Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    CRO Up Wide
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

Ridge Creek XL Quickie Review

Hi folks,

I purchased two Ridge Creek XL underquilts for my WBRR. One is summer weight and the other three season. I've used both of them a couple of nights now and they work remarkable well. The fit is perfect, attachment is a breeze and their customer service has been superb.

I had a bit of a problem with the Summer weight one - I used it on a 50 degree night and got a little cold due to a high wind. I contacted Paul and he took the time to patiently explain to me that I needed to find a more sheltered location to hang and he even dug out an archived article about hanging in colder weather & sent me a link. He answered all of my questions ( & made me feel a bit stupid due to the solution being so obvious, but that's on me, not him -and to his credit, he did not point out what a moron I was being ) Since then, no problems on subsequent cooler nights...

I also used the three season last weekend on a fairly warm (50 to 60 degree night) to see if it would be too warm, and it was not. I'm kind of amazed that the same quilt can keep me warm when it's cold, but not be overpowering on a warmer night. All things considered, I'm a very happy camper.

I'll follow up when it gets colder regarding how well that three season works below freezing. Bye for now.
    Last edited by Brommeland; 10-14-2017 at 21:06.

I have the 3 season and plan to use it for 3 seasons . I used it in BWCA in September and it got down to low 40's, I was never cold with my 20 degree bag, easily could have went much colder with this combo, I will find a 40 degree TQ for summer and use the XL with that.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    CRO Up Wide
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I'm about to try the 3 season out tonite. It's gonna be in the mid to high 30's overnight here. Will report tomorrow on how it works for me.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY TQ / UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Evo Loops & Straps
    How small does the XL pack down to?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by cmpterman2 View Post
    How small does the XL pack down to?
    It packs into the same stuff sack we use for the Jarbidge. Get a look at it in the Jarbidge how to video or a bit closer view in the Care and Cleaning video...On the How to Videos Page.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    CRO Up Wide
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    OK, follow up after spending the night with a three season Ridge Creek XL:

I snapped on the UQ about a half hour ahead of time to let it fully loft (it was stored loose in a 50 gallon trash bag so it was not compressed to start). Set - up was of course as easy as it gets. (I also laid a ground cloth down to prevent moisture from rising under the quilt and getting it wet). Top insulation was a cold weather North Face synthetic bag half zipped and inverted to work as an overquilt.

Temp was in the low to mid 50's when I got into the hammock (wearing sweat pants and a 200wt fleece & wool cap) and I promptly drifted off to sleep.

I woke up a few hours later and was freezing. I checked my thermometer and ambient temperature was 41 degrees F with little to no wind. I slid a Thermarest Ridgerest pad into place (in addition to the UQ) and warmed right up in about 10 minutes. However, the damage was done - I've got a vicious head cold now.

Admittedly, I am a cold sleeper, so I am not here to trash Paul or his product. I am just reporting my experience. And again, I believe that everyone understands that temp ratings are a subjective estimate and that everyone is different. FWIW I am the coldest sleeper that I know. I also wonder if a proper, wider top quilt might have helped too, but my back - even dead center along my spine - was cold.

For me, this is a summer weight UQ. It is very well designed and extremely well made. It was simply the wrong choice for me in this temp range. I plan to keep it and use it for warmer weather.

I have given my summer weight model to my son (who is a very warm sleeper) and he loves it down into the 50's (so far - he hasn't used it yet in temps where he has found it to be uncomfortable).

I am now looking into winter options.
    Last edited by Brommeland; 10-17-2017 at 14:45.

I just check the actual temperature for Ely Minnesota when I was in the boundary waters in September, and it looks like we got down in the low 30's one night, and a mid 40's. Besides the XL 3 season I had an old 20 degree mummy bag that I used like a top quilt. I'm sure I had some long underwear and pants on as well, but I do not recall ever being cold on any night, and when in the 50's I was way to warm and ended up in shorts and t-shirt and no socks. Maybe not enough cold nights to say for certain, but I did have that one night at 33 and was fine.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    CRO Up Wide
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I tried my three season out again last night - by the mid 40's I was freezing. This is (for me) clearly a summer weight UQ.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC BlackBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    White Cloud, Zeppe
    Suspension
    Whoopies marlinspi
    Quote Originally Posted by Brommeland View Post
    I tried my three season out again last night - by the mid 40's I was freezing. This is (for me) clearly a summer weight UQ.
    It sounds like you may have accidentally gotten a 1S quilt. I recommend you discuss with Paul at AHE.

I've been quite pleased with the performance of my 3S Jarbridge in temps down to the high 20s.

Eric

I have used the RidgeCreek a LOT over the past several years. Not the XL, but it has the same thickness of insulation. I find the temp rating on the Arrowhead site to be accurate for me. It starts feeling cool on my back when temps are in the 20's. The only times I have been too cold, is when I have been sweating in my sleep and the dampness becomes chilly. This can happen with temps in the 40's for me.

I sleep in my light weight base layer, a knit cap, and liner socks. I only add my down hood, thicker socks, gloves, and (rarely) a long sleeved top, when I wake up towards morning. If I started out all bundled up in clothes, I would overheat -and then become chilled from sweat. I wonder if this is happening to you too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast