WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG Standard CF
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix & Burro
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

NH - Ethan Pond Overnight Backpack - March 10-11, 2018

Join me on a fun winter backpacking trip to the Ethan Pond Campsite. On our way to the campsite, we’ll take short diversion to Mt. Wiley, a 4,000 footer.

The campsite features one 8-person shelter (bring your own shelter just in case), 3 single and 2 double tent platforms (expect them to be buried) is just next to Ethan Pond. There is potable water from a spring (be prepared to melt snow). There is a composting outhouse, a dishwashing area, and metal food boxes for bear protection.

I posted this trip to the New England Over 40 Hiking Group on meetup.com Hammock Forum members will be added as my guests.

This trip is intended for experienced winter hikers and backpackers. Experienced winter hikers with 3-season backpacking experience are welcome.

If you want to attend, please send me a PM with your name, phone number and best time to call. I will call you to discuss the trip and to make sure you have the necessary skills and equipment to be safe and have a good time.

Here is our itinerary.

DAY 1
    We start from the Ethan Pond Trailhead in Crawford Notch. We hike West on the Ethan Pond Trail for 1.6 Miles to Wiley Ridge Trail. We’ll ascend on the Wiley Ridge Trail for 1.1 miles to the Summit of Mt. Wiley (4.285 feet). The summit is forested. But, a lookout nearby offers fine views of Crawford Notch, Webster Cliffs, and weather permitting, the southern Presidential Range. We retrace out steps back to the Ethan Pond Trail. We continue
    West on the Ethan Pond trail 1 mile to the Ethan Pond Campsite. Total distance for today is approximately 5 miles.

DAY 2
    We return to the along the Ethan Pond Trail 2.8 miles to the Ethan Pond Trailhead.

Due to the nature of this trip, the following special rules apply.

1) Attendance is limited to six persons maximum.

2) All attendees will be screened to make sure they have the necessary skills experience and equipment for this trip.

3) Persons who do not provide contact information will not be allowed to attend

The following equipment is mandatory (this is not a full list)
    • Wind proof shell and pants
    • Extra insulation
    • Insulated winter boots
    • Face mask or balaclava
    • Microspikes or other traction devices
    • Snowshoes
    • Headlamp
    • Sleeping bag or quilts rated to Zero degrees or lower

Disclaimer:
    As a condition of your voluntary participation in this activity you acknowledge and agree to the following: this activity involves inherent risks that can cause property damage, injury, illness, disability, and/or death to participants and/or others; you assume all risk associated with this activity; you are responsible for having the necessary knowledge, skills, abilities, clothing, and equipment.
    1960HikerDude.com

“Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.” ― Jack Kerouac

Hammock
    SMR Pares/Chameleon
    Tarp
    Smr Stratos/Nube
    Insulation
    20deg loco libre
    Suspension
    SMR EZ slings
    Im def interested, I think I seen your going to the Nor'easter hang, Im going as well so ill talk to you about up there.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG Standard CF
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix & Burro
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Cool. We can discuss it then
    1960HikerDude.com

“Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.” ― Jack Kerouac

Even though Ive been up Wiley a bunch of times, Ive yet to do it on the winter. I winter hiked Avalon Field and Tom but skipped Wiley because of this trip lol The lookout has one of the best views in Crawfords notch!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    I may be interested in this. I will talk to you at NEHHA. Sounds like you are going for the 4,000' in winter list.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG Standard CF
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix & Burro
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by tollermama View Post
    I may be interested in this. I will talk to you at NEHHA. Sounds like you are going for the 4,000' in winter list.
    I stopped pursuing lists when I finished my NH 4,000ers several years ago. Now I just do hikes that interest me. Look forward to seeing you in Chesterfield this weekend.
    1960HikerDude.com

• + New Posts