Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: permethrin

permethrin

Hi everyone!

When you soak your hammock in permethrin, do you feel that you are protected from bellow only or it creates some kind of "force field" around you. In other words, do you need a bugnet if your hammock as been soak in permethrin ? Maybe use some permethrin on the top quilt too ?

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    I sprayed Permethrin on the hammock, not soaked the hammock in it. Also, I like to keep my bug net on the hammock as it helps keep my stuff from falling out. The bugs that touch the treated areas will die. Not sure about how it works like an anti-bug "force field"!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Silpoly Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Mamba/Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    Yes. You will still need a bugnet.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    Yes. You will still need a bugnet.
    Many insects treat permethrin like candy so yes I always take the bug net.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    It's more of a "kills on contact" than a deterrent. They can land and maybe even bite first. It won't keep them off so much as it will kill them after they land.

Ok thx guys! I dont like to be enclosed in a bugnet... I guess I will have get used at it

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Take a fool's advice.Every morning and every night I take a B complex vitamin with electrolytes and an apple cider vinegar Capsule.
    Last summer in Georgia in all the heat and humidity down in the piney woods near a pond I camped and the mosquitoes had zero interest in me.Your mileage may vary.Another thing I have noticed is that my cholesterol has lowered itself without me doing anything else.I don't know if it's the supplements or not.....................

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fsupaintball View Post
    It's more of a "kills on contact" than a deterrent. They can land and maybe even bite first. It won't keep them off so much as it will kill them after they land.
    Last spring I did a test with some Rail Riders pants with InsectShield, which is supposed to repel/kill ticks.

While doing one my 3-4 weekly short hikes in a local park I found a deer tick on my dog's front leg, which I removed and put on the thigh area of the pants. I sat down on a rock to see how the tick would react. He crawled around for a while as I kept him corralled in the same little area. I kept expecting him to curl up, or to show some sort of distress, but it never happened. After about 15 minutes I flicked him off, got up and continued on... with substantially less faith that this stuff does anything at all.

The instructions say the InsectShield treatment is good for 70 washings, and these had been washed only once.

Photo of the tick on InsectShield pants
    Tick_01.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis
    The vitamin tab and vinegar capsule sounds interesting. I think I’ll try that.

I chewed a daily clove of garlic for additional insect protection. Mixed with food to prevent belly burn. It may have helped, seemed to.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Last spring I did a test with some Rail Riders pants with InsectShield, which is supposed to repel/kill ticks.

While doing one my 3-4 weekly short hikes in a local park I found a deer tick on my dog's front leg, which I removed and put on the thigh area of the pants. I sat down on a rock to see how the tick would react. He crawled around for a while as I kept him corralled in the same little area. I kept expecting him to curl up, or to show some sort of distress, but it never happened. After about 15 minutes I flicked him off, got up and continued on... with substantially less faith that this stuff does anything at all.

The instructions say the InsectShield treatment is good for 70 washings, and these had been washed only once.

Photo of the tick on InsectShield pants
    Tick_01.jpg
    Permethrin is not intended to kill insects (as applied to clothing and gear). Rather, it is a neurotoxin that essentially scrambles their brains rendering them incapable of biting (most of the time). It does have some repellant properties as well, although its primary function is as a neurotoxin. Had you placed that tick on your skin, it almost assuredly would not have bitten you.

When I got my first pair of Insect Shield treated ExOfficio pants, my BF and I took our dogs on a hike around a lake through dry, waist-high grass. He and the dogs were covered in ticks*; I had none. Now, I always use Permethrin-treated stuff when I expect biting insects to be present.

* I don't live in an area with Lyme disease or other tick-borne diseases

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast