Thread: corner studs?

corner studs?

I can't find the studfinder because we've been moving stuff around in the garage. Since corners often have multiple studs, would it be possible to drive my eye bolt into the corner? Or would that be structurally unsound?

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Under/Top quilt
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

corner studs?

Eh, i'd just try and find the stud-finder. Not worth the risk of multiple holes in your wall that might not even work for a hammock. Just my opinion though.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    I've been building houses for about 20 years, putting an eye bolt in the corner would be one of the better places. also around door or Windows there are double stack studs that will work,top plates are another good place to put them where the wall meets the ceiling. Just make sure you don't get in between two studs sandwich together you want to hit the middle of at least one of them,the corner shouldn't be a problem because they're overlapped.

Here's a quick rough sketch of typical wood framing in a normal house that might help.20180226_215655.jpg
    Last edited by Carrico; 02-27-2018 at 00:58.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Oh I see, thanks for the advice! I may go ahead and put it in the corner since the extra sturdiness would be good.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    That's what I would suggest especially if your house is framed with 2×4, I've actually had studs snap just trying to stand up large sections of walls when framing, it doesn't take much, a crack, a knot or a sap line can greatly weekend a stud. every time I hear of someone hanging off a 2×4 stud especially towards the middle of the wall I kind of cringed. With that said, plenty of people have done it successfully without tearing the wall apart:<) I sleep in a hammock every night and my eye bolts are fastened into my top plates, my walls are about 14 and a half feet apart and it makes for kind of a high off the ground hang,but I don't have to worry about ripping a stud out of my wall. If you need an to hang in the middle of a wall, I would suggest bolting a board horizontally across at least three studs and hanging off that instead.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Guess I'm lucky. My shack is 100 years old with REAL 2x4's. Have eye bolts in 3 different rooms for hanging my hammocks.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Pre-drill the hole for the hook, so it doesn't split. I've done this in both corners and single wall studs, never had any failures.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

• + New Posts