Dutchware
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Dream Hammock

Anyone have a Dream Hammock Sparrow or Thunderbird? I am wanting feedback on both, I am interested in ordering one. Any information would be helpful, thank you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I have a Sparrow i got for Christmas. I haven’t taken it out camping yet, but i have hung it and it’s very nice. The 1.6 hyperD has a great feel. Not much else i can tell you at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by jdy98p View Post
    I have a Sparrow i got for Christmas. I haven’t taken it out camping yet, but i have hung it and it’s very nice. The 1.6 hyperD has a great feel. Not much else i can tell you at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks !!!!

Hammock
    DH Sparrow or DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben Fiber Palace
    Insulation
    EE, LL, + UGQ down
    Suspension
    Kevlar w/ BH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Longbow44 View Post
    Anyone have a Dream Hammock Sparrow or Thunderbird? I am wanting feedback on both, I am interested in ordering one. Any information would be helpful, thank you.

I have a Sparrow. 11-footer with net and topcover, quilt hooks, in Robic 1.7 XL fabric. I'm 250# presently and 5'7" and I find that fabric and length is very comfortable. If I were lighter I would have gone with the hyperD single layer. Love being able have the top off, the net, or the top cover. Have used it all three ways and on many trips already. I am really glad I did the quilt hooks because they really help keep it where I want it. Also had them put a large pocket on the side of my headend and a ridgeline organizer. Both get used a lot and I'm happy with them. I recently ordered a peak shelf from Dutch that I added to the head-end too. I found that too many of my things are black and they all blend in and get lost in the bottom of the hammock. The shelf is nice to put clothes I'm changing into so they don't get lost in my quilts. It's also a good spot of a jacket at night if you need to take off or put on a layer. Extremely happy with it. You can probably see some pictures of it in my profile somewhere. It's the black bottom and buffalo check plaid top. They only thing I think I would change in hindsight would be to get a different color bottom so that it would be easier to find things (probably a red to go with the plaid top).
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by IcyThunder View Post
    I have a Sparrow. 11-footer with net and topcover, quilt hooks, in Robic 1.7 XL fabric. I'm 250# presently and 5'7" and I find that fabric and length is very comfortable. If I were lighter I would have gone with the hyperD single layer. Love being able have the top off, the net, or the top cover. Have used it all three ways and on many trips already. I am really glad I did the quilt hooks because they really help keep it where I want it. Also had them put a large pocket on the side of my headend and a ridgeline organizer. Both get used a lot and I'm happy with them. I recently ordered a peak shelf from Dutch that I added to the head-end too. I found that too many of my things are black and they all blend in and get lost in the bottom of the hammock. The shelf is nice to put clothes I'm changing into so they don't get lost in my quilts. It's also a good spot of a jacket at night if you need to take off or put on a layer. Extremely happy with it. You can probably see some pictures of it in my profile somewhere. It's the black bottom and buffalo check plaid top. They only thing I think I would change in hindsight would be to get a different color bottom so that it would be easier to find things (probably a red to go with the plaid top).
    I have heard of this peak shelf. Do you have any pictures of it?

Hammock
    DH Sparrow or DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben Fiber Palace
    Insulation
    EE, LL, + UGQ down
    Suspension
    Kevlar w/ BH
    Images
    Not on mine specifically, but you can find it here:
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/clip-peak-shelf/

However, the clips make me nervous a little and, had I realized the use of such things earlier, I would have had Dream Hammock do the the shelf directly when I ordered. There offer it as an add on and I'd do it, if I went back in time.
    https://www.dreamhammock.com/Sparrow...rcescroll=true
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I had a DH Raven that I sold to fund the Sparrow I recently ordered. I decided that I wanted the Sparrow over the Tbird because doesn't have a dedicated end. I liked the ability to lay any which way I wanted to in the Raven and expect the Sparrow will perform similarly.

My Raven was a SL and I liked the ability to insert a Evazote CCF pad between the layers of my WBBB XLC. That was a primary factor in deciding to spend the money on a DL Sparow. I also liked the way the top cover/net fits on the Sparrow more than on the Raven, but I never had a problem with the Raven either, it just looks like a cleaner design.

My Raven was a SL 2.2 Hex70 XL. I liked this fabric, but mostly it is the heaviest duty fabric offered. The Raven was purchased used off the HF forum. My Sparrow is a DL with the 2.2 Hex70 XL. Even though I weigh 175lbs and other fabrics would work, I went heavy duty figuring why skimp on durability for mere ounces?

I currently am hanging full time. The Sparrow is intended for hanging at home or truck camping trips. For this purpose I like to rotate between the Exped Ergo, the WBBB DL XLC, and the Raven (soon to be replaced by the Sparrow)

I have other hammocks that are light weight and are intended for my passion, back packing. The Hammocktent Gamma UL and Beta fulfill this niche. I considered the SL Raven light enough for backpacking too, but ninety degree hammocks are by far the most comfortable for my height and weight (6 foot x 175lbs) and preference, providing the flattest lay and the best side sleeping of hammocks I have used. But all designs (90*, GEs, and bridge) have their pros and cons depending on personal preferences and intended use.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    I have an 11 ft sparrow DL in 2.2 oz Hex 70. It is very comfortable, and had many add ons/options, and has the most customization of any cottage hammock. I also weigh #285, and needed the max weight capacity for comfort, as I was concerned about too much stretch in the hammock. I like the fact that the sparrow is symmetrical, so there is no dedicated head or foot end. This is a true 4 season hammock, and not intended for SUL backpacking. For that, try to get a Darien 11 ft with net only in the 1.7 robic. or a Dutch Half zipped.

The Dutchware Gear Chameleon is also VERY similar to the DH Sparrow, and priced relatively close to each other. I like the Chameleon as well though, and if I could go back, would probably get an 11 ft chameleon, as I don't have a need for a paisley hammock, and the Dutchware patented Vision zipper and overall weight looked to be a tad lighter with the Chameleon in a 4 season hammock. If you want to see my hammock, look it up on dream hammock.com, it was order #5202.

Both Dutch & Co, and the Smurfs of Dream Hammock are amazing vendors and a joy to work with. I have gear from both, and Dutch bling can be an addiction, just sayin...
    Last edited by Tyroler Holzhacker; 02-21-2018 at 10:32.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    I've had a Sparrow since early 2016 (# 2779). It's a double-layer because I'm about 240 lbs. these days. I've used it in all kinds of weather from 80° down to -15°, and I like it very much.

I use the quilt hooks and am glad I had them attached. I also have the side tie-outs and though I don't use them all the time I have been glad to have them on occasion. I made the inside of mine bright yellow for the reason that IcyThunder mentions: it is much easier to find stuff against the yellow background, especially dirt and pine needles! I took the idea from my Red Oxx luggage - they make the interiors of many of their bags bright red for that same reason.

Not really sure what else to add - the ordering experience was great, I liked being able to customize, and it has performed well and is quite durable. I've used it with Arrowhead, Loco Libre, and HammockGear underquilts without any problems. If you have specific questions I'm sure many of us will be willing to help answer them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12 & WD13
    Insulation
    UGQ, HG
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I waffled between these 2 last year, and settled on the Sparrow due to the dual zipper configuration, that I would not need to reach up to one end to open and close it.
    I got a double layer 1.6 Hex material, 11 ft long and love this hammock.
    You cannot go wrong with either one.
    Have fun deciding on al the options and colors they offer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast