SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by jhawk View Post
    Great looking pics, everyone! I went to the MN Frozen Butt Hang this year so I couldn’t join you all, but I’d love to join on a future hang as I’m right next door in NE Kansas, and we don’t yet seem to have a strong state group that I can find - we’re looking to start one. Glad you all had a great time!
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JHawk, hope you can join us next time!

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Great pics, thanks for sharing!
    Gideon
    Quote Originally Posted by twentybelow View Post
    awesome pictures Dublinlin... thanks so much for taking the time to upload them all !!
    Thanks for pulling this trip together Gideon and Twenty Below! This gathering was so much fun! I’m really glad my daughter and I got to come! It was great for Rem, too...he just has my daughter and I interacting with him day to day and our hiking trips thus far have been four or more females together. The only time he ever gets to interact with men is the rare occasion that I let him do bitework (protection training), but I hate for him to grow up assuming all men are decoys (bite targets), so this was awesome socialization for him(!)—lots of men and never a bite command! He loved every minute last weekend and so did we! It was a lot of fun! I hope this will continue being an annual event!

Quote Originally Posted by mo_hunter View Post
    Great pics! Thanks for sharing.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, MO_Hunter! Hope you can make it to the next one!

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    I think bite training was on Rem's mind when I was throwing the stick for him. He was like, "should I bite the stick or the guy? I mean, I like sticks and all, but...".

mathineer

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by mathineer View Post
    I think bite training was on Rem's mind when I was throwing the stick for him. He was like, "should I bite the stick or the guy? I mean, I like sticks and all, but...".

mathineer

Haha! Nope, Mathineer, he’s just super INTENSE when it comes to apprehending STICKS. He didn’t show any of his bitework body language the whole weekend. If he’d had bitework on his brain, he would’ve fixated on you and totally ignored the stick. He was fixated on his sticks and who he could convince to throw them or play tug with with him.

Truly, he was in sweet puppy mode the entire trip with the exception of when he showed a momentary burst of very bad manners to poor Chase (the other pup) as Chase eagerly tried to greet Rem who was tied to a tree a ways away from me. I gave him a firm correction for that and I know he would’ve been fine with Chase the rest of the weekend if Billy Goat and Shutterbug has been able to stay. He always minds his P’s and Q’s with other dogs after I correct him. Rem’s getting better at being polite to other dogs, but once in a while I still have to remind him. The moment he meets another dog is crucial. When I know I’ll be hiking with someone else’s dogs we don’t “introduce” them first. Letting two strange dogs greet face to face is never a good idea. What works well is to just start out hiking together immediately, everyone on leash, moving FORWARD together. That always works with Rem. Then they are part of the pack and fine to run off leash together after the walk.

I was watching as Chase approached to see if Rem (tied tightly and closely to the tree) would behave when I wasn’t right beside him. He didn’t. So, we have more work to do.
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 01-28-2018 at 10:53.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    Truly, he was in sweet puppy mode the entire trip with the exception of when he showed a momentary burst of very bad manners to poor Chase (the other pup) as Chase eagerly tried to greet Rem who was tied to a tree a ways away from me. I gave him a firm correction for that and I know he would’ve been fine with Chase the rest of the weekend if Billy Goat and Shutterbug has been able to stay.
    Rem did just fine. Sometimes Chase comes on a little strong... he approches too fast and his verbal greetings sound more aggressive than he means them too. He says hi by a weird growley thing that doesn't actually mean he's angry. He needs to learn a better greeting technique. I have also noticed that while it can make me a little nervous, he and other dogs seem to make acquaintance better off lead. Most dogs and him feel more protective of their people when leashed. SO FAR it has worked out well that way with the exception of one roving country dog. That was an extended unpleasant exchange.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
    Rem did just fine. Sometimes Chase comes on a little strong... he approches too fast and his verbal greetings sound more aggressive than he means them too. He says hi by a weird growley thing that doesn't actually mean he's angry. He needs to learn a better greeting technique. I have also noticed that while it can make me a little nervous, he and other dogs seem to make acquaintance better off lead. Most dogs and him feel more protective of their people when leashed. SO FAR it has worked out well that way with the exception of one roving country dog. That was an extended unpleasant exchange.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk
    Chase’s body language was totally “LET’S PLAY!!!” mode! I think they would’ve both done just fine off leash. You are right that dogs tend to be more aggressive meeting up when tied or on leash. Hopefully they’ll get to hike someday together and then we can start them out right, walking forward together to get acclimated. I was just beat by the time we reached the top of the mountain and was in a bit of a panic to get my rig and my daughter’s rig hung before we lost the light and you guys were probably feeling rushed to get down the mountain—so no wonder the dogs were excitable!

• + New Posts
  • Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324