Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle

Broome County NY Parks

I'm not sure how many people are local to the Southern tier of NY state, specifically Binghamton/Broome County. The parks dept of Broome county is doing a survey about the future of the parks, and what kinds of amenities they will offer on the future.

Currently only one paek, Greenwood Park, has campsites. The surgery asks about the possibility of camping at other parks. I made sure to leave several comments about opening up more primitive parks to dispersed camping. If there was enough interest, it would be easy for the County to implement, with very little cost to them.

A park like the Aqua Terra Wilderness would be awesome to dispersed camp. Former 1970s ski resort, now about 500 acres of land to explore.

Just thought I'd throw it out there.

http://broomecountyparks.questionpro.com/

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 2.4/Dutch pup tent
    Tarp
    RSBTR HEX12 DIY
    Insulation
    HG 0*/40*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    survey done!!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Took the survey.
    I'm planning on camping in that area next weekend. My nephew goes to Binghamton University.
    We were going to go to Chenango Valley State Park and was disappointed to find out they didn't allow hammock!!!
    They said they didn't allow anything hung from the trees. I could have solved that problem but I only have one hammock stand. So Look at another place near by. I forget the name but it was a State Park too. I guess it's a State Park thing. Very annoying. Strange thing is I have hung by myself at State Parks and no one bothered me but I want this to go smoothly as this will be his first hammock camping experience.
    So I think I'm taking him to Oakley Corners State Forest. Ever been there? Any Pointers? Thanks.
    PS I'll take pointers on spots near by in PA too. Love camping ANF!
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    LuvmyBonnet, I've camped in Oakley Corners before. It's not bad at all. The forest is split in 2 sections north and south, by dutchtown road. If you turn south off dutchtown road on to hullsville rd, there is a parking area a little way down. From there you can follow a wide path (wide enough for a car) south and there are 2 established sites there. Those aren't bad if you want to be close to your vehicle. Otherwise it's just dispersed camping anywhere in the forest.

There is also Salt Springs State Park just south of Binghamton university, it's in PA. I'm not sure about their rules for hammock hanging, but they may allow it. The park is different from other PA state parks in that it's managed by a volunteer group, and not by the state of PA, so they may be more lenient on hanging. I've been there dozens of times and nevwr once camped or even checked out their sites, so I'd call ahead.

If you want a campground with hot showers and no wilderness, a few miles down rt 17 in owego NY is the Hickories park. It's mostly an RV campground, but there is a decent tent area, and nearly every site in that whole area has good trees to hang from. I've hung there instead of a hotel when attending a work conference, I also bring my travel trailer camper there often. It has clean hot showers, and is very nice, but it's a town owned park, with paved drives, a dog park, electric hookups, and RV sites with sewer hookups. It's hardly "roughing it".

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    Grand trunk Double
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    Mule Tape & 'biner
    I am in the Syracuse region now but lived in Johnson City for quite a few years in the late '80s. We still go to the area and camp from time to time.

• + New Posts