Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    When I bought my quilts from cumulus, I asked them to make pockets on topquilts and underquilts as well. To store my phone and camera batteries in the winter. Its quite common to have a pocket in the sleeping bag for example, dont see any reason not to have one in the topquilt.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I agree with the rest that a vest/shirt or jacket pocket is more functional.
    I have seen custom quilts with pockets in the past. Vendors will bend over backwards for the right $. I've seen chest pockets and foot pockets in quilts. Both were beautifully installed at a cost, but the performance was not as expected.
    I have a quilt with a pocket. IMO, its a cute gimmick, but not that functional. I need to still carry the items around camp and the items do not stay warm if I leave them in the unoccupied quilt. A jacket pocket is the best. A quilt pocket is just one more place to loose/misplace my phone...

Katt, you don't sew, but $10-$15 wont even cover the extra steps involved to make what your envisioning happen. It is complicated to add a zippered pocket to the thin material. The added weight of items in the pocket does cause issues with how the quilt lofts and drapes.
    As you mentioned, the phone interferes with your personal comfort when worn in a pocket. How would a weighted pocket with a phone in the quilt be any different?

My personal fav is a zippered pocket in an anorak/hoodie. The items are secure during the day and night, stay warm, and really not noticeable while sleeping.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Watertooner View Post
    I have the Warbonnet XLC and the RR. The storage options on both work well - except for keeping things (phones, etc) warm on a 15º night like last night. I didn't have pockets on either part of my baselayer (shirt, pants), but I did manage to keep my phone warm while sleeping. Since this is a family friendly forum, I can't publish how I solved the issue. Suffice it to say that the phone didn't contact my skin for those who may think, "Eww." A quilt pocket such as Kattdogg has in mind is intriguing.
    Keeping the phone warm on a Ridgerunner is easy. Put your phone in one of the saddle bags and then tuck that between your under quilt and the bottom of the hammock. I do this on every winter trip and the phone stays toasty, the Lynx doesn't sag as it's tight as a guitar string and you do not feel the phone at all.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    Then why not sew a pocket to the outside of the hammock fabric? You could even design it to be insulated from both sides, one half insulated by the UQ. No problems rolling over it. Same accessibility and the pocket will stay in a consistent location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I've hung with guys who have had ENO's and they put their things in the hammocks stuff sack that is sewn to the outside of the hammock and flip it into the under quilt. Depending on how much weight is in this pocket it doesn't pull the under quilt out too much.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    When I'm in my Chameleon I used a small cotton bag and a hand warmer to store my phone, fuel, and water filter. So far so good. This is the type of bag I use:

My SLD protoype hammock has that netted pouch built in, but I keep it at the foot end, since usually I have stinky socks in it and I really don't want to sleep with it next to my face. I've toyed around with the idea of a small pouch hung on some shockcord that would go between the outside of my hammock and underquilt.

Seems like I always go with my tried and true option: I have a Terramer brand vest I got from Campmor about 6 or 7 years ago that has a couple zip pockets. It's comfortable to sleep in and there's plenty of room for my phone, extra batteries and a lighter. I was using one of those protective phone cases with the belt clip that I would just clip into my zippered fleece, but I just snapped of the clip again for the 3rd time, so enough is enough.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    My SLD protoype hammock has that netted pouch built in, but I keep it at the foot end, since usually I have stinky socks in it and I really don't want to sleep with it next to my face.
    I also flipped the SLD TL for this reason.

I considered throwing in some hand warmers so my feet would feel the warmth....but i think that is asking too much through the quilt.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I have one of those small sized packing cubes that I always use for my electronics when traveling. It’s large enough that I can fit my phone, Anker charger, and probably one or two more items if needed. I just lay it on my chest when I go to sleep. Since I’m usually pretty sill in a hammock, most mornings it’s still on my chest when I wake up. Sometimes I roll on my side, and it’s usually tucked neatly right up against me. It keeps my Anker and phone nice and warm and allows me to recharge my phone overnight if needed.
    For winter camping, I just bite the bullet and carry an MSR Whisperlite. Yeah, there’s a weight penalty, but I know I have plenty of heat and fuel regardless of the conditions. With the smaller fuel bottle, it’s really not much heavier than the canister stoves.

You could wrap the phone in your extra clothes. That way it can go anywhere that you have extra clothes. If you get another TQ or UQ you would have to sew pockets on them, too.
    Or, leave your phone at home.
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast