Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    Big Benny, if you go with the Whoopie Sling option, you will need to order a pair of Carabiners to attach the WS to the tree straps that come with those WS.

If you go with the Buckle Suspension option you can get by without carabiners...but life will be sweeter if you at least, later on, get a set of Dutch Clips off Dutchwaregear.com to slip onto the ends of your buckle straps.
    Good point. I plan to buy some hardware, some bling and stuff. I’m planning to experiment with bling and grappler knot type systems. I’ll just be using a cheap blue tarp to start with and maybe get a fly from a tent or something to tie me over until I buy a good tarp. I’m looking forward to getting out in the bush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbenny View Post
    ... I’m looking forward to getting out in the bush...
    bigbenny in the bush - brilliant! A sheet of plastic or polycro can make a basic tarp to keep the dew and bug spit off.

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix /Bur 30
    Images
    Brandon, is there a way to add the vents to the "old" BB XLC...? Send back to alter, or has anyone tried to DIY alter....? I have been thinking of this, then came across this post.

Images
    We could harvest the zipper of an old XLC top and make a new vented top with your old zipper, we'd charge 110$ to do that. Another option is that the new top and UQP combine and you can use an old XLC inside it without the hammock needing to be compatible, you have XLC and old net top in warm weather and XLC body hanging inside new XLC sock for cold weather.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    WBG's fix is proly the best option, but if you wanted a vent w/o having to buy additional pieces you could always do what Ive had to do since I forgot to add a winter cover to my XLC order and was lucky enough to buy one from another forum member. The cover I bought came from an earlier batch of XLC's than mine so the zipper ends dont match up. But, to get around this I came up with an easy fix that uses the winter cover over top of the netting which keeps the function of the WC while adding in extra heat retention since the net is still attached , AND creates a vent along the zipper side under the pull out since the pull out lines don't do through WC to allow it to cover that area. To attach the WC, just toggle it on the ends and clip all 4 pull out line loops wit the net toggled and zipped all the way on....Attach your UQ like normal and tuck in extra fabric from WC . Using RL quilt hooks with your UQ on top of the WC also helps to keep it tight and in place, although it doesn't need to be tight since the netting is what will give it shape and create space inside. Ive been using mine this way for almost a year now and it works great! It def keeps more heat in while blocking wind and light precip like dense fog , rain sprinkles or snow flurries. Ive even used Atsko brand water repellent ( orange top can found at Walmart) to increase its ability to shed H20, while keeping breathability since its now vented right where my head is to allow condensation to rapidly escape. Since adding the waterproofing spray I haven't had any condensation issues at all, period. It might not be the best way, but so far it seems to be working BETTER this way than when I did zip it on ( albeit it was crooked but still zipped all the way on) since I now have a vent, additional wind protection, added heat retention w/ the net+WC combo and increased range of use with the extra H20 proofing. If I add in my UQP, I extend that range even more w/o needing a tarp. Here's some pics of what I'm talking about. Lemme know if you have any questions. You could always try this until your new WC and UQP arrive from Warbonnet like WBG mentioned above. I also did a vid for my YouTube channel that I'll post in a separate thread once its loaded.

IMG_20171212_114856.jpgIMG_20171212_114830.jpgIMG_20171212_114801.jpgIMG_20171212_115000.jpgIMG_20171212_114641.jpgIMG_20171212_114617.jpgIMG_20171212_114815.jpg
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Is the width/length of the second gen the same as the first? IIRC the body (1st gen) was ~ 63" wide & 126" long last time I had it flat & measured. Couldn't find these specs on the website.. thanks in advance.
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcheviot View Post
    Is the width/length of the second gen the same as the first? IIRC the body (1st gen) was ~ 63" wide & 126" long last time I had it flat & measured. Couldn't find these specs on the website.. thanks in advance.
    Yes, I have both versions and all the measurements are the same - which makes sense because the Wooki UQs need to fit both versions.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Hi, BigBenny.

Good to see another Aussie on the Forum!

Firstly, if you select the Whoopie Sling option (which I recommend and have on my WBBBXLC), you don't need any hardware to attach to the tree straps. Just use the Marlin Spike Hitch and use any stick off a gum tree to secure the knot.
    I always enjoy using a stick around the width of my finger and watching the look of horror on other people's faces when they think all my weight is hanging on it!

Secondly, tree straps are probably the easiest DIY project you can do. Just go to Lincraft and buy the strapping (sorry, can't remember the brand) and sew a loop in one end. For the deluxe version, sew a loop in both ends. The loops obviously have to be sewn strongly enough to hold your weight and just big enough to feed the other end of the strap through it.

Thirdly, a DIY tarp is also not too difficult if you are (or know someone who is) good with a sewing machine.

Finally, make sure you check out Simon at Tier Gear in Tasmania for a local supplier. He's on this forum a bit and sometimes has a discount code for members.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hi Chris,

Sorry for the late reply I thought I had replied but I must have just had a draft (which has gone missing).

Likewise, It’s great to see more Aussies on here. No one I know is into hammocks, or even camping and outdoors that much. And it feels like every one on here is in USA, but I know that’s not true, there’s people from all over on here.

I bought a WBBB XLC for me and a WBBB for my wife. I got whoopies on mine and cinch buckles on hers. I recently spliced some continuous loops and I put them on my XLC and larks headed the whoopies to them. I made an improved soft shackle and plan to make some more. I’m planning to make some Evo Loops (ala Jeff Myers style).

I don’t have or know anyone with a sewing machine but I’m tempted to get one. I’m tempted to have a go a MYOG tarp. I got tree straps with the WBBBs. Some longer ones wouldn’t hurt though. So far I’ve used the whoopies on big fat trees to make up circumference (the load was on the strap, the whoopie wasn’t harming the tree).

I am probably going to make some dog bones and UCRs. I’m having fun slowly experimenting with options and acquiring more pieces to round out my kit and make things easier/faster/better. I think the soft shackles will make a big difference.

Tier Gear is one of the vendors I checked out a fair bit and I recently bought some small items from Simon. I got some toggles (I like using sticks from gum trees as well but want to try them out), and his Mallee Wire, which I really liked and wrote a review on here Tier Gear - Mallee Wire
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...7&share_type=t

I’m tempted to buy one of his tarps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    How long until we see a next generation RidgeRunner? One that has a completely removable bugnet and a winter top cover option? Or a zippable UQP that could attach to the bugnet/topcover and make a sort of modular spin drift?

• + New Posts
  • Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast