Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Cool, as long as it works for you that's the important part. Not everyone is the same. Have you tried a liner inside your bag and a thinner base layer set?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a sleeping bag for 5 years. It always kept me warm. I switched to a TQ beginning of this year and haven't looked back. TQ weighs half of what my bag weighs and is so much easier to get in and out of in the hammock. TQ keeps me just as warm as the bag.

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    Cool, as long as it works for you that's the important part. Not everyone is the same. Have you tried a liner inside your bag and a thinner base layer set?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Couldn't agree more with this. For me when I tighten my under quilt tight and tuck my top quilt under it almost feels like a sleeping bag. The amount of air gap around me seems very small if not equal to that of a sleeping bag and I can even pull the top quilt over my head and pull the top draw string to be 100% just like my sleeping bag.

But there has to be a decent amount of warmth difference between a DIY costco top quilt and one made by one of the fine vendors that support all the ladies and gentlemen on this forum.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    I tried liners - not for warmth, though, but to keep my sleeping bag cleaner. They didn't do much for me, and never stayed put anyway. In the mornings, they would always be around my ankles. So I ditched them.

Thinner base layers: I sleep in a hammock full-time, and my sleeping clothes change with the season. In the hottest nights I wear a t-shirt and shorts. The rest of the year it's usually long sweat pants, a t-shirt or long sleeved shirt and a sweatshirt - and often a down vest. I have tried sleeping with less, because it feels weird to wear so much at night. But I inevitably get cold. If I don't give in, it's a miserable night. As I said, it has a lot to do with how much heat your body produces. I doubt that most men really understand what it means if you don't generate a lot of body heat. Maybe try using a top quilt that is rated 10° higher than you would need - so e.g. a 30° instead of a 20° quilt. Being able to zip up my sleeping bag adds a couple of degrees when I get to the end of my comfort zone.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I tried liners - not for warmth, though, but to keep my sleeping bag cleaner. They didn't do much for me, and never stayed put anyway. In the mornings, they would always be around my ankles. So I ditched them.

Thinner base layers: I sleep in a hammock full-time, and my sleeping clothes change with the season. In the hottest nights I wear a t-shirt and shorts. The rest of the year it's usually long sweat pants, a t-shirt or long sleeved shirt and a sweatshirt - and often a down vest. I have tried sleeping with less, because it feels weird to wear so much at night. But I inevitably get cold. If I don't give in, it's a miserable night. As I said, it has a lot to do with how much heat your body produces. I doubt that most men really understand what it means if you don't generate a lot of body heat. Maybe try using a top quilt that is rated 10° higher than you would need - so e.g. a 30° instead of a 20° quilt. Being able to zip up my sleeping bag adds a couple of degrees when I get to the end of my comfort zone.
    Good you found a system, stinks that you have such issues staying warm. Wish I had more tips for you short of an electric blanket since you're a full-time hanger.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex 70D Sym
    Insulation
    HG TQ 20 / UQ 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    For me personally, I've used sleeping bags for a long time, but have always just unzipped them, and thrown them over me like a quilt. It works, so if you want more freedom of movement in a hammock, zipping the sleeping bag open gives you more movement, but it's a lot bulkier and, personally, I feel its more awkward than a quilt. So I would say in terms of ease of use and comfort in a hammock for me is quilt, zipped open sleeping bag, zipped up sleeping bag
    Another note is that the footbox of a fully unzipped sleeping bag is quite small compared to a quilt
    All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Yes, I prefer a semi-rec sleeping bag without hood over a standard top quilt. With all things equal, the weight penalty is minimal, but I gain a lot of warmth by being able to zip up in cold nights. However, I do sleep very cold and can't tolerate even small gaps when temps are lower than 60°. I tried a 20° HG Burrow a long time ago, and found it too narrow to keep it tucked under me to prevent gaps. If I get or make another top quilt, it would have to be wide. But it would still not be as effective as a sleeping bag. It's true that the insulation under you is compressed and doesn't add a lot of warmth. But it still adds warmth by filling small spaces. If you don't produce a lot of heat, it's way easier to keep the insulation warm than small pockets of air. Of course, most people (especially men) sleep a lot warmer than me, and will not feel the difference a zipped up sleeping bag makes over an open top quilt...
    This is my experience too.
    I prefer a mummy bag when temps are below about 40F - all zipped up and draft collars snugged up keeps me the warmest, but as you know temps vary during trips and even during each the night so I find the sleeping bag is easy to open/vent and zip up as needed for temp control. Above 40F and either one works for me.

Mostly, I say use what you have and what you know is reliable.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Top quilt or sleeping bag

Having an 850 fill Marmot °20 bag already...that weighs in at only 1lb 8oz...And a 800 fill UQ...I cant see springing for a TQ...considering the bag has a full length zipper...it gives the best of both worlds....

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    My preference is for sleeping bags. I have several excellent quality down bags and a host of synthetic bags too. I like the extra warmth a sleeping bag unquestionably provides if the need should arise. Even before I was a hanger, I used my bags as top quilts when the temperatures warranted doing so. If the temps dropped below the comfort level of the "TQ bag" I could zip up, snug as a bug. The extra warmth and versatility is well worth the minimal extra weight for this old dog.

Hammock
    90* Hammocktent 2.0
    Tarp
    Hammocktent Cuben
    Insulation
    Exped pad, EE TQ
    Suspension
    kevlar tree strap
    I started using tq's long before I converted to hammocks. My 1st was an EE 10* revelation at 25oz. After one season of backpacking w/tents, I sold all three of my sleeping bags. Two Big Agnes, 0* & 20* & 1 REI 40*, all down & light top end bags. The freedom, comfort, weight advantages, small packing and flexibility of my quilt was too good to go back to a bag. I know everyone is different and what works for me doesn't work for the next guy, but I love my quilts. Now that I'm hanging all the time when I camp, it's definitely top quilts. Now for kayaking, you'd better have a great dry bag, or look into synthetic tq's or bags. Good luck with whatever you choose. I don't know if this is the number one rule of hanging, but HYOH.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast