground?!
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

15' is more than enough for the JMT. I used 15' tree straps and never came close to needing more. If you are concerned, I have previously used whoopies attached to my tree straps to give me extra length, but I've done that twice in my time hammock camping here in CA.

The trees along the JMT aren't that thick, they're higher in elevation. The thick ones are lower and at lower elevations, there are plenty of camp sites and trees to pick from. I felt much less anxiety about hanging on the JMT than when I did it with a tent and concerned that I wouldn't be able to find an open camp site at the end of the day's hike.

Quote Originally Posted by TNWoodsman View Post
    Question on hammock suspension for JMT. Currently I use 15' straps w/Dutch cinch buckles (don't recall the name...beetle buckles?). It appears from others that have hammocked the JMT that 15' straps may not provide enough flexibility given larger tree diameters in the Sierras. I'm considering carrying two 6' whoopies and converting my straps (if necessary) into a lark's head toggle system to get more length. I can attach the whoopies (if needed) and get the additional length. Also, I'm considering dog bones as tree strap extenders for larger trees. Can dog bones be used in this way? Anyone have any experience or advice on this setup?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Beetles / Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by natemeister View Post
    15' is more than enough for the JMT. I used 15' tree straps and never came close to needing more. If you are concerned, I have previously used whoopies attached to my tree straps to give me extra length, but I've done that twice in my time hammock camping here in CA.

The trees along the JMT aren't that thick, they're higher in elevation. The thick ones are lower and at lower elevations, there are plenty of camp sites and trees to pick from. I felt much less anxiety about hanging on the JMT than when I did it with a tent and concerned that I wouldn't be able to find an open camp site at the end of the day's hike.
    Appreciate the quick response and thanks for the insight.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Beetles / Webbing
    Question about using Tuolomne Meadows and Reds Meadow general stores for purchasing some resupply. Do these stores have dehydrated backpacker meals or just typical small grocery fare? Recently learned that OV/Independence (we are staying at Mt. Williamson Motel) doesn't have a store...killing my plan of buying the last few days of resupply there. What can I expect to have available at Tuolomne and Reds?

Have you considered mailing what you want to yourself ahead of time?
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast