Chameleon, SLD, Hennessey, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Planning a DIY
    Insulation
    OneTigris UQ
    Suspension
    Multiple

Netless vs chameleon

Hey all I'm wondering the differences between the netless 11' hammock vs the chameleon. I've watched a bunch of you tube vids and for the life of me I can't see a big difference between them other than price. I'm looking for a pair of hammocks that I can rig with a spreader bar so my wife and I can share a pair of trees when back packing and sleep side by side. Thanks

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Dutch Bridge Hooks
    full net vs no net

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    The Chameleon allows you the option to share a common zippered bug net while hanging in tandem with a spreader bar. I have these components, and it's a nice set-up.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    As the others indicated, the netless hammock body is quite plain, unless knotty mods are added, whereas the chameleon has a zipper along each lengthwise edge to accommodate various accessories such as a bugnet, topcover and Double Dutch net system.

In addition to the zippers, there are a series of hooks and d-rings to attach accessories such as storage pockets, peak shelves (which are great) and tie-outs.

Either type of hammock can be used for double hanging, but as kitsap was describing, the Double Dutch is a bugnet system especially for double hanging with chameleons. It consists of a fabric strip that gets zippered to the inner zippers of both hammocks, and also the net which zips to outside of both hammocks, leaving the inside fully open between hammocks.

My wife and I hung with netless hammocks for about 1-1/2 yrs, but I used a fronkey net while my wife used none. She gets highly claustrophobic in a fronkey. When Dutch pre-announced the Double Dutch, I immediately acquired a used chameleon for her. It came with both the top cover and bugnet. The first night (indoors), she had the bugnet on but left it zipped open. Next night she closed it a bit more, and again the next night. She never closed it completely, but having control of the zipper seemed to give her more confidence. Once the Double Dutch was released, I ordered it and a chameleon for myself. Our first night out with it proved to be very successful, she had zero claustrophobic issues. We've spent quite a few weekends out with it at various group hangs including all of fall MAHHA week. She hasn't complained about the net once.

EDIT > The special reversible zippers on the chameleon allow all the top accessories to be flipped over so that you can choose to lay either right or left. This does not apply to the Double Dutch system.
    Last edited by sqidmark; 12-30-2017 at 23:08.

Hammock
    chameleon 1.6
    Insulation
    loco libre
    Suspension
    straps, beetles.
    i had the net-less, and fronkey, liked it, but went with the chameleon and attached bug net. love it. such a cleaner set-up. my old gear is making someone else very happy. thanks dutch!

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6W 11'
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex
    Insulation
    Snugpack UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have both the netless wide and chameleon wide. I use the netless inside or when going somewhere not very buggy. Chameleon is used all other times. I don’t like the net unless I have to have it due to bugs. I do love the top (winter) cover chameleon as it adds just bit more wind protection and warm to the hammock but still allows a lot of air flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon, SLD, Hennessey, ENO DN
    Tarp
    Planning a DIY
    Insulation
    OneTigris UQ
    Suspension
    Multiple
    Thanks for the info y'all. Just bought a gently used Chameleon! So stoked!

• + New Posts