Hex 1.0 Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Secret

NH > White Mountains > February Hike and Hang

Well there's been an almost annual winter hang at Sawyer Pond in the Whites, however, after talking to some others this year we may change it up. Hopefully do more hiking throughout the weekend instead of sitting around 1 whole day.
    The one i had in mind is doing a hike/bushwack out to Bear Pond. This is actually my favorite place I've ever hiked to. Some other options were to hike up one of the mountains and be able to ski/snowboard down. Either way it would be a fairly challenging weekend but A LOT of fun!

I'm thinking in february and i'd be free the weekends of the 10th and 24th.

Let the discussion begin.
    DutchWare Gear
    www.DutchWareGear.com

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    HI Alex, thanks for organizing this. Is this the Bear Pond on the back side of the Twinway heading up Redrock Brook? Just wondering what mileage and kind of pace you were thinking of? I want to make sure I won't hold anyone back or be a detriment to the trip and would not go if I did not feel I could keep up or it would impact the group. It looks like a nice place and I saw on the web pics from some one's trip there in 2013. Nice pics of West Bond and the Twinway slide. You are planning on going up the Lincoln Woods Trail I imagine, then onto the Franconia Brook trail then up the Redrock Brook drainage? I hear there is some kind of old railroad grade up there at some point going to the pond.

How many days were you thinking? Were you thinking of doing part of the hike Friday or doing it all on Saturday? It seems from what I could figure out it is at least 8.0 miles possibly more (it is 6.6 miles to Redrock Brook and guesstimate from the map another 2.25-2.5 miles to Bear Pond is that about right?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks
    Is this near Bear Brook State Park?

They have a great archery range there...

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustie Turtle View Post

No, It is in the Pemi Wilderness area in the Whites.

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustie Turtle View Post

Bear Brook State Park is near my house here in Concord, NH. Sawyer Pond is up in Livermore, NH--the trailhead is around an 1' 20" North of Concord. I assume people would go through Lincoln, up the Kanc Highway and park at the Livermore parking area. Do they plow that in the winter? I actually never paid attention in all my years of driving through.

Any how, my daugther and I ski a LOT but I would love a winter hang, so if I will see if I can talk her in to skipping one weekend of skiing to let Dad head out in the woods in the winter!

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    I'm interested. The weekend of the 10th works best for me, but I might be able to make the other week work as well.

Hammock
    Hardline 11ft
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    JacksrBetter
    Suspension
    Dutch bling
    I would also be interested,

I will be coming from Western, NY and would probably spend addtional time in somewhere else on the way back to NY.

So if Someone wants to carpool from the Adirondaks and camp the day before or after there is a hostel in keene valley, ny that i would anticipate staying at on the way back to shower up, refuel and head into the adirondaks for a day or two....

Hammock
    Hex 1.0 Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Secret
    So my goal would be to hike most of the day Friday, Saturday and finish up Sunday at some point. The way in will probably need some trail breaking for the bushwhack part but on the way back out we should be able to just cruise along with no problems.
    I'm not looking to go super fast paced but decent enough to cover the ground needed.

tollermama, that trip in 2013 off west bond slide and up twin way slide was me and 2 others from this forum. It was my favorite hike I've done to date. For the winter hike we would go in from the bottom side off Franconia brook and hike up by the old logging camp and creek bed. I haven't been up that way so there will be a little research and guessing needed to find the exact approach area. Once we get to the split in the creek I know where to go from there though.
    DutchWare Gear
    www.DutchWareGear.com

Hammock
    Hardline 11ft
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    JacksrBetter
    Suspension
    Dutch bling
    Quote Originally Posted by atrane21 View Post
    So my goal would be to hike most of the day Friday, Saturday and finish up Sunday at some point. The way in will probably need some trail breaking for the bushwhack part but on the way back out we should be able to just cruise along with no problems.
    I'm not looking to go super fast paced but decent enough to cover the ground needed.

tollermama, that trip in 2013 off west bond slide and up twin way slide was me and 2 others from this forum. It was my favorite hike I've done to date. For the winter hike we would go in from the bottom side off Franconia brook and hike up by the old logging camp and creek bed. I haven't been up that way so there will be a little research and guessing needed to find the exact approach area. Once we get to the split in the creek I know where to go from there though.
    what is the experience level needed to accompany this trip? Are there any technical ascents/ice climbs required?

Hammock
    Hex 1.0 Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by Keroca17 View Post
    what is the experience level needed to accompany this trip? Are there any technical ascents/ice climbs required?
    No special skills needed other than hiking, snowshoeing and good knowledge of cold weather/winter backpacking. There will be some trail breaking more than likely but with a good amount of people to be able to take turns leading should make that effort pretty easy.
    DutchWare Gear
    www.DutchWareGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast