WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/Costco Q
    Suspension
    Whoopi Sling

Time for an Upgrade

Hello all, been in the hobby a few years now. I'm currently rocking an ENO double nest with the poly filled under and top quilt with the ENO Profly tarp. I'm into the hobby enough that I was to go lighter and more comfortable and have started looking into some other hammocks. This hammock would be used almost exclusively for backpacking trips and I'm by no means ultralight but I'm starting to try to shave those ounces off this year. I'm a bigger guy (6'2" 270lb) and was looking into some different hammocks out there. The hammock that I hear people always talking about on here and on the YouTube video on channels I watch is the Warbonnet Blackbird. If I went that route I would definitely go with the XLC. I guess what I'm looking for is some other recommendations of hammocks to look into. I've heard a lot of good stuff about dream hammocks and the dutchware chameleon, but I feel overwhelmed with all the customizations available. Any recommendations or guidance would be most welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Under/Top quilt
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Time for an Upgrade

Almost all of the options you'll hear about here are going to be good options. It will just come down to personal preference for you.

Hammock
    Dream hammock Raven
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I just bought a raven from dream hammock. I wont know much til it gets here in a month. But that's another option to look at.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    You'd be hard pressed to beat the features, weight, and comfort of the XLC so stick with your first inclination and start shopping for that tarp and quits

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Burrow Econ
    Suspension
    Straps/buckle
    I totally understand how all of the choices and hammock jargon gets confusing and overwhelming. I first bought a hammock a few years ago (BBXLC), then sold it because I was planning on going back to the ground. Buuut, the hammock kept calling to me. So I gave in and bought another hammock, again a BBXLC. I chose the BBXLC both times because "it made sense", I didn't have to "figure it out". Also, this time I went with a Wooki vs. Incubator, which I used the first go-around, because once again, I don't have to fiddle with a Wooki, it made sense...just strap it on and you're ready to go. Moral of the story: In my opinion you can't go wrong with a BBXLC.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    I like the looks of the BBXLC, but have no experience in one. I started using hammocks for backpacking and camping over 15 years ago with a Hennessey Expedition (which was awesome), then made a Speer DIY, and several other DIY hammocks, and then jumped in on the Chameleon Kickstarter campaign. While I like all of the hammocks (and still have all of them), the Chameleon is by far my favorite. It is the only 11 footer I have, so that probably accounts for the fact that it is so comfortable, but the modularity of the design, the zippers, the bugnet, top cover, the dyneema straps with beetle buckles, the peak shelf, D rings, pull-outs...it just all works together flawlessly. I find it convenient, light, super comfortable, and, the options just keep growing. There are a ton of great options out there from cottage vendors (and I would love to try them all ), but I can highly recommend the Dutchware Chameleon from my experience with it.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow 1.7 #5273
    Tarp
    HG Cuben+doors
    Insulation
    Loco Libre TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountnormal View Post
    So I gave in and bought another hammock, again a BBXLC. I chose the BBXLC both times because "it made sense", I didn't have to "figure it out".
    I almost bought a BBXLC for this very reason. But then I remembered this was a long-term purchase and a product I would use often. And that it's my personality to customize and want things adjusted to me.

So I took the time to understand and think on the measurements, details and accessories I really needed and what was just extra weight. I was overwhelmed at first but the feeling went away as I understood my long term needs better. I think that's key.

With DreamHammock, my biggest unknowns were taken care of by emailing the staff. That solved questions of fabric choice, length and wight. The remaining decisions were just insignificant things like colors and how many pockets I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by FakeDavidBowie View Post
    Almost all of the options you'll hear about here are going to be good options. It will just come down to personal preference for you.
    I agree with this. While I'm very happy with my Dream Hammock Sparrow and how it's dialed in specifically for me, I don't think the BBXLC would be less comfortable and useful to a significant degree.

The Sparrow was more money than a BlackBird, but as long as it lasts a long time through quality stitching, durable zippers and fabric, I'll see it as worth it. So far so good.

Hammock
    DIY dl bridge
    Tarp
    Diy silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor ink straps
    You totally can't go wrong with a XLC. It's fantastic and so is the Ridgerunner.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    I've just purchased the BB XLC to complement my Ridgerunner. While the Ridgerunner is very comfortable, the BB XLC could be lighter for backpacking. This is especially true for single layer; I suppose the underquilt protector might keep mosquitos away when required.

I got the DL 1.7 to ensure less damage when lending it to my family.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/Costco Q
    Suspension
    Whoopi Sling
    I just weighted my current hammock setup and it's just over 8 pounds Whatever I go with definitely needs to be lighter. Trying to make my way down to ultralight slowly. I haven't weighted everything I have yet but I think my base weight is currently around 25 lb.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast