Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Went on a short hike with a buddy recently and it rained most of the time. I was using a spindrift for the first time in the rain. I currently pack the whole combo (without tarp or suspension) at the bottom of my dyneema packliner. The WBRR already hangs kinda low (particularly without the bars) and the spindrift hangs even lower. We were night hiking and chose a poor spot to stealth camp because of the dark and inexperience. We woke up with a few inches of water under our hammocks! It was very difficult to break down with out the spindrift touching the ground in these conditions. I wasn’t sure how water resistant the spindrift was at the time and it was hard to see if the UQ was touching or not once I took the bars out; especially because the water was actively rising!

I’m pretty sure a LST would make it MUCH easier to take down when the ground is wet while keeping the shelter clean and dry.

Needless to say, I have since ordered a small silnylon WL-LST

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Senior Member Andy "Bull" Bullock's Avatar
    Hammock
    WB ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB lynx & Costco
    Suspension
    straps+Dutch bling
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    Went on a short hike with a buddy recently and it rained most of the time. I was using a spindrift for the first time in the rain. I currently pack the whole combo (without tarp or suspension) at the bottom of my dyneema packliner. The WBRR already hangs kinda low (particularly without the bars) and the spindrift hangs even lower. We were night hiking and chose a poor spot to stealth camp because of the dark and inexperience. We woke up with a few inches of water under our hammocks! It was very difficult to break down with out the spindrift touching the ground in these conditions. I wasn’t sure how water resistant the spindrift was at the time and it was hard to see if the UQ was touching or not once I took the bars out; especially because the water was actively rising!

I’m pretty sure a LST would make it MUCH easier to take down when the ground is wet while keeping the shelter clean and dry.

Needless to say, I have since ordered a small silnylon WL-LST

In that situation I’m thinking I’d have to remove the spindrift and pack it separately if it was wet. Because if you shove it into the LST wet with the insulation and hammock, you’re going to have a damp everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner/W.Logics Snipe
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    LocoLibre UQ,WLTQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bks, whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    I'm looking at getting a Lazy Slug for my RR and wanted to know what those of you who have them think of it? Any opinion on mess vs nylon? I was thinking the mess would pack easier but the nylon would be more durable. I'd be looking at 4 season. Thoughts?
    I have a WBRR and Cloudburst tarp.
    ... For the Tarp - I went with Mesh (Made by JuneBug Dawn) because of the potential dampness or rain and ease of air flow and drying factor.

... For the RR Hammock - I went with the Bridge Slug, SilNylon large (By Wilderness Logics) because it protects from snagging, dirt and UV wear and rubbing. Yes overexposure to Sunlight can damage and fade nylon. http://wildernesslogics.com/BRIDGE-H...-SLUG-BLST.htm

I got the large so in winter you can leave your TQ & UQ, small pillow inside and ready to go on to the next campsite.
    Give Marty a call and he will be glad to explain it in more detail.
    MooseMan
    North Carolina
    "It is easier to prevent bad habits than to break them" <Ben Franklin>

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy "Bull" Bullock View Post
    In that situation I’m thinking I’d have to remove the spindrift and pack it separately if it was wet. Because if you shove it into the LST wet with the insulation and hammock, you’re going to have a damp everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well the spindrift was dry enough, just uncomfortably close; about 2 inches above a big deep water puddle. The problem came from the big drop that happens when you take the bars out. I also noticed when I washed the spindrift in my bathtub, it certainly is water resistant and a quick little partial drop into the water when taking down is probably nothing to worry about. Which is good because that’s about what happened. I have the new bushwhacked camo version if that makes a difference.

The experience certainly gave me a lot of food for thought; which is exactly what I want and need anyway.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Mine's the one in the photos on the website. I originally asked about just buying a single tapered one and Marty started asking what I needed. Before I knew it, the first bridge LST showed up on my doorstep. I like the nylon but it doesn't pack down quite as small as I'd like. However, it makes setup and takedown super fast and easy. Since it's a bit bulkier than packing without I usually just use the LST on my kayaking trips. It's no problem to cram my whole sleep system in a drybag, squeeze out the air, and seal the top. It's a bit tougher to wrangle it into the bottom of my pack.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12