HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoops
    Images

Dutch Half Zip or Dream Hammock Darien

Hi All
    I currently have an 11' Dutchware netless hammock with a fronkey style bugnet, lash it ridgeline, Dynaglide Whoopie suspension with Dutch Whoopie Hooks and kevlar straps. It all comes in at just over 19 oz. I love the hammock, but I am looking to get an integrated net hammock and shed a few ounces. I will likely add my own dynaglide suspension whichever way I go.

I am thinking of either the new Swift/Half-Zip or the Darien. I am light enough for either the 1.0 or 1.2 materials and want to keep the weight as low as possible. Any thoughts comparing these two? I know DH has a great reputation and I have always been very happy with Dutch's service and quality.

Thanks in advance.
    Micah 6:8 ESV
    He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Spend enough nights in the hammock that you can establish your own priorities.

In Colorado it gets cool enough most nights that bugs are not a problem. I use a hammock with a full integrated bug net mostly to keep my top quilt in the hammock when I water the bushes. I sleep most nights with the bug net unzipped.

The best way I have found to use my half-wit is that I hang it backwards. That means that the foot end is lower and the under quilt is installed with the head end at the foot. I can read and take a nap with my head inside the bug net before dinner, but sleep with my feet in the bug net. I suppose you could adjust your pitch, but it is actually nice to read with your head in the high end.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    I don't think Dream Hammock makes their hammocks single layer in 1.0 but you can always ask. I have a Darien and its a great lightweight hammock. However, when I lay in the hammock my ankle ends up turning inward when because the fabric forces it inward. Part of me wants to blame the way it's sewn together: the gathered ends are sewn directly to the netting. If you look at the Half zipped by Dutch or other Dream Hammocks there's a triangle sewn on the ends that seems to keep the sides from tightening up. Of course tie outs my alleviate the issue I am dealing with.

Hammock
    11' Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoops
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ringtail-THFKAfood View Post
    Spend enough nights in the hammock that you can establish your own priorities.
    Thanks for the response. Spending many nights in my hammock (most here in Fl) has taught me that full bug net capability is my priority. I previously had a WBBB, but moved over to a separate net to try it out. It works well, now I am just trying to get opinions between the 2 full net zip hammocks listed.

Thanks Arcana. Good to hear your experience with the Darien.
    Micah 6:8 ESV
    He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Hybrid UHMWPE/MSH
    I think that you might not be getting a ton of replies due to the newness of the Half-Zip and similarity to the Darien. You're basically looking for somebody that has a Darien and decided within the last couple of weeks that they want to purchase a basically identical hammock from a different maker. There aren't likely to be too many people out there like that. Both makers have great reputations, and I don't know that there's going to be too much actual difference between the two hammocks. I'd say if you're happy with Dutch go with the Half-Zip. If you want to try somebody else, go with the Darien. I doubt that you'll be disappointed with either.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HFNole View Post
    Hi All
    I currently have an 11' Dutchware netless hammock with a fronkey style bugnet, lash it ridgeline, Dynaglide Whoopie suspension with Dutch Whoopie Hooks and kevlar straps. It all comes in at just over 19 oz. I love the hammock, but I am looking to get an integrated net hammock and shed a few ounces. I will likely add my own dynaglide suspension whichever way I go.

I am thinking of either the new Swift/Half-Zip or the Darien. I am light enough for either the 1.0 or 1.2 materials and want to keep the weight as low as possible. Any thoughts comparing these two? I know DH has a great reputation and I have always been very happy with Dutch's service and quality.

Thanks in advance.
    Not to add to the complexity of your search, but, yeah, I'm a do that. Check out the SLD Trail Lair and the Little Shop of Hammocks Swift (the _other_ Swift hammock). And check out RSBTR Robic 2.0 as a compromise between lighter fabrics and more robust fabrics.

But my guess is you won't go wrong with either of the hammocks you're looking at.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

• + New Posts