Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Hex 12
    Insulation
    DIY TQ / UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Evo Loops & Straps
    Fastmatt - when you went to middle settlement lake, did you go on the lost lake trail? It heads west from middle Settlement lake, forks and then heads north. I read that that was overgrown and had a number of swampy / boggy areas.

I also read that the Big Otter lake trail had a section that required 'wading' - between the Middle Branch lake trail and the East Pond trail.

Essentially we were trying to do the loop around Middle Branch lake and that passes by Middle settlement lake.

I'm getting my information from the 2003 edition ADK Guide to adirondack trails - so it's quite old. It seems hard to find a good source of information about trail conditions / etc.

Thanks

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Welcome! I'm just a little north in Fulton. Check my thread in northeast section.

Here is all the information up to date you could ever ask for. I subscribed to the e-mail and it's very interesting stuff.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7865.html

Insulation
    Diy oq, uq, apex
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I had no problem lean to hopping between middle settlement lake and middle branch lake. I just day hiked it with full pack gearing up for a bigger trip. I will say last I went through somebody had vandalized some signs making navigation a lil more challenging. I did come across that section that may have to be waded towards big otter due to this sign issue but I realized quickly I needed to turn around and take the turn I had walked by. Middle settlement gets a decent amount of foot traffic and if you feel like it at the end of the lake you come from you will be passing very large boulders and some cliffs .where they meet the lake if you bushwack up these there is a nice lookout ledge up there all the way on top and some cool mini caves along the way. Then come back down to trail on right side of lake follow that around and you will pass a very large clear campsite on the lake I've hung there before and if you go past that you will come across a lean to also right on the lake. I've hung there also. When drinking the water in this area make sure you filter and treat properly beavers are very active. Both middle lake also have resident loons.

Senior Member Bennington.Camper's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin
    Suspension
    Straps/marlinspike
    Images
    Welcome!
    Check out the NEHHA gathering that will be happening in western MA at the end of the month. You get to look at a lot of different ideas for hanging and gear options, as well as meeting a great bunch of like minded folks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12