DWG + SLD Voyager
    Tarp
    WBEdge+SLD WindH
    Insulation
    SLD IUQP
    Suspension
    DWG + WBFisHooks

Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 2.0 Backyard Winter Testing

Round 1 winter "Cyclone Bomb" as the news stations put it came across the east coast with temps dipping into the low teens and winds gusting up to 50-60 mph. Thought this would be the perfect backyard gear test and it was really noisy and I got my butt handed to me from the wind and cold but no biggie. Ice was blowing all up in on the net as my new top cover didn't make it in time so had to move forward. Using the new Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 2.0 with Wooki UQ 20 degree and modified WB Edge tarp with doors plus an Outdoor Vitals 0 degree bag. Just a few pics enjoy!!
    20180104_062444.jpg20180104_060848.jpg20180104_062803.jpg20180107_005056.jpg20180108_091602.jpg20180108_092145.jpg20180107_005102.jpg20180105_113154.jpg20180107_005045.jpg
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Wow, I'm amazed that the blizzard conditions blew that much snow up on the top of the hammock. You needed a shovel to build a wall around the bottom of the tarp.

Senior Member Andy "Bull" Bullock's Avatar
    Hammock
    WB ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB lynx & Costco
    Suspension
    straps+Dutch bling
    Jealous of the wookie. What did the temp drop to? I couldn’t deal with the noise and cold so I retreated. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DWG + SLD Voyager
    Tarp
    WBEdge+SLD WindH
    Insulation
    SLD IUQP
    Suspension
    DWG + WBFisHooks
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Wow, I'm amazed that the blizzard conditions blew that much snow up on the top of the hammock. You needed a shovel to build a wall around the bottom of the tarp.
    It was windy as all get up so snow was blowing up down left right all night... wasn't until the morning that got out and started to build a little snow drift wall.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DWG + SLD Voyager
    Tarp
    WBEdge+SLD WindH
    Insulation
    SLD IUQP
    Suspension
    DWG + WBFisHooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy "Bull" Bullock View Post
    Jealous of the wookie. What did the temp drop to? I couldn’t deal with the noise and cold so I retreated. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You could hear the wind howling a mile away moving in closer winding through the trees and then bam! It would smack into the tarp and hammock. Temps were around 15-25 F plus wind chill. Wooki did good but i would have been better with under cover because Wooki got hit with snow ice and slush.

Hammock
    WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepp / Renegad
    Suspension
    buckle straps
    Does overlapping the door flaps by 1-2 inches on the tarp help any? Guessing that the snow drift is also coming from below, so that snow wall would help. Was the wind coming from primarily one direction towards your setup, or swirling from all directions? I try to aim my superfly doors into the wind, and overlap the flaps to create a "bullet" shape.

I also put my shoes/boots in a plastic retail bag which helps to keep some of the gunk off them.

Hammock
    DWG + SLD Voyager
    Tarp
    WBEdge+SLD WindH
    Insulation
    SLD IUQP
    Suspension
    DWG + WBFisHooks
    Quote Originally Posted by whistle_norvell View Post
    Does overlapping the door flaps by 1-2 inches on the tarp help any? Guessing that the snow drift is also coming from below, so that snow wall would help. Was the wind coming from primarily one direction towards your setup, or swirling from all directions? I try to aim my superfly doors into the wind, and overlap the flaps to create a "bullet" shape.

I also put my shoes/boots in a plastic retail bag which helps to keep some of the gunk off them.
    Oh you mean to close the doors properly... yeah I got lazy and underestimated. The reality is the WB Edge tarp is not a full coverage winter tarp like theWB Superfly so the sides are shorter and that is where the wind was blowing from... all directions.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Papatechie View Post
    The reality is the WB Edge tarp is not a full coverage winter tarp like theWB Superfly so the sides are shorter and that is where the wind was blowing from... all directions.
    Yea, get a Superfly and your experience will be very different but again that's more tarp for the wind to catch as well. It's just tough to hand in those conditions.

Hammock
    DWG + SLD Voyager
    Tarp
    WBEdge+SLD WindH
    Insulation
    SLD IUQP
    Suspension
    DWG + WBFisHooks
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Yea, get a Superfly and your experience will be very different but again that's more tarp for the wind to catch as well. It's just tough to hand in those conditions.
    I agree not the conditions i would go out it and if it were a trip I'd probably cancel. But the Warbonnet gear performed without any damage and i never caught a cold so I'm definitely a fan.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Funtime out in a blizzard....Whooooooooo Buddy)))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast