Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I got a walk up permit. I started the next day. 42 lbs pack. Resupply in 7 days.
    Hermits Rest, down Boucher, out to Slate, dry camp for 2 nights, then East to Hance Rapids by way of supply at Phantom Ranch (shower). Dry at Cremation, a little water at Lone Pine. Up New Hance staying half way up after leaving Red Canyon. I was really slow going up New Hance, I remember that 'trudging' pace well.
    2 weeks solo. A highlight of my life.

Grand Canyon is a place one has to experience to understand.
    A small taste can be had by reading Colin Fletcher's book "The Man Who Walked Through Time". He claimed to be the first to walk the length of the Grand canyon national Apark, at the time. But, Harvey had already been there.
    Or the writings of Harvey Butchart, such as "Grand Obsession: Harvey Butchart and the Exploration of Grand Canyon "
    And, John Wesley Powell "The Exploration of the Colorado River and Its Canyons". A fascinating story of a one armed civil war veteran, and a few chosen people, riding boats down the Colorado river for the first time ever. Unknown territory at the time.

Hammock or not, one really should go and get "Into the ditch". At least once. Summer in the ditch can be really really hot. I have always liked November/December. I turned around 2 days into a 7 day trip the first week of May one year because it was soooo hot. Wake at 3 AM, hike at 5 AM, stop and find shade, or make shade with a tarp, until 5-6 PM. We could not carry enough water for one day. 12 liters total, for 2 of us. A dry camp, Cremation on the Tonto trail, was coming in a few days. So, we turned around, and said "Another day". And we were not even on the bottom, but half way down.
    I say that to caution you to learn about desert travel, what water really means in the desert, and the Grand Canyon BEFORE you go.
    And, when you understand that better, you can understand this video post as it is. An awesome undertaking.

Ken in NC
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    WBRR and 11' Dutch
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Spectacular views Kurt. Excellent job making the video and basically making a trail encyclopedia! Those ascents are the real deal.
    I enjoy working for my heat...it seems to make my food taste better. -Richard Proenneke

2TiedUp YouTube Channel

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiedUp View Post
    Spectacular views Kurt. Excellent job making the video and basically making a trail encyclopedia! Those ascents are the real deal.
    Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I've done worse ascents, but not with a such a heavy pack on my back!

--Kurt
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Another interesting and enjoyable Canyon read:

We Swam the Grand Canyon: The True Story of a Cheap Vacation that Got a Little Out of Hand
    by Bill Beer and John Dagget.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123